Fuel Injection and Engine Rebuild Questions

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
Santeh

Fuel Injection and Engine Rebuild Questions

Post by Santeh »

Hello All,

After quite a bit of searching, queries, and discussions I did indeed end up with a 1978 Cherokee SJ. However, the Jeep came with a number of issues that I was unaware of and I have already rebuilt the front end and replaced the water pump and alternator. However, the 360 V8 engine has many leaks (power steering, pan gasket, torque converter, and several oil) yet while I am told the engine is strong it may need to be rebuilt. Along that line I have a friend that has a nice, fully working year 2000 5.7L V8 LS1 that he is willing to give me. I am curious what you all might feel both about the performance and power of the LS1 over the AMC 360 V8, as well as resale value of the 1978 Cherokee SJ if the original 360 V8 engine with approximately 126,000 miles on it is replaced with the much newer LS1?

Yet if I do keep the 360 V8 engine I would also have to deal with the fact that the SUV currently likes to struggle to start moving when stopped at a light. This is, perhaps due to the carburetor, not surprising and does get better once the SUV warms up and I go slow after a light turns green. Along with possibly tearing down the 360 V8 and fixing any found issues along with the many leaks, I was told that the SUV would benefit greatly from replacing its current Edelbrock carburetor with a FiTech Go EFI 400 HP fuel injection system with a FiTech delivery system. I was curious what you all might think of this, especially in a hot Florida environment?

Thank you all!
1978 Jeep Cherokee S; 5.9L/360 V8 automatic/FiTech fuel injection and Davis Unified Distributor systems.

Cheapthrills

Re: Fuel Injection and Engine Rebuild Questions

Post by Cheapthrills »

I vote ls1 you will roughly double your power but there are a lot of costs behind that swap especially if you have it done in shop. At 130k on the clock engine "should" be in good shape IF IT WAS MAINTAINED. oil leeks happen with AMC engines they are prone to them. As far as sale of the AMC it's few hundred, it is used with no warranty and unknown history (i.e. run out of oil ever, blown head gaskets ect. Ect ).

I'm rebuilding one of my 360s for one waggy and prepping an ls swap in another.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Don't use the FITech fuel command center, if you go EFI. Either put a pump in-tank or use a good in-line pump.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

To really check the health of the engine, you need to do a compression and leakdown test. If those are good, it would be worth it to reseal the engine.

The last engine swap I did with a free engine still cost me around $900. That was with building my own engine mounts, $40 for a GM to AMC TF727 adapter, and doing the work myself. It's the little stuff that will kill ya'.

If you do keep the 360, a mild cam and a good 4bbl card (EDELBROCK) will do nicely, especially down there in the flat land.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

Hello All!

My sincerest apologies for not replying as there was simply so much going on. I still have the LS1 available to me but I am told it will cost $8,000-10,000 to swap it for the 360 V8 with one reason being the cost of getting the LS1 to marry to the 1978 Cherokee design. Unfortunately, since I last wrote my 360 V8 engine died (I do not know why) thus I would be looking at a full rebuild of the 360 which I am also told will costs between $3,400-6,000. I think if I had the funds I would do the LS1 swap/conversion as it would appear to afford me a very solid engine for the '78 Cherokee, but on a teacher's salary I am not sure I can as I also need to attend to some other issues (full repainting, new carpet, new roof rack, winch, fog lights, etc).

Thank you again everyone! :)
1978 Jeep Cherokee S; 5.9L/360 V8 automatic/FiTech fuel injection and Davis Unified Distributor systems.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

PARTS for an LS swap should NOT cost $10,000 USD. Canadian or Aussie, perhaps. I'd think the cost to adapt a Chevy motor would be right around the cost to rebuild the AMC motor.

Given that, I'd swap for the LS motor and have more power and reliability.
:- )
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

It was $1700+$100 shipping there and back for a stock AMC 360 rebuild at S&J motors last march with 10 year/100k warranty. Whole thing takes less than 2 weeks there and back.

Fitech plus Novak in tank pump is $1100 or so. Fuel command center from fitech is Nono. Idk about the new ones they've put out but FCC=bad design fail

About $3k to do it plus labor if you pay someone else.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

I am sorry if I was not clear, but I was quoted $8,000-10,000 for everythjng (removal of old 360 engine, fabrication of parts/locating parts needed to attach engine, putting LS1 in, labor, etc), thus not just for parts. Yet if I could find someone in my area (Tampa Florida) to install the LS1 in to my 1978 Cherokee for a total of $3,000 including parts and labor it would be an easy decision (especially as I have the LS1 available for free from an amazing friend who is also an expert with automotive repairs and maintenance thus the engine is in very good shape). Everything I have heard about the LS1 is that it would be a better choice than the 360, thus I would indeed prefer the LS1 as I hope to use the Jeep for many years to come.
Last edited by Santeh on Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

Sorry, accidental double post...

babywag

Post by babywag »

There are aftermarket LS engine mounts available, not real sure why a shop would need to fabricate/find parts?
If money is an issue, and you're paying for labor, an engine swap probably isn't the logical way to go.

Stick with the AMC engine, it'll be far cheaper.
Why not find out what's wrong, you may not need an engine?
You could also find a good used one, and have that installed, then save up enough $ until you can complete an LS swap.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

babywag wrote:There are aftermarket LS engine mounts available, not real sure why a shop would need to fabricate/find parts?
If money is an issue, and you're paying for labor, an engine swap probably isn't the logical way to go.

Stick with the AMC engine, it'll be far cheaper.
Why not find out what's wrong, you may not need an engine?
You could also find a good used one, and have that installed, then save up enough $ until you can complete an LS swap.
I might just have to go that route. I am not sure what is wrong with my 360, but I am told that it might need a complete rebuild. If I could not put in the LS, and do need another engine, I would not mind one of the 401 V8's.

Just out of curiosity, with the LS1 being much newer tech than the 360 V8, is it reasonable to expect a bit better gas mileage out of it in my 1978 Cherokee? If so, how much better gas mileage?

Also, would swapping out a 1978 360 V8 with a year 2000 LS1 alter the resale value on the Cherokee?

Thanks again all!

babywag

Post by babywag »

All the LS swap stuff have been discussed and there is a wealth of info in many threads already.
Not being able to DIY, it is going to be a very expensive venture.

Again find out what's exactly wrong with your engine, and go from there.
Was it making noise(s), or did it just stop working.

A lot of shops/mechanics will condemn an engine even when it isn't done.
It's a very good payday for them, LOT$ of labor $.
Especially if they see someone who doesn't have knowledge about cars.
Don't assume just because it's old, that it's done or in need of a full rebuild.

Maybe it is done, but the "my 360 V8 engine died (I do not know why)" should @ least be answered before you shell out thousands and thousands of $$.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)