Tunes

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Brly

Tunes

Post by Brly »

My truck is coming along and I plan on taking some longer drives with it. The stock radio is in the dash with the speaker on the passenger side. It may work, but nothing is hooked up right now.
I'm not going to cut the dash and put a new head unit in and I don't really want anything in the glove box.
Based on the small amount of research I've done, I can get an amp and plug an Ipod or my phone (bluetooth capable amp?) directly into it and have it output to a couple speakers, no head unit needed.
Ideally, I'd like to put the amp and speakers behind the seat, so as not to take away from the original look of the truck.
I don't have much experience with this, so I'm looking for suggestions.
I will do more digging but I was hoping someone here may have done something similar. If I make a simple plywood enclosure for the speakers behind the seat, will I be able to hear it? It's noisy in the cab...
1966 Jeep J3600 Gladiator - AMC 327/T18/D20

mx71

Re: Tunes

Post by mx71 »

letank

Post by letank »

search for blue tooth speakers, any price any size. I have a jbl2, IIRC only 10 watts or 2x5w pretty decent for the price . The 74 has a cambridge soundwork bass system installed where the AC evaporator is, and 2 satellites speakers, not a blue tooth -it is about 15 years old, so no avail.
Some of the speakers can be wired directly, like the jbl2, so no need for blue tooth, it is a rubber casing, so it can lay on the dash.
As always seeing the device and hearing its performance are keys.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Brly

Post by Brly »

Thanks guys. I'll take a look at what you've suggested.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

yz400e

Post by yz400e »

getting a blue tooth amp is a great idea. Crutchfield has some on sale. Some of them even have hands free calling. So many options.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-13LVV39WF ... fiers.html

If you go bluetooth amp, the SoundStream ST4 looks interesting because it is more weatherproof. you could mount that almost anyway..like behind the seat and then run wire to door speakers or kick panel speakers to move the soundstage more to the front. For a quick down and dirty solution get a pair of boxes and put some 6x9's in it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Atrend-6X9PR ... 9901!US!-1 These boxes aren't real deep and may fit behind the seat in your truck. a single power wire to the amp behind the seat and a short wire run to the 6x9's next to the amp.

There are a lot of options for boxes and even RetroSound is getting into the behind the seat enclosure solution.

OR
get a pair of the smaller battery powered portable bluetooth speakers (JBL Splash for example) and set one as right channel and one as left channel.

There is a company called Q-Forms that makes kickpanel speaker enclosures. There may be something that can be modified to fit a FSJ

Topic author
Brly

Post by Brly »

Yz - thanks, that's what I had in mind, just wanted some confirmation that it would work. I don't have my truck at the moment, but when I get it back I need to see what I can fit behind the seat and then get things ordered.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

melford72

Post by melford72 »

This article is a little old now, but some of the stuff in here is pretty good. Hope it helps and let us know how it turns out!

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=11082
70 Custom Special
Not running at the moment, but LMG/4L60e in the works! :mrgreen:

Previously, 72 Wagoneer
Carbed, Cammed, and Lifted

Moosehead

Tunes

Post by Moosehead »

A single DIN head unit fits into the dash with minimal cutting and gives full Bluetooth/phone connectivity. An Alpine 45 watt rms in-line amp also tucks behind the head unit with little fuss.

I was able to make MDF single frame speaker mounts with a dremel and get 6.5” speakers into the front doors, and 6x9” in the cargo quarters to replace the tiny metal 5.25” metal framed stock size speakers. The above kicks it despite a ton of engine, road, and wind noise from the Waggy.

Heck, there looks to be enough room in the rear quarters, at least passenger side, that you could fab in an enclosed subwoofer. I may do this next along with some sound damping material in the floorboards in a future interior effort.

I am neither an audiophile nor a more than ham fisted wrench but appreciate proper tunes.

For those about to rock, we salute you!

Edit: sorry, now seeing you have a truck but would guess your front doors could get the 6.5” templated to fit as did my front doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
‘78 Wagoneer
401 with street cam, heads, headers, Holley Sniper EFI, rear discs, Alcan springs, Trucklite LED headlights

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

You have a pic of said template for your doors and cargo corners? This would be an easy and great upgrade to the 5.25" speakers for sure.

Moosehead

Tunes

Post by Moosehead »

^Below are a few pics of the rears which I just rattle canned black. Despite the partial ghetto template the fiber board came out solid as a mounting surface and also is a bit more damp than the metal OEM’s it replaced so maybe less vibration. Thinking about adding sound dampening material to the quarters but a bit concerned about moisture.

Fronts with JL speaker covers which I dislike because of the silver circle accents. Will take pics of the front templates with cards removed when I install replacement generic all-black grills which hopefully look more OEM or at least less obvious.

Alpine head unit with decent blue tooth phone and behind dash in-line 45 RMS amp which is strong enough to make good sound in a noisy Waggie and despite lack of a subwoofer (will see how long that lasts).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
‘78 Wagoneer
401 with street cam, heads, headers, Holley Sniper EFI, rear discs, Alcan springs, Trucklite LED headlights

Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

http://www.outofsightaudio.com

You could get one of these. You mount it under your seat and control it with your phone.

You could probably even mount it somewhere under the hood as long as you protected it from heat somehow.
In the market for a new FSJ

Topic author
Brly

Post by Brly »

I looked at the outofsight stuff. A little pricey compared to a bluetooth amp, depending on which amp. I have a plan, but I won't have the truck back for at least another week. I finalize everything then.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk