Hi. I'm still around.

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Re: Hi. I'm still around.

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Dr. Marneaus wrote:
candymancan wrote:
Whats uncomfortable about your wagoneer ?
old ass bench seat with no head rests.

no ac

heat through floor boards.

poor heat when its cold out

"air" leaks all over the place specifically the tailgate because they don't make a 73 and down tailgate seal.

the exhaust that i constantly inhale because of the aforementioned seal leaks.

the gas fumes that i constantly inhale because of the aforementioned seal leaks

loud as hell because of the aforementioned air leaks.

loud rattling windows.

loud rattling everything

super stiff ass leaf springs combined with stuff ass shocks so I could tow the pop up without rubbing on bumps.

the most uncomfortable offroad ride i have ever experienced, literally bouncing me into the roof if i exceed 5mph on some roads.

falling headliner that is touching my head and my passengers heads.

Radio that doesnt work anymore because of the HEI, so i cant listen to my tunes unless i use a tape adapter.

leaks in the rain.

Uh.....hmm im not sure what else but that's a start. At least it looks cool and people wave every so often.
that all being said, a number of these items could be improved upon once I get past the driving issues. I have not allowed myself to put any money (well hardly any money) into the interior or exterior issues like the seals in the 8 years I have owned it, because I have been tackling all the mechanicals and drivability issues. Every time I got to the point of being all "okay lets redo the seat and headliner" i end up diving into something like an axle swap or an EFI install.

I can redo the seals given time and money making it quieter and more pleasant smelling and warmer and drier.
I plan to go back to a nicer riding shock once I ditch the pop up camper.
The seat will be replaced and reupholstered.
New carpet will reduce the heat from underneath and keep interior heat in
New headliner with insulation will reduce heat from above and keep interior heat in.

So on and so forth.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

letank

Post by letank »

AH, AH, AH, next post could be "what would be the wagoneer best replacement"
I have no answers... even if I have been lurking on other forums...

As for cutting out... connect some datalogger for some real time observation
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Glad to see you are still around. Beautiful country around your parts.

I covet your M416.

My new wheels - not like I'm suggesting anything ... I really like your Wagoneer, and am surprised at the "terrible off road ride" comment.

Used 2015. Nice on the highway. Wicked comfortable seats - heated and ventilated. Heated steering wheel. Back-up camera. 3.2L Pentastar V6. Went to visit my sister in VA and it got a solid 26 mpg cruising at 70 mph. Not bad - around town it drops to about 16.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

tgreese wrote: My new wheels - not like I'm suggesting anything ...

Used 2015. Nice on the highway. Wicked comfortable seats - heated and ventilated. Heated steering wheel. Back-up camera. 3.2L Pentastar V6. Went to visit my sister in VA and it got a solid 26 mpg cruising at 70 mph. Not bad - around town it drops to about 16.
As for alternate for the rough stuff

the worst was 55mpg
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Dr. Marneaus wrote:
candymancan wrote:

no ac

"air" leaks all over the place specifically the tailgate because they don't make a 73 and down tailgate seal.

loud rattling windows.

loud rattling everything

super stiff ass leaf springs combined with stuff ass shocks so I could tow the pop up without rubbing on bumps.

the most uncomfortable offroad ride i have ever experienced, literally bouncing me into the roof if i exceed 5mph on some roads.

Radio that doesnt work anymore because of the HEI, so i cant listen to my tunes unless i use a tape adapter.

leaks in the rain.

Uh.....hmm im not sure what else but thats a start. At least it looks cool and people wave every so often.

Switch from efi back to a carb so you got your radio and no more stalling ?

Exhaust smells i can understand.. for some reason with the heat on i cab smell heavy exhaust.. but with the a.c on i dont smell exhaust.. I dont think its from the fresh air vents by the windshield.. i think my heatercore box isnt sealed good so it sucks in engine bay air. Need to fix thay.

The a.c works fine on mine haha.. Heat is so hot it can burn me actually.. Gets hot in like 1 minute of driving

Bumpy suspension i can agree too..

Redo your headliner.. i did mine.

my windows dont rattle.. only thing that rattles is the rear as my very rear body mounts inside the steel bumper.crossmember are rotted off lol.

Sucks on your tailgate seal.. not sure how to fix that.

Leaks from rain i understand.. been two years now and i fixed 95% of my leaks but somehow water still gets in lol

Insulate your floorboards if you dont like the heat.

The head rest thing i understand. My 90s head rests while it has them are too far back.. Its like they slapped them on but you gatta look at the ceiling to rest your head on em.. But i guess i can get those velcro headrest pillows

All of your things i get as ive experienced it all.. Lol i just chaulk it up to owning a old ass car.. Some of what you listed though can be fixed.

The main one for me is the exhaust smell in the cabin when heat is on.. Why does it do it with heat but not a.c ? it has to be the heater box .
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

tgreese wrote:Glad to see you are still around. Beautiful country around your parts.

I covet your M416.

My new wheels - not like I'm suggesting anything ... I really like your Wagoneer, and am surprised at the "terrible off road ride" comment.

wait till your cvt transmission goes bad.. My friend sold his lifted 98 cherokee and bought a new cherokee like yours and the transmission has already been replaced once.. seems to be common on them too

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

If you want to really be informed - http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/0 ... the-leash/
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

candymancan wrote:
tgreese wrote:Glad to see you are still around. Beautiful country around your parts.

I covet your M416.

wait till your cvt transmission goes bad.. My friend sold his lifted 98 cherokee and bought a new cherokee like yours and the transmission has already been replaced once.. seems to be common on them too
Cherokee's don't have CVTs. They have 9sp automatics. And yes, very early ones had some issues. But that has been resolved now.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Oh ok i thought they had cvts maybe im thinking of those other Jeeps.. the compass or whatever

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

candymancan wrote:
Dr. Marneaus wrote:
candymancan wrote:

no ac

loud rattling windows.

loud rattling everything

leaks in the rain.

Uh.....hmm im not sure what else but thats a start. At least it looks cool and people wave every so often.

Switch from efi back to a carb so you got your radio and no more stalling ?

Exhaust smells i can understand.. for some reason with the heat on i cab smell heavy exhaust.. but with the a.c on i dont smell exhaust.. I dont think its from the fresh air vents by the windshield.. i think my heatercore box isnt sealed good so it sucks in engine bay air. Need to fix thay.

The a.c works fine on mine haha.. Heat is so hot it can burn me actually.. Gets hot in like 1 minute of driving

Bumpy suspension i can agree too..

Redo your headliner.. i did mine.

my windows dont rattle.. only thing that rattles is the rear as my very rear body mounts inside the steel bumper.crossmember are rotted off lol.

Sucks on your tailgate seal.. not sure how to fix that.

Leaks from rain i understand.. been two years now and i fixed 95% of my leaks but somehow water still gets in lol

Insulate your floorboards if you dont like the heat.

The head rest thing i understand. My 90s head rests while it has them are too far back.. Its like they slapped them on but you gatta look at the ceiling to rest your head on em.. But i guess i can get those velcro headrest pillows

All of your things i get as ive experienced it all.. Lol i just chaulk it up to owning a old ass car.. Some of what you listed though can be fixed.

The main one for me is the exhaust smell in the cabin when heat is on.. Why does it do it with heat but not a.c ? it has to be the heater box .

Just remember that your jeep is nearly 20 years newer than mine. There are differences. I don’t have the skills
Or means or desire really to tackle a bow style headliner.

Either way I said many of the things can be fixed but it would be stupid to spend money on that stuff while I have a jeep that doesn’t run right.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

I covet your M416.

Driving on anything other than a graded dirt road is a maddening experience. Even the slightest washboard becaomes bone jarring and slows me to a crawl. If there a whoops or dips in the dirt road like there commonly are and i am going more than 5 mph I literally get bounced and have hit the roof when I wasn’t wearing a seatbelt.

Every bump in the road is a slam that sends me bouncing around. My arms and legs are tired at the end of trips from forcing my body into the seat or suspending myself partially so I don’t get knocked around.

It’s always ridden like BEEP but got even worse when I put on the shocks it currently has out of necessity, because it isn’t fun when your 33’s hit fender well at 70mph.

They are BJ’s springs for the early wags and for whatever reason have always been incredibly stiff and harsh.

My jeep doesn’t flex

berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

Dr. Marneaus wrote:Anyway, hi.....how are you all going?
Spent Saturday in the ER losing a lot of blood from my nose. Then with sweet tampon balloons stuffed in them until Monday. ( Stuka has seen my lovely photos :lol: ) Don't remember much of the weekend between blood lose and lack of sleep ( Actually none.)

Monday after my plugs were removed, went to start my Cherokee up so I can tow my 2A to our new place and it would not start. Put some fuel down the carb and it started but died when that fuel was gone. Thought I killed my fuel pump. Could not deal with it then and walked away.

Went back to the Cherokee today after urgent care and the damn thing started right up. Instantly. :banghead: Towed my 2A to the new house.

I understand the love/ more hate at times of owning these Jeeps :lol:

That is a sweet trailer. Hope to get one, eventually. Well maybe. Probably not unless one falls in my lap.

Agree with that other forum. Used to be a everyday main go to but that stopped years ago.

If/ When you get rid of your Jeep, please stick around. I enjoy seeing your camping photos and scenery.
'47 CJ2A My build
'74 Cherokee S 401/auto My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

berettajeep wrote:
Spent Saturday in the ER losing a lot of blood from my nose. Then with sweet tampon balloons stuffed in them until Monday. ( Stuka has seen my lovely photos :lol: ) Don't remember much of the weekend between blood lose and lack of sleep ( Actually none.)

Monday after my plugs were removed, went to start my Cherokee up so I can tow my 2A to our new place and it would not start. Put some fuel down the carb and it started but died when that fuel was gone. Thought I killed my fuel pump. Could not deal with it then and walked away.

Went back to the Cherokee today after urgent care and the damn thing started right up. Instantly. :banghead: Towed my 2A to the new house.

That is a sweet trailer. Hope to get one, eventually. Well maybe. Probably not unless one falls in my lap.

Agree with that other forum. Used to be a everyday main go to but that stopped years ago.

If/ When you get rid of your Jeep, please stick around. I enjoy seeing your camping photos and scenery.
There are some days the Jeep just doesn't want to be driven, and others where they do! And yeah, I do not envy your weekend at all!

And I too would like to see Dr stick around. FSJ or not.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Stuka wrote:
berettajeep wrote:

There are some days the Jeeps just doesn't want to be driven, and others where they do! And yeah, I do not envy your weekend at all!

And I too would like to see Dr stick around. FSJ or not.
And there are days when FSJ’s don’t want to be driven and they don’t want to be sold! 20 minutes before the buyer of my 74 showed up I went to fire it up and the damn ignition switch seized up and gave up the ghost lol. Talk about a panicked half hour of me running across town to get one telling him to go get a coffee because I need to fix his new jeep lol

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Well initial drive tests are favorable.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Dr. Marneaus wrote:Well initial drive tests are favorable.
:-bd
2017 JKU Rubicon

capdaddy222

Post by capdaddy222 »

Dr.
I was just out working on my wagoneer after about a 4 year hiatus, and thought about all the sweet camping/trail ride photos that you used to post. Glad you are back. Sorry your rig isn't treating you well.

capdaddy