Center cap screw Size and repair question

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Vince

Center cap screw Size and repair question

Post by Vince »

On my GW project all of the centercap screws are broken off. Does anyone know the proper size for the replacements? Also does anyone have any experience repairing this problem? I was thinking of using self tapping screw instead of drilling and re-tapping the holes. Any thoughts or recommendations?

candymancan

Re: Center cap screw Size and repair question

Post by candymancan »

Id drill and retap... If you use a self tapping screw you risk cracking the rim if you mean to make a new hole i would think. Not worth it. That or the screw gets stuck and breaks off lol

i have the same issues.. i can still mount all 4 caps. but they are all using odd sized screws and they all have 1 broken screw in the wheel.. ima jist drill all the holes out and tap them and put in some stainless screws
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
Vince

Post by Vince »

Thanks - I will probably end up drilling and taping them - Does anyone know what size hole and threads?

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

TGW sells the exact replacement... I bought them and next time I hit the hardware store will compare and post up here. All my center cap screws had been replaced at some point by smaller screws. Got tired of waiting for that sound when you know you’re about to lose one!
1984 GW