Dash Switch?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Brly

Dash Switch?

Post by Brly »

I got the brake system back together this weekend. Still needs work, but it was enough to push the truck out of the garage so I could try to start it. It hasn't ran in 3 or 4 years per the PO, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Had to crank it over a while to get fuel up to the carb, but it fired right up once it was there and idled pretty nice! Drove it back and forth a few times on my ice covered parking area then let it idle while I swept out the garage. No leaks or other major issues that I saw. Headlights, tail lights, running lights and turn signals all work. Not sure about the reverse lights yet. Wipers work and it blew heat when I turned the fan on! Must say I'm pleasantly suprised. Pulled it back in for the night. Went out to work on the brakes tonight and no puddles of oil, antifreeze or anything else under it. Once the brakes are wrapped up I want to get it on the road for a few short trips and then get it inspected.
So what is the toggle switch on the dash to the right of the e brake light? I thought the switch was for the dome light, and it may be, but nothing happens when I flip it on. Is the big black knob for the PTO winch? There's a smaller red pull knob under the dash about in the middle of the truck. Not sure what that's for either.
Ben
20180212_212429.jpg
Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1966 Jeep J3600 Gladiator - AMC 327/T18/D20

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Re: Dash Switch?

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

Looks aftermarket to me
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Yes, there's usually a plug in the hole where the toggle switch is, if anything. It's related to some owner-added accessory. I'd suggest you simply trace the wires - you have the Jeep to explain it to you.

Yes, the big black knob looks like a PTO control cable. Get under the Jeep and see where it goes.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

will e

Post by will e »

I will have to check my history but I am pretty sure that is aftermarket. Colors were not invented until later. ;)
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Brly

Post by Brly »

So the toggle switch turns on the dash lights. I think it probably turns on the dome light too, but the bulb is out or some other issue I haven't tracked down yet. The big black knob is the PTO and the red pull knob under the dash is the hazards.
Ordered some junior west coast mirrors. There's no mirror on the passenger side and the drivers side is a junior west coast that has been painted at some point. I found something that should work and looks very similar to the drivers side mirror.
I'll be out of town this weekend, but hopefully the following weekend I can get it inspected.
1966 Jeep J3600 Gladiator - AMC 327/T18/D20