How much was your paint job?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
richie_tenenbaum

How much was your paint job?

Post by richie_tenenbaum »

Just curious.

I’d like to get mine painted in the next two years. I’m just curious as what to set as a savings target.

TheRebel

Re: How much was your paint job?

Post by TheRebel »

For a restoration quality paint job, (bodywork, frame off) it’s 10,000 or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Just had the hood and the passenger side redone on mine (poor repaint had failed on those pieces along with damaged hood and fender). I removed all trim bits, bumpers, and had the replacement panels already stripped. $2500. That was a bargain. I'm also doing the woodgrain myself, so I'm saving there as well.

I'd say you need at least $6-7K absolute minimum if body is in really good shape.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

will e

Post by will e »

I think I paid 2500 for a full body paint. This is was after I stripped it of all chrome. No wood. Some body work. Single stage. Red and Black. I basically knew I was going to take it out in the desert and scratch it up so we purposely kept it cheap. And I have scratched the HECK out of it since I got it painted. I am also glad I didn't end up with 'Chief' stripes or decals since I did some damage to some of the body panels and had to get some repairs done.

Before paint:

Ouray (last year)

81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

You can pay anything from a few hunderd at a "one day" paint and body shop, or as mentioned $10,000 for a restoration job. Concours quality is likely much more.

Are you interested in value or quality? How much do you want to spend? What do you expect from the job? Your truck looks like it's white, so you could likely shut the doors and have a one-day shop shoot the exterior with their best quality paint for under $1000. I've done a couple of cars this way. The more prep and cleanup you do, the better it will turn out. Be sure to mask behind the hood and door seams. Or you can look on Craig's List for local painters that do jobs on the side. It seems like there aren't a lot of offerings in the intermediate price zone. Your typical body shop wants collision work, and won't want to do resprays. Often they will just quote you an outrageous price rather than send you away.

This is a good place to start https://www.amazon.com/How-Paint-Your-B ... 1932494227
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
richie_tenenbaum

Thanks. Mine is silver.

I have a relative that has started a hot rod shop. I’ll likely start there. In my head, I’d like to spend 4-5K on the paint job. I’m willing to do the sanding or whatever ele it takes to keep the price manageable.

My plan is for this to be the only paint job it gets for the next 15 years

letank

Post by letank »

for a paint job, $$$ is for sure the 1st step, the 2nd is to have referrals or see what the results are from their customers. I have seen $15k job look like orange skin.
Area differs too, the SF area will be a lot more than a less urban area... $7k 4 years ago with warranty for a convertible, no prep work, EDIT: one fender had a big gouge -the jeep gets the roller job-, it pays to know the shop, the shop had to redo the cowl area twice, still looks as the first day, the coupe sleeps in a garage
Last edited by letank on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

I took my J10 to the painter stripped down to bare steel and the major body work done. he needed to finish the body work, prime and block, paint and cut and buff. it cost me 8k and I have a show quality paint job.

I would imagine it would have cost me a few grand more had I just dropped it off untouched.

For a decent paint job I'd figure 6-10 k. the materials alone for mine were $2500 but I had a more expensive color in a higher grade paint. where you live seems to make a huge difference in this type of work.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

tgreese wrote:You can pay anything from a few hunderd at a "one day" paint and body shop, or as mentioned $10,000 for a restoration job. Concours quality is likely much more.

Are you interested in value or quality? How much do you want to spend? What do you expect from the job? Your truck looks like it's white, so you could likely shut the doors and have a one-day shop shoot the exterior with their best quality paint for under $1000. I've done a couple of cars this way. The more prep and cleanup you do, the better it will turn out. Be sure to mask behind the hood and door seams. Or you can look on Craig's List for local painters that do jobs on the side. It seems like there aren't a lot of offerings in the intermediate price zone. Your typical body shop wants collision work, and won't want to do resprays. Often they will just quote you an outrageous price rather than send you away.

This is a good place to start https://www.amazon.com/How-Paint-Your-B ... 1932494227
Totally agree with this. It is getting harder and harder to find shops around that will actually work on the old stuff. Especially with metal work and paint, even though we pay out of pocket. They get so much regular work in the Insurance space that they can just stick new parts on in a week, maybe do a little painting and make 2-3x what we are going to pay them for more labor and a standard paint job. For most shops is a trade off with the space they have to work with. Usually they have a full house on insurance jobs, and they pretty much know they are going to pay.

Not all shops though, as I have found a few that retain the same passion as we have for older stuff and keeping our treasures on the road. But I live in a bigger city and I would say these shops are about 1 in every 10. Tgreese makes a good point about finding someone who does painting on the side. Lucky enough for me, I have found that person. He is a commercial painter but does a lot of side work doing restorations etc. and has done some really nice work. But he picks and chooses what he wants to do and when. So we haven't gotten around to mine yet, but we are on the "list". You will find a lot of these guys run 1-2 months backlog, if not more. But sometimes it is worth the wait.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

The shop I found was recommended to me by an insurance only shop. When I walked in to talk with the guy, I noticed a schedule board.

It had the following:

"Insurance work"

"Dealership stuff" (they were tied to a local dealer for their work)

and "Old Sh!t"

They also had a couple of classics out front that belonged to the owner.

I knew I'd found the right shop.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

In Utah they run between $4-$6k for a decent paint job. $8k-$10k for a good one. But I did get my Honcho painted for $1000 and it turned out great. It was just a single stage spray. I just had another J10 truck done and I think it was around $4k and it didn't turn out so great.
1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it

Tripwire

Post by Tripwire »

member Redwone here on the mothership gave me lots of tips and i u-tubed stuff, i painted my own rig and it came out very decent........as a swag all said and one as a DIY project ( i used expensive red metal flake paint) it was like 3,500 bucks for the materials ( including gun, paint sandpaper, air hoses filters yada yada.....
FSJ.ORG JOIN DATE JULY 2000

Tripwire. 86 Grand. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/228 BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer

Washington State

memsiej

Post by memsiej »

$200 if you do a roller job and paint around the wood grain :D Not perfect, but good enough.

1984 Grand Wagoneer V8 5.9

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

I spent a good $3,000 on supplies to paint my 442, but that was over ten years ago. I figure I'll spend close to that for supplies to paint my GW in a high quality single stage.

Topic author
richie_tenenbaum

Thanks for the replies. They have all been very helpful.