Cherokee AMC 360 Sniper EFI install

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

FSJ Guy

Re: Cherokee AMC 360 Sniper EFI install

Post by FSJ Guy »

Woohoo!!!!
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Sounds like fun. Can't wait to see the progress.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Started slow. Working out fuel pump details. Ordered the wrong one to start with. Finally figured it out. Got a spare tank to mock up the sender with in tank pump assembly. Got that from Jerry in Globe. A wealth of parts and assistance. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

I just used a stick to measure from top of sender to bottom of tank and modified pump tube to pickup to fit and make sure the float arm went all the way to bottom.

Looks like you got fancy lol
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Did have to do some drain, refill and adjust some several times to make sure the gauge worked the way that I liked it.

Put a lawnmower battery to it and changed the hose back to the gas can outside the tank on the ground.

Can run some jumper wires to your gauge wires to check and make sure it operates correctly.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Not fancy. Had the chance to use the tank so I did. If mocking it up helps I like it! I plan on testing the gauging system before final install.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

babywag

Post by babywag »

az chip wrote:Not fancy. Had the chance to use the tank so I did. If mocking it up helps I like it! I plan on testing the gauging system before final install.
Having a tank chunk to mock up does indeed help.
I've used this chunk-o-tank a few times now.
Debated selling ready to install units for a while, but demand wasn't very high @ time.
This was six years ago though, maybe different now?

-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

If I had an extra I would have done the same thing.

The ones they sell for replacement are off. The pickup tubes are about 2.5" short and the floats aren't accurately bent.

My only guess is that they are for older tanks which may be different than an 87.

babywag

Post by babywag »

ShagWagon wrote:
My only guess is that they are for older tanks which may be different than an 87.
1980-1991 same tank for the wag/cherokee
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

The tanks Jerry had one has a large horseshoe shaped well for fuel and the other is shallow. Both are poly tanks. Seems there are two kinds.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Getting this thing started. Ripping and tearing parts off. ImageImageImage

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Ready to pull. Just can’t make any more noise at this hour. Next time...ImageImage

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Moving along.
ImageImageImage

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Progress! Full update soon. ImageImage

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Hmmm. Thinking on the possibility of the 2bbl version of this vs GM TBI. Do you need to mod the dizzy on this efi as well?

They claim integrated timing control, so my guess is yes.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

To be honest there is more to the Holley Sniper than slap on and drive. There is the same tuning adjustments as the GM Tbi. In the forums I see a lot of issues with timing if you have a magnetic pick up like we have. They say it works with both. A lot of people have issues until they put in the very expensive Holley distributor which I don't think even works on our engines. Just do your homework before acting.
Last edited by az chip on Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Well, according to their youtube install clip, I can run the stock dizzy sans timing control. That said, my timing is already msd controlled. So, if I'm not totally misunderstanding it, I would just connect the yellow sniper wire to the negative coil terminal. FWIW, I'm also running the TFI ignition setup.

Edit, I apparently use the tach output from the MSD to the sniper green and purple.

Double edit. The purple wire would be used if the Sniper was controlling timing, correct? I would also need a capable dizzy.

So if not, I guess I would go with the first method of hooking up the yellow wire to coil?
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Yeah. You have me confused now. Jut read the instructions. LOL.

will e

Post by will e »

On my old Holley system the connection to the coil was basically just used to confirm the engine was running, it had no bearing on the actual fuel curve.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

az chip wrote:Yeah. You have me confused now. Jut read the instructions. LOL.
Reading is what confuses me..... :mrgreen: How are you going to do yours?