Latest Mod - Charging ports!

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
will e

Latest Mod - Charging ports!

Post by will e »

I used the cigar lighter to charge my phone and tablet but didn't like it for a few reasons. First, it was only on when the ignition is on. Yeah, this could have been fixed pretty easy. The cord kinda got in the way. And cigar lighter chargers are kinda flakey.

My truck had a blank plate where the clock is sometimes located. I had the idea a long time ago to make use of the blank plate and put some charging ports in. I finally ordered the parts and did the install.

I wired it up to the circut that uses the second battery when the ignition is off but the normal charging circuit when the ignition is on. I also added a push button on/off switch so I can disable the port if I want. I went push button instead of toggle to give it a bit of 'old time style'.

There are a lot of options for these types of USB ports. I chose one with a small indicator light instead of something that lights up big time.

It was a pretty easy mod. I did have to trim the charger face a bit both top and bottom to get it to fit but I think it turned out okay.

And, of course, pictures!

It's a lot better than the cord draggin over from the cigar lighter and will be handy for the passenger too!
Last edited by will e on Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

ShagWagon

Re: Latest Mod - Charging ports!

Post by ShagWagon »

I bought a radio with a USB charger. But I'm thinking of putting some in where all the ashtrays are in the back. People don't smoke anymore.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Nicely done.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

az chip

Post by az chip »

Very nice. Is that a Powerpole brand?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

That look good Mike

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Thanks guys. I used this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XC ... UTF8&psc=1

It seemed to have the least noticable indicator light. I didn't want something distracting while driving at night. There are also a lot that come with a small LED volt meter.
There is just enough room to fit two side by side but a bit of side trimming would be necessary as well. I don't need that many ports. I wanted to have it be powered all of the time with the option of turning it off so I went with a single one and a switch.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

ShagWagon wrote:I bought a radio with a USB charger. But I'm thinking of putting some in where all the ashtrays are in the back. People don't smoke anymore.
That's a smoking idea! I'd use it if I still had a back seat.

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

I just added some USB charging points too. Except for me I had to add a console since I had a clock...:-) . I installed a trio which included the panel, volt meter, 2 port USB charge station and 12v power point. I also added another 2 port USB charge station on the side. The console also has two side and one rear LED lights to help with lighting up the cabin at night. Also the Quadra Trac switch is now opposite of the USB switch on the drivers side. Much easier to get to now over being in the glove box.
Get rid of the middle man. I picked up the trio with panel for $9.50 shipped. These people sell on Amazon too, but they ask for more money because they know we will buy it. I get most of my stuff from Aliexpress. Just keep in mind it does take a bit of time to get to the USA. I have a lot more time than money.... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-12V- ... autifyAB=0
20180218_090136s.jpg
20180218_090308s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

bwwhaler

Post by bwwhaler »

I bought one like this off amazon, has 4 usb's and 3 of the large lighter charging ports, also has a voltmeter, it has adhesive strips so you can mount it somewhere if wanted, I use it between multiple vehicles, works great when everyone wants to charge their phones, etc... really easy on the wallet too....
https://www.amazon.com/Otium-3-Socket-C ... GWA3AP5W7T
1987 GW 360/727/229 Performer intake Holley 670 32's 4" BJ's Springs CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

Very nice clean install....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

What size wiring did you use and where did you get the power from. the cigarett light the wires are super super small like 18ga or something maybe smaller.. and it charges my cell phone 1% every like 5 minutes.. when i put a car tire pump in there it drew so much power i could smell hot wiring and the wires got hot.. in my grabd cherokee the power outlet never got hot. So id imagine you need to tap in the correct power source and it has be big enough in size to handle the current of modern electronics.

The cheapo power outlets with 2 usb connectors the wires on them are 10 or 12ga wires
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

candymancan wrote:What size wiring did you use and where did you get the power from. the cigarett light the wires are super super small like 18ga or something maybe smaller.. and it charges my cell phone 1% every like 5 minutes.. when i put a car tire pump in there it drew so much power i could smell hot wiring and the wires got hot.. in my grabd cherokee the power outlet never got hot. So id imagine you need to tap in the correct power source and it has be big enough in size to handle the current of modern electronics.

The cheapo power outlets with 2 usb connectors the wires on them are 10 or 12ga wires
It's interesting you noted this. My tablet would report 'slow charging' when I used the cigar ligher. I assumed it was the quality of the adapter. I will go try it out on my rear ports which are wired with 10 guage.

I am surprised the factory cigar ligher would have small gauge, heating the element must draw some serious power? But only for a short time.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

ghcoe wrote:I just added some USB charging points too. Except for me I had to add a console since I had a clock...:-) . I installed a trio which included the panel, volt meter, 2 port USB charge station and 12v power point. I also added another 2 port USB charge station on the side. The console also has two side and one rear LED lights to help with lighting up the cabin at night. Also the Quadra Trac switch is now opposite of the USB switch on the drivers side. Much easier to get to now over being in the glove box.
Get rid of the middle man. I picked up the trio with panel for $9.50 shipped. These people sell on Amazon too, but they ask for more money because they know we will buy it. I get most of my stuff from Aliexpress. Just keep in mind it does take a bit of time to get to the USA. I have a lot more time than money.... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-12V- ... autifyAB=0

20180218_090136s.jpg
20180218_090308s.jpg
That turned out sharp!

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

will e wrote:That turned out sharp!
Thanks! Video of build here https://youtu.be/KXglOWeXDqE.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

letank

Post by letank »

will e wrote:
candymancan wrote:What size wiring did you use and where did you get the power from. the cigarett light the wires are super super small like 18ga or something maybe smaller.. and it charges my cell phone 1% every like 5 minutes.. when i put a car tire pump in there it drew so much power i could smell hot wiring and the wires got hot.. in my grabd cherokee the power outlet never got hot. So id imagine you need to tap in the correct power source and it has be big enough in size to handle the current of modern electronics.

It's interesting you noted this. My tablet would report 'slow charging' when I used the cigar ligher. I assumed it was the quality of the adapter. I will go try it out on my rear ports which are wired with 10 guage.

I am surprised the factory cigar ligher would have small gauge, heating the element must draw some serious power? But only for a short time.
Neat install, I like tablet mount as well, any specs on it please, please! I have a sero7 tablet, and trying to mount it with the "Ram-Mount" system.

The charge efficiency depends on the amp capacity of the step down adapter, some are rated 1.0 and others 2.0 or 2.1A. At 1.0 it is not enough to fully charge a device like a cell phone, it merely maintain the charge. On my last trip I had a 1.0, after a few weeks the phone battery was discharging rapidly... bought a new battery, same, then I found out about the charging specs.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

The adapter has a 1.0 and a 2.1 port. Even in the 1.0 I didn't get the 'slow charging' message on the tablet but I also didn't notice the charging rate. I will give it a few trys out on the trail.

I used the ram mount system.

This roll bar mout: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KO ... UTF8&psc=1
It works really well. For a tablet you want to go 1.5" ball minimum. I went with a slightly longer arm mount, it just gives a bit more flexibility on location. I can move it around if the sunlight is hitting it wrong and if I have a passenger can point it in their direction.

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Very nice :) I need to do this to mine :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

letank

Post by letank »

will e wrote:
I used the ram mount system.

This roll bar mout: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KO ... UTF8&psc=1
It works really well. For a tablet you want to go 1.5" ball minimum. I went with a slightly longer arm mount, it just gives a bit more flexibility on location. I can move it around if the sunlight is hitting it wrong and if I have a passenger can point it in their direction.
Got it, you have a roll cage, it took me a while to figure it out
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)