Can’t get rebuilt amc 360 TDC to line up with distributor diagram

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
jmontague

Can’t get rebuilt amc 360 TDC to line up with distributor diagram

Post by jmontague »

I am putting a rebuilt amc 360 in my 87 GW & for some reason top dead center is coming in at 5 o’clock on the distributor and the book says it should be coming in at dead 6 o’clock.

Any idea why they are refusing to align? I’ve turned the engine over 10 times and TDC always comes up at 11 & 5 o’clock instead of 12 & 6

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Re: Can’t get rebuilt amc 360 TDC to line up with distributor diagram

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

Timing chain off?
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Topic author
jmontague

Post by jmontague »

Brand new factory rebuilt & installed timing chain.

Any way to quickly check if it is off? Also, do you know what the two black dots on either side of the distributor diagram mean? Example at the Colorado FSJ page:

http://www.cfsja.org/tech/drivetrain/firing/firing.html

Is it acceptable to use a screwdriver to move the oil pump thread to line up with where the distributor cap should be pointed for TDC? I could just turn it a bit and then I would be at the proper 6 o'clock on the distributor?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Sounds like the distributer is a tooth off.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

will e

Post by will e »

Welcome to the forum! Which book are you using?

Also, it doesn't matter which direction the rotor is pointing when the engine is at TDC of the compression stroke. You just need to make sure the #1 plug is connected to that distributor port. Then follow the rest around in the proper firing order.

Now, what can happen is a lack of adjustment in the timing due to the vacuum pod hitting the power steering pump when turning the distributor counter clockwise. Since the rotor rotates clockwise the housing is turned counter clockwise to add initial timing. Is this the problem you are having?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

will e wrote:Welcome to the forum! Which book are you using?

Also, it doesn't matter which direction the rotor is pointing when the engine is at TDC of the compression stroke. You just need to make sure the #1 plug is connected to that distributor port. Then follow the rest around in the proper firing order.

Now, what can happen is a lack of adjustment in the timing due to the vacuum pod hitting the power steering pump when turning the distributor counter clockwise. Since the rotor rotates clockwise the housing is turned counter clockwise to add initial timing. Is this the problem you are having?
Ditto!

I wish I could find the thread, but I covered this with pics at some point in the past. You can compensate by moving all the spark plug wires around the distributor cap to get the clearance you need for the vacuum canister. So long as at TDC of the power stroke, the distributor rotor is pointing at the terminal for #1 plug wire (and the rest of the wires are in the correct order), it's good to go. The electricity only cares if it's got a complete circuit, it doesn't care about what direction it's pointing in 3D space.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
jmontague

Post by jmontague »

Thanks everyone!

I moved the oil drive a bit and now it all lines up perfectly.

I’ll post some pictures later

will e

Post by will e »

Good news indeed! What is an oil drive?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
jmontague

Post by jmontague »

Haha, I was typing from my phone and being lazy.

I had to manually move the oil pump shaft to the right position :)

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

when I had work done on the Duck Blind...they had to fiddle with the distributor as well. There are marks on the cap and such...so I am guessing they had a little difficulty. I could always go ask they guy...he is an ACE on these Jeeps :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"