Is there anyway to get outa the burned out of wrenching phase

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
candymancan

Is there anyway to get outa the burned out of wrenching phase

Post by candymancan »

Seriously... last time i really wrenched on the Jeep not counting brake pads was last year in fall.. Well i take that back i did do my pinion seal but i was forced too lol

... I did 3 leaf springs.. wrestled and fought them for 4 days 8 hours straigjt on the pavement cutting and figjting bolts until i finally got the 3 (easy ones) installed.. then the 4th one by the gas tank... Have to drop the tank..to get to the nut.bolt in the frame.. Thrn ill have to cut a huge chunk of the rusted frame thanks to the gas tank and weld some more...

I said f it im done.. And i havent toucjed it since.. The leaf spring is sitting outside.. Need to bring it in storage because its rusting a little.. The only thing that really doesnt worry me about it is i gained no ride height switching to a new leaf spring i dont think the rears were as bad as the front that were inverted..

Anyway.. i havent even bought a single tool or toucjed it.. i need a bunch of tools i broke last year cutting welding wrenching so forth... And i have the money as ive spent probly 4500$ on my pc (yea im a nut job lol) so it isnt money.

Im litterally just burned the F out still... Some of you know i went insaine working on this thing almost daily for hours n hours.. for almost 2 years...

How do i get out of this funk lol ? I need to fix that frame.. fix the rusting body panels.. replace the leaf spring.. fix more rust and repair the crack on the frame by the drivers shock mount. Need new brake lines... Hrmmm and i think thays really all the major things left.. I guess i need to take the intake manifold off to replace the gasket as it slowely leaks coolant out of both rear bolts.. But thats such a small leak im not toooo worried just yet..

Uhg such a huge list still... I love the Jeep but frack.. I dont even wanna work on any car anymore.

Ill need to replace my moms cv axle shaft for the 3rd time before inspection this month so ill be forced to pull the tools out... ... ( cheap ass rubber boots)

I mean its been reliable as hell for 2 1.2 years now.. I daily drive and it hasnt given me a single problem yet.. and since 90% of my leaks.. 95% of the electrical .. and the interior is done. And mechanically its 100%.. For now im like giving no fcks about what needs fixed and just driving it like a pimp as people oogle at it daily
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Is there anyway to get outa the burned out of wrenching phase

Post by Stuka »

I think most of us go through phases of wanting to work on things and then not wanting to work on things.

For me, I normally get pulled back in when something breaks, and then that starts me on working on other things. But if its running great for you, just enjoy it. No reason you HAVE to work on it just to work on it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

mx71

Post by mx71 »

Either take a break or pay someone else to do it.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Fewer vehicles.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

will e

Post by will e »

Go to one of the group meetings (Ouray, ECI, Oregon, etc). Hanging out with others that have these rigs is a big help. Also, if you can get some seat time riding along on a trail ride can usually get you going again too. My buddy Derek rode along with me a few months ago and 'got the bug' to work on his rig again.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Im in virginia thats too long of a drive sadly.

Jawzjeep

Post by Jawzjeep »

I've always got many projects to get to. Sometimes I sell a project I won't get to, to fund work being done on another. Getting a stack of cash for a project helps me get a resurgence of interest. Sometimes it just makes the cash to pay for someone to do what I was previously pulling my hair out. Just a thought.

Another option is to surround yourself with people who think your junk is cool. When somebody comes around my place and sees one of my projects and absolutely loses their mind on how cool it is, that gets me to do something about it too.

And never forget what a fresh set of eyes is worth. Eyes start to cross when you've been looking at something too long. Good luck!

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

candymancan wrote:Im in virginia thats too long of a drive sadly.
If you Facebook, check this out.
https://www.facebook.com/CFSJC/
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

letank

Post by letank »

always the same dilemma, Time, Monney, Children, Relationship, Work, Leisure, Sanity, no teaching avail... no classes for Life 401... unless you own an FSJ...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Son, i know those feels. Go search my threads and posts, you'll see over the past 3 years 90% of them have been me bitching about this exact thing.

Well, now my BEEP runs to the point of not really having to worry about it.

I dunno, it comes and goes, i became super duper ultra disillusioned with the whole thing. Now im getting back into it, but i most certainly dont love it the way I did several years ago. The whole love hate process has actually allowed me to take a step back and realize how i actually COULD part with it if i needed to or wanted to, I'm not head over heels in love with it anymore.

But BEEP man that thing runs now. Funny how the second it finally straightens out and flies right I'm okay with the prospect of getting rid of it.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

Hey fellas. I know we all are grown men and women here, but is. There any way we can tone down the language a little bit. I do know of a couple of us that have little ones that read over this material also. As for the lull in gumption to wrench on the rigs, I know the feeling all to well. With the tbi install on mine I was at my wits end. After the month of struggle there, I hit the same brick wall. I hope it passes soon, as i have a lot left to do!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

melford72

Post by melford72 »

When I get burned out, having a good buddy come wrench with me for a day usually helps light the fires a little bit. My good friend is in the process of restoring a 65 Nova and my 72 Wag has some issues. So we take turns helping each other out — holding test lights, turning bolts, helping with the headliner, etc., etc. Helps me stay motivated.

Now I know not everybody has someone who is capable of doing this even semi-regularly — due to life, kids, etc. But just another idea, and maybe it could help.
70 Custom Special
Not running at the moment, but LMG/4L60e in the works! :mrgreen:

Previously, 72 Wagoneer
Carbed, Cammed, and Lifted

will e

Post by will e »

Also, do something 'fun' to the jeep. An 'upgrade' opposed to a 'fix'. I know you were doing the lift and that's a fun upgrade but that last spring is a pain! Add in the frame repair and the fun is gone. Is there some cool upgrade you want to do? Try working on that for a bit.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

will e

Post by will e »

toothofwar wrote:Hey fellas. I know we all are grown men and women here, but is. There any way we can tone down the language a little bit.
Agreed.

Jawzjeep

Post by Jawzjeep »

Melford has the best idea! My 2 cents

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

toothofwar wrote:Hey fellas. I know we all are grown men and women here, but is. There any way we can tone down the language a little bit. I do know of a couple of us that have little ones that read over this material also. As for the lull in gumption to wrench on the rigs, I know the feeling all to well. With the tbi install on mine I was at my wits end. After the month of struggle there, I hit the same brick wall. I hope it passes soon, as i have a lot left to do!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Sure ill tone it down and i apologize lol.. but no offense.. The internet will corrupt and kids learn things now they never would have until later on.. If youre that worried keep them off the internet all-together

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

candymancan wrote:If youre that worried keep them off the internet all-together
First: Just me but I think this part is uncalled for. It crosses the line in telling someone how to parent.

Second: Where are the objectionable words in this thread? I must have missed them.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Old vehicles are frustrating. I understand how you feel. Just recently i went on a rant about frame swaps. It happens. For me, I find solice in my garage. Its my hangout. When I feel like I am out of gas to work on it I will just sit in the garage with a few cold ones and look at it. I get my mind turning about all of the things I want to do to it and then finally say screw it, its not getting done sitting here, so I get up and just start tinkering or looking at all of the things I have put off and say to myself "I have really been overthinking this whole thing". Having funds is a big plus to motivate a project but those aren't always there for me. Sometimes the things I can get accomplished don't require money, the stuff is already here to do it. Really you sometimes need to force yourself to start working on it, then it will just snowball into a wrenching frenzy. My 2cents
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

will e

Post by will e »

fulsizjeep wrote:Second: Where are the objectionable words in this thread? I must have missed them.
The good Dr. tossed out a GD above.

I like Phils67 advice. Sometimes you just have to dive into it. That tank isn't going to drop itself. ;)
Maybe the OP can combine it with something new like some sliders. You need to get between the tank and frame to mount them so get some sliders, drop the tank, fix the frame, toss on the spring and go driving!

My biggest problem is it is too HOT in AZ right now to wrench. I can get a couple of hours in if I get up early but that's no fun. And when the weather is nice I don't want to wrench, I want to go wheeling!

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

will e wrote:
fulsizjeep wrote:Second: Where are the objectionable words in this thread? I must have missed them.
The good Dr. tossed out a GD above.

I like Phils67 advice. Sometimes you just have to dive into it. That tank isn't going to drop itself. ;)
Maybe the OP can combine it with something new like some sliders. You need to get between the tank and frame to mount them so get some sliders, drop the tank, fix the frame, toss on the spring and go driving!

My biggest problem is it is too HOT in AZ right now to wrench. I can get a couple of hours in if I get up early but that's no fun. And when the weather is nice I don't want to wrench, I want to go wheeling!
Lucky you only have one season there. I wish it was nice year round where i live. NO EXCUSE LOL! I wrench whether sweat is pouring off me or its sub zero. Last winter I was doing under dash work in a snow storm with the floor heat blasting lol just gotta get it done :-bd
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.