Water Water Everywhere!

Area for General FSJ related chat.

memsiej

Re: Water Water Everywhere!

Post by memsiej »

My issue is I cannot figure out how the heck to get that passenger side cover off. Many write-ups on removing the ebrake to get to the drivers side, but I have about an inch of clearance between this screw and the dash, and I bet there's another screw in the top corner that I can't even see. Any words on how to get this cover off?? Or on how to get off that part of the dash (whatever it is)??

1984 Grand Wagoneer V8 5.9

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

You have to drop the under dash AC unit to get to it.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

memsiej

Post by memsiej »

Oh goodness. I'm gonna ask a ridiculous question but... how?
I'm worried I'll go in and just start unscrewing things until the whole unit is in shambles. Are there particular mounting screws I can be looking for? Do I have to disconnect anything i the unit once it's dropped?

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Been a few years since I did this. If I remember correctly, the mounting screws are not hard to locate. The whole thing will drop to the floor without disconnecting Freon lines. There is a bracket on the back side that attaches to the firewall by the AC fan unit (far right side). That one can be a bugger to get to sometimes. Small hands help. Pretty sure they are all the same 73-91 except for the controls that moved to the heat/defrost controls on 86-91 models.

Download the 79 TSM from here:
http://oljeep.com/gw/79_tsm/79_Jeep_TSM.pdf

Go to 3E-27. That should help.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

memsiej

Post by memsiej »

Thanks!!! Will report back. I get unreasonably nervous about messing with the AC (or electrical, as my build thread makes clear)

letank

Post by letank »

memsiej wrote:Thanks!!! Will report back. I get unreasonably nervous about messing with the AC (or electrical, as my build thread makes clear)
disconnect the battery... so no fire can be occuring...

use some lube such as armor all, on the AC hose from the engine bay to help when sliding/droping the AC unit behind the dash... you may have to loosen some of the AC hose retainers inside the engine bay, IIRC they are on the inner fender well...

Is your AC working? if not good time to remove it... It has been sometime since I removed mine, you need to pull the AC ducts start from driver's side then passenger side to lower the big box... which is being hold by a bracket on the firewall accessible from inside the cabin... basically above the passenger left foot would be a good recollection...

Good luck
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

They sell small L shaped screw drivers for tight spots like that.. I found one in the junkyard once.. helps a ton for places you cant get a normal or even stubbed screwdriver in.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

letank

Post by letank »

universal for the appropriate nut or small wisegrip to access the recessed spot.
Michel

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Could be the drains...
Or it could just be like mine that has no metal left where a drain once was so it pours from the cowl straight into the cab. If its like mine caulk and block the cowl. Seemed to make a big difference for me at least. But thats only if the area where the drain is supposed to be is rotted away completely
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

memsiej

Post by memsiej »

Like completely seal off the cowl part on the hood? I could do that.. .but I assume it's there for a reason, some sort of air flow or something?

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

The blower draws air from there. My cab is so pourous it actually made the heat better
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

letank

Post by letank »

memsiej wrote:Like completely seal off the cowl part on the hood? I could do that.. .but I assume it's there for a reason, some sort of air flow or something?
basically, you need to investigate the origin of the leak, we all have different issues, some are common due to the design of the body panels, but every vehicle will have aged a bit differently depending on where it was used.

after you dry the areas of concern, you can use a water hose and start a small flow of water at the base of the windshield by the edge of the fender and water for 10 min, or until water seepage shows in the cab... if none, move closer to the center of the windshield. Repeat on the other side. Also our door gasket called weatherstrip have deteriorated and water can finds it way between the door and the body frame along the A pillar... or simply from the window seal and leak at the bottom of the door and migrate from the lower weatherstrip to the cab floor.

As an update for my issues, floor is dry after the 2 big storms that we have in the last 10 days, and yes I cover the cowl intake with the plastic wings, which might be the best and easiest way to approach your problem
Michel