Tailgate window upgrade to relay control.

bwwhaler

Re: Tailgate window upgrade to relay control.

Post by bwwhaler »

I know he ran a 30 amp breaker from the battery, then to the new dash switch then all the wires including hot wire back to the relays on the plate, once it gets there, he split the functions up through the relays, and it was fused there as well, had mine blow once, but I didn't mount mine like he said to, I just have it lying vertically in the bottom of the tailgate.
1987 GW 360/727/229 Performer intake Holley 670 32's 4" BJ's Springs CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

chrisrkirby

Post by chrisrkirby »

bwwhaler wrote:I know he ran a 30 amp breaker from the battery, then to the new dash switch then all the wires including hot wire back to the relays on the plate, once it gets there, he split the functions up through the relays, and it was fused there as well, had mine blow once, but I didn't mount mine like he said to, I just have it lying vertically in the bottom of the tailgate.

Thank you, that does help. Is there any way you could take pictures of the relays and fuses on the board? I want to try and get everything as Rick did them.

Thanks again.

bwwhaler

Post by bwwhaler »

I will the next time I'm in there, I really don't like going in there, but every once in a while, I must...
1987 GW 360/727/229 Performer intake Holley 670 32's 4" BJ's Springs CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

chrisrkirby

Post by chrisrkirby »

bwwhaler wrote:I will the next time I'm in there, I really don't like going in there, but every once in a while, I must...

I understand.....believe me, I truly understand.

Thank you

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Got you guys covered. I tore my tailgate apart today and sketched up a diagram. I'm uploading it to the modified section.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

chrisrkirby

Post by chrisrkirby »

dodgerammit wrote:Got you guys covered. I tore my tailgate apart today and sketched up a diagram. I'm uploading it to the modified section.
Thank you very much.....but, I can't find it.

turtlehead

Post by turtlehead »

Hey all!

I installed my harness and never got around to actually plugging a window motor into it.

Finally installed my original window motor - it kinda worked slowly for 5-10 seconds then died.

I just assumed the OLD motor was had - couldn't ever get it to move again.

So, I bought a new/refurbished motor, installed it, powered it on, same thing... ran REALLY SLOW/weak (without the window installed, just on the arms) and within 5-10 seconds it died. I removed it from the bracket/arms/gears - plugged it in and tried to run it without any of that stuff - and the motor wouldn't respond at all.

I have a feeling something is wrong with the wiring and it's frying the electric motor.

Any suggestions/ideas??

Here's a photo of the harness/wiring installed without the motor:
I installed the two red wires in terminals 1 and 2 opposite of the blue wires - I'm 99% sure that's correct, but also wondering if that's where I went wrong?
1972 Wagoneer
filthy mods by previous owner:
1986 Dodge W100 Axles
Random brake parts...
1967 Buick 340 engine
SOA swap with some questionable install parts

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Looks correct. You do have the old wiring totally disconnected, correct? I know if mine is faulting out, (from a brainless wiring connection :P ) it'll just click.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Posted this in response to your other post:

Idunno but the two blue wires look smaller.

I'm wondering if they should go to the tailgatenotclosed switch.

Serehill seemed a pretty meticulous guy and I'm thinking he had the control signals on one terminal block and the output on the other.

I don't have the pins on the relay socket memorized so I'd have to dig out a relay to look at to know for sure.

No instructions came with it?

Edit:

After looking at a relay and that close up picher I think the blues go to relay pins 30 which would be the motor leads. Either the two on a two wire motor or the up and down on a three wire.

Gonna have to study the pics more. To try and understand what's going on with your motor.

Also, where does the safety switch connect? Maybe the connector in the red wire? Looks like it feeds the switches. Unmate it and connect to the switch in series if you have it; leave the connector mated as is if you don't?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

lilblackjeep

Post by lilblackjeep »

Does anyone know which wireless controllers were used? Obviously need something that the button needs to be held down or bad things will happen. Pics or part numbers would be cool. Thanks

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

lilblackjeep wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:05 am Does anyone know which wireless controllers were used? Obviously need something that the button needs to be held down or bad things will happen. Pics or part numbers would be cool. Thanks
I would suggest starting a new thread to ask about this. I am going to lock this thread as Serehill is no longer with us.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ