New guy intro

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
melford72

New guy intro

Post by melford72 »

First of all, wanted to say that this forum has proven to be an awesome place so far. Everyone has been really helpful and encouraging, which is awesome and (sadly) not always the case with many online communities. I've been part of other car forums and you always seem to get random trolls and d!ckhe@ds that screw things up. So if you're reading this, thanks for helping make this a great community. </touchyfeelystuff>

Secondly, wanted to introduce myself. I bought this 72 Wagoneer sight unseen from a woman near Sacramento a few months ago. It was apparently her grandfather's car, but she didn't have the time or energy to keep it running the way he would have wanted. So she sold it to me. I drove it down to San Diego with really, really sketchy brakes (leaking wheel cylinders) and bad ball joints. (The shop that inspected it told me it was just loose tie rods, but when I got home I jacked it into the air, the front wheels were flopping around like crazy.) Once again, sketchy. It was a fun maiden voyage!

Aside from that stuff, there are (of course) the gremlins that come along with owning a nearly 50-year-old car. A little bit of rust in the usual spots -- driver's side floor pan and around the driver's side rear wheel. I'm in the process of replacing nearly every piece of rubber in the car (minus the tires — they're good). Electrical system has proven to be *ahem* a huge PITA. I think it was taken apart and put back together by a drunken gang of orangutans. (Missing grounds, bypassed switches, etc.) The tranny cooler lines were leaking pretty bad and had to replace those. Jury is still out on whether the rest of the tranny is working okay aside from that, but at least it's not pounding ATF anymore. The rear main seal is leaking. Steering box/link needs to be replaced. And gas tank has a hole (now patched) and needs to be replaced. But overall it's pretty clean rig. The engine compression tested well and it's all there.

It's now my daily driver. I was driving a perfectly reliable, practical, and BORING Honda, but after some unfortunate health news a while back, I've kind of decided to stop waiting for some distant, elusive "future" to enjoy the things I want to be enjoying NOW. This is the first V8 I've owned since 1998, and it was high time. I've got plans for an eventual frame-off resto, but that's probably at least a few years out. For now, I just want to get it mechanically sounds and then drive and enjoy it.

Lastly, it's in need of a name. My wife suggested "Papa Smurf" due to it being very large (sweet irony) and the blue/white color, but that seems too long. So what does everyone think? Does "Smurf" work? Any other ideas?

Image72 Wag by Geoff Ledford
Last edited by melford72 on Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
70 Custom Special
Not running at the moment, but LMG/4L60e in the works! :mrgreen:

Previously, 72 Wagoneer
Carbed, Cammed, and Lifted

will e

Re: New guy intro

Post by will e »

Wow, that is a clean looking rig. I love the color combo. (and the dog). Welcome aboard. Yeah, we are an old school Forum but everyone is cool. I don't facebook so I don't see that side of things.

Don't try to force the name, it will come.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

Welcome aboard!

I'm still waiting for a name for mine as well. Weeegoneeer is based on my dad calling his car WeGone. Name's just not right tho!

For you - just "The Smurf" could work? It will come to you when it's ready. Looks like a sweet ride and your pup even matches. :)

This is a great forum - the thing I like about this forum and IFSJA is that people truly want to help out and all of the info is archived and searchable. That's YEARS of troubleshooting / advice. Not so easy to search on the facebooks since it's built to be 'current'.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your progress!

-John
1984 GW

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Welcome!

As for what set's this place apart is our "unspoken rule". The Unspoken rule is that you can be a D***head, so long as you have the stones to meet us in real life. :P Not in a threatening "we'll beat a guy up" way at all, but the mods and admin are awesome at banning the bad seeds pretty quick, while at the same time recognizing that life is hard and not everyone is a peach all the time. ;) Getting face-to-face makes screen names a real person and real people deserve a little patience. On the other side of the coin, getting a little grace tends to tweek a disposition for the better.

As for the name, I'm with your wife, "Papa Smurf" might seem like too many syllables, but honestly, you're not gonna be calling it like a dog 20 times a day, just referencing it every once in a while. If it's truly too long, it'll shorten itself over time. :)
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Tripwire

Post by Tripwire »

BIG dog !!!!! :D sweet rig, welcome to the forum

steve
FSJ.ORG JOIN DATE JULY 2000

Tripwire. 86 Grand. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/228 BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer

Washington State

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Hmm. The colors are right for a smurf. But Papa wore red. Maybe Hefty?

"Hefty Smurf has incredible strength and often is seen doing a lot of the heavy work in the village. He also has a tattoo on his right arm (or sometimes both of his arms) of a red heart with an arrow through it. His favorite activity is lifting weights and doing other forms of exercise, and is often the one to kick Brainy out of the village whenever he is boasting. Hefty takes pride in being tough, sometimes doing it just for attention.

Papa appoints Hefty as the leader of the Smurfs in season 3: Handy's Kite. In several episodes, Papa selects Hefty and Handy as leaders of separate teams in dangerous missions."
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Welcome to the forum. The light blue and white reminds me of winter. If it was mine I would name it The Yeti. Just my 2 cents
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Welcome to the madness. That Waggy looks pretty nice. :-bd

Someone said stones?
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
melford72

Post by melford72 »

will e wrote:...love the color combo. (and the dog). Welcome aboard.
That's Tiny, my St. Bernard. He weighs in at a solid 150, so a FSJ fits him great. Used to get some funny looks when he'd hang his head out the side of my last car. :shock:

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
70 Custom Special
Not running at the moment, but LMG/4L60e in the works! :mrgreen:

Previously, 72 Wagoneer
Carbed, Cammed, and Lifted

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Welcome :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Damn the baby blue and chrome looks niceeee !! Great looking Jeep
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Jawzjeep

Post by Jawzjeep »

Another vote for "hefty smurf". I think it's perfect....

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

That's a nice looking Wagoneer and the chrome looks really smooth! I'll be sure to keep my eyes open around San Diego for you!

As for the name "Smurfed" Or "Smurf-it"?
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Wow. Y'all know WAAAAYYYYYY too much about SMURFS!!

As far as names, you can always go with BLUE Smurf. (As if you have OTHER colored Smurfs. LOL!)

And if you're nerdy, it works this way, too
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12577
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!