Bought a Wagoneer. Now what?

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
medicdunlap

Bought a Wagoneer. Now what?

Post by medicdunlap »

I just purchased a 1990 Grand Wagoneer. Sight unseen from GR Auto Gallery.
100,000 miles.
What's the recommended first steps ? I am not a handyman but always wanted a classic car.
should i immediately change the oil, coolant, fluids, filters?
rotate the tires?
Get a multipoint inspection from a mechanic ?
Would mobil one oil be a bad idea ?
K and N air filter?
IMG_0722.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Bought a Wagoneer. Now what?

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

I'd start by asking the auto gallery what, if any, work was performed and if they have documentation for it. No sense duplicating any work/money already done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Agree with the above post! If they give a broad answer like the "went through it" or the like, then at least check the oil and other fluids. Go for a drive, see if it does everything it's supposed to, and start log where you can keep track of the maintenance. Installing a K & N is fine, doesn't hurt anything, but if you're installing more than just the filter, and going for an aftermarket air filter housing too then keep the stock air filter setup so you can put it back on later or sell it with the Jeep, if you ever sell it. I don't really have an opinion on moving to synthetic fluids but I know there is plenty of debate over whether or not it's a good idea to run them in an engine with plenty of miles on it if the engine and its seals have been used to conventional motor oil all their life.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
medicdunlap

Post by medicdunlap »

excellent appreciate the advice

will e

Post by will e »

It's a beauty!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

soonerck

Post by soonerck »

Wow. Just based on looks, you shouldn't have to do much. If you have a trusted mechanic, have him take it for a spin and put it up on a lift for an inspection.

letank

Post by letank »

No need for mobil 1, it MAY clean some of the caked oil and it will leads to leaks. Part synthetic is good, I used castrol syntec for a long time , I know castrol got some flak for the part synthetic being not clearly defined such as 10 or 20% . Depending on your weather you can use the diesel specs oil which HAD more zinc content which is good for our flat tappet engines, so Delo or Rotella 15w40, there is a synthetic version of the diesel oil so watch the label when purchasing. Also get a quality oil filter AC, the inmates here like the NAPA filters.

belts and hoses for lack of cracks

No need for K&N it lets a lot of dust being sucked into the engine, off roaders complain a lot about wrecked engines. Get the regular disposable paper filter. You can get some fancy oiled filter with a extra barrier from amsoil, very nice, I have one, but a real pain to clean, dry and soak, it is good if you do a lot of dusty roads, so you do not have to purchase a new filter every 2 months.

As said above, inspect all fluids for cleanliness, coolant should be devoid of rust color tint, brake fluid clear, at least not black, engine oil clear of light tan -Ask what was used- Transmission fluid checked with engine at operating temperature, which is basically 10 miles of driving, shift to all gears while pressing brakes, put emergency brake on, gear in neutral, it is should be bright pink and not smelling like burnt coffee.

Then differentials front and rear and the most important transfer case level to be at fill hole...

As usual, check that battery holder are tight, battery cable not corroded, tire pressure about 34-36psi depending on comfort desired, you can drive in town at 30 psi. Check the spare and the rear compartment for the jack bits, always good to have a working jack and a spare that holds air.

Looks like a very nice specimen, nice detailling work, congratulations

Check the valence sticker by the driver's side next to the windshield washer reservoir to see if it is a California specs or a 49state vehicle, so you can now do the RUST check by lifting the carpet at all four corners by the wheel well to make sure that no water is present. Same for the quarter panel in the cargo bay, in fact the jack should be rust free, if any rust it is an indicator of water intrusion

and the undercarriage for any rust spots by the gas tank skid plate next to the rear driver's side wheel

the utltimate test is to go to the car wash and see if water is getting inside, I probably forgot a few things, but this is a good beginning

EDIT: I looked at the other sold grand wagoneer for $19K on their site, the dark reddish one, which has a badly rusted gas tank skid plate, the skid plate holds up your plastic gas tank

Redit after looking at all those blinky paint jobs, the fuel filter has to have the return at the 12 o'clock position -meaning on top or above the main line to the carburetor-

the WRONG way, could not find an explecit image/pict of the right way

but this way

of course being in photobucket you may need to install the photobucket fix add-on

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=14477
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

letank

Post by letank »

No reply, seems like it is back on the for sale list

https://www.grautogallery.com/vehicles/ ... d-wagoneer
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

I bet it has a saggy butt. Looks very nice, shows sold now. I would drive it home too not a bad price compared to some others.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)