Got my FSJ a friend.

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

BCRAWLER

Re: Got my FSJ a friend.

Post by BCRAWLER »

Just did the same thing on 4th July.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Wow, those flares are toast. But should be able to find some 60's style steel ones, which look better anyway IMO.

So is the GMC chevy tough or GMC tough? :P
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

BCRAWLER

Post by BCRAWLER »

Came with a driver side fender with good flares. Will replace passenger side fender with a good unit. I'm unsure about the Stepside fenders at present, know they are available from BJs for around 700 each. Have unassembled rebco logger box I may install while trying to repair original box. I have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee XJ that I am about to disassemble for scrap and may look at the flares from that unit as a replacement.
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch

BCRAWLER

Post by BCRAWLER »

Forgot to add. That sticker was on the replacement windsheild I bought. Not sure if it is Chevy ,GMC , or Home Depot tough as all have contributed to get to keep it running. And need to get my Jeep running so I can get better fuel mileage.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Been farting around with this thing, havent had to do anything mechanical lately. It seemed to vapor lock twice on my kid brother in law, but i havent had any issues with that, and i have driven it in 95* heat.

I put a heat sleeve on the fuel line from pump to carb, wee if that helps.

Otherwise, I'm already sick of this holley carb. Truck runs 100% fine, then the next day I drive it it barely idles and is sputtering. I had to adjust the throttle screw to bring the idle back up to a normal level.

Well ,the next day I drive it its idling at like 1100rpm, because now it idles FINE and the throttle screw is way too far in. Dafuq?!! So i go to adjust the idle for best vacuum, and get it mostly close, but then with the throttle screw all the way out the truck is idling too high still, turn down the idle mixture screws, still too high. WTF?! When, all of a sudden, its running fine again.

Holleys are complicated as hell. Maybe its good everything is adjustable....but everything is adjustable.

Time to grab an edelbrock 1406. Too bad i just sold the 2 I had sitting on the shelf last year. Never fails.

Anyway, been driving it, got a vintage CB from 1977, ran dual fiberglass antennas. I know, "wah duals need to be 9' apart, you idiot fiberglass sucks, blah you're never gonna get it tuned, that's stupid it'll never work" oh well don't care. It works, and it'll look cool. I don't need 20 mile range, I ain't no smokey and the bandit!

ImageUntitled by Marn, on Flickr
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Sounds like you may have a vacuum leak associated with a CTO or something, so it doesn't always leak?

But I did the same on my dad's '77. It had a factory 4v holley on the 460, but was a pain to keep in tune and was getting worn out. So put an edelbrock on it, and has had no issues ever since. BUT, I do wish I had gone with a 1406. We put a 750 on it, which it seems happy with, but is a tad large as the engine has an RV cam so it doesn't have the RPM range to make use of all that CFM.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Stuka wrote:Sounds like you may have a vacuum leak associated with a CTO or something, so it doesn't always leak?

But I did the same on my dad's '77. It had a factory 4v holley on the 460, but was a pain to keep in tune and was getting worn out. So put an edelbrock on it, and has had no issues ever since. BUT, I do wish I had gone with a 1406. We put a 750 on it, which it seems happy with, but is a tad large as the engine has an RV cam so it doesn't have the RPM range to make use of all that CFM.
I dont believe there are any CT'O's on the engine. Its a 390 FE, so even in 74 it was old technology. There's no emissions equipment or anything, I dont even think it has an EGR? The only vac lines coming off are for the dizzy, which comes straight off the carb, for the crank case vent, then for transmission modulator, cruise control, and brake booster.

I can double check all the little vacuum caps I guess, and I'd like to replace the line that goes to the transmission, as its super super super soft and flexy.

Anyway, I'd def go with a 1406, 600cfm should be plenty for an old stock 390 :-)
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Can't agree with you about Holleys being complicated. Just get a book - you can master them in an evening's study. A used copy of one of the mass market books (HP, Haynes, etc) will be cheap on Amazon or Alibris. It does sound like you have a vacuum leak.

Try moving the throttle shaft back and forth to see if the idle changes. If the carb body is worn, it will allow air to pass around the throttle shaft and your idle speed will vary a lot, depending on where it decides to settle. IME this is mostly a problem on carbs with pot metal bodies - not sure what the Holley has. If the base of the carb is iron, it's unlikely to be worn a lot.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

bigun

Post by bigun »

I have never been able to figure out why someone thinks the Holly is tougher to tune than the Quadri crude and it's off spring

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

bigun wrote:I have never been able to figure out why someone thinks the Holly is tougher to tune than the Quadri crude and it's off spring
Because i feel that way, and thats pretty much all that matters. different strokes for different folks. Either way, im having issues with both the edelbrock and the holley right now, so, i'm not sure whats up.

bigun

Post by bigun »

Time for fuel injection

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

bigun wrote:Time for fuel injection
noooooo not that again! I took 2 years to get that crap running right on my FSJ LOL!!!

bigun

Post by bigun »

Propane is poor man's fuel injection