Cherokee Chief aftermarket seats

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
johnfurda

Post by johnfurda »

Hey Im new to the forum and I have a question. Ive been looking to replace my seats. are there front seats and maybe rear seats that will bolt right in to a 79 Cherokee Chief

az chip

Re: Cherokee Chief aftermarket seats

Post by az chip »

Lots of options. Wagoneer seats do. But do not fold forward. I think the rear seat works as well.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Hooby

Post by Hooby »

My roommate is looking at this company for some new seats in his IH Scout Traveler. These look to be nice options if you don't mind having aftermarket seats, they're designed to resemble stock seat characteristics. Looks like they make a bracket to fit Wagoneers, they don't have SJ Cherokee's listed under the bracket section, but my guess would be they're the same as a Wagoneer. I haven't seen these in person, but just wanted to let you know about them, they seem pretty nice.

Link: https://corbeau.com/sport-seat.html

Topic author
johnfurda

Post by johnfurda »

awesome thanks! im i want high back front seats and maybe rear seat with head rests for my kids.
so I could look for any wanoneer seat and it should fit :-)

az chip

Post by az chip »

Anything that fits a wagoneer pattern should fit a Cherokee. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
johnfurda

Post by johnfurda »

Thanks Az Chip. that seats looks good

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Depending on the condition of your seat foam, you can have a fairly OEM looking seatcover made by a decent upholstery shop. The 79 is fairly straightforward and can be easily reproduced. I'm one of those guys who does this kind of work.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

cmaje72

Post by cmaje72 »

I picked up some corbeau baja rs seats off of craigslist a few weeks back. I havn't installed them yet but it looks like they will bolt right up to the cherokee seat sliders. The only thing I'm not sure about is the height of the side bolsters on these. They might be a little high. I'll try to take some pics when I get them in. I have bestop low back buckets in there now from the PO and they suck. I would take the stock low backs over them any day.
Last edited by cmaje72 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
79 Cherokee 5.3/4l65E/NP241C
79 CJ7

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I have had my sights set on Corbeau Moabs for quite a while now. Even had a set ordered from Morris. Did not receive a shipping notification in what I deemed a reasonable amount of time, so I called them. They were out of stock and expected to get them in stock in the first of October, my money served to "hold my place in the queue". They ship straight from the manufacturer. So I had them cancel my order as I had other projects I could put the money to work on (don't need them just sitting on my $ until they are in stock). I have been thinking about re-ordering them, but if you will do your homework, you will see that at Quadratec shows them still temporarily out of stock. Everyone offers them at the same price, so can't really get a deal somewhere on them.

I am referring specifically to the Spice color as thats what would match in my Chief best. They may have the black models in stock.

May try to call Corbeau and see what they say is going on.

Topic author
johnfurda

Post by johnfurda »

cmaje72 wrote:I picked up some corbeau baja rs seats off of craigslist a few weeks back. I havn't installed them yet but it looks like they will bolt right up to the cherokee seat sliders. The only thing I'm not sure about is the height of the side bolsters on these. They might be a little high. I'll try to take some pics when I get them in. I have bestop low back buckets in there not from the PO and they suck. I would take the stock low backs over them any day.
thanks i like the stock seats but i want the high back with the head rest my wife likes safe seats. and the driver seat was sat in by someone heavy so it is in a permanent recline.
Yes to photos. Iwould love to see these seats in your Chief.

Topic author
johnfurda

Post by johnfurda »

1979bettywhite wrote:I have had my sights set on Corbeau Moabs for quite a while now. Even had a set ordered from Morris. Did not receive a shipping notification in what I deemed a reasonable amount of time, so I called them. They were out of stock and expected to get them in stock in the first of October, my money served to "hold my place in the queue". They ship straight from the manufacturer. So I had them cancel my order as I had other projects I could put the money to work on (don't need them just sitting on my $ until they are in stock). I have been thinking about re-ordering them, but if you will do your homework, you will see that at Quadratec shows them still temporarily out of stock. Everyone offers them at the same price, so can't really get a deal somewhere on them.

I am referring specifically to the Spice color as thats what would match in my Chief best. They may have the black models in stock.

May try to call Corbeau and see what they say is going on.

Thanks I'll check these ones out too. i think I want black as my chief is light blue with black stripe

Topic author
johnfurda

Post by johnfurda »

Tatsadasayago wrote:Depending on the condition of your seat foam, you can have a fairly OEM looking seatcover made by a decent upholstery shop. The 79 is fairly straightforward and can be easily reproduced. I'm one of those guys who does this kind of work.

Thanks I'm looking to get something with a higher back front and rear. I want my wife and kids to have a safer seat for there head and neck. but i might want to do the seat covers if i ever want to sell them. what do you charge to reproduce the covers?

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

If the seat is all vinyl, 125.00 each. If it's a Levi or cloth insert the price goes up.

Topic author
johnfurda

Post by johnfurda »

thanks

Topic author
johnfurda

Post by johnfurda »

Any ideas for a rear seat that has head rests?

cmaje72

Post by cmaje72 »

In addition to the corbeau seats which I still have not gotten around to installing I picked up a 3rd row seat from an 01 tahoe. It has built in shoulder belts and headrests. Looks like it will fit great but its not going to be a bolt in. The K5 blazer guys like to replace their rear seats with them.
The cherokee is coming off the road soon for the winter so hopefully I will get to working on the seat installs soon.
79 CJ7

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Those Tahoe seats are very comfortable!

babywag

Post by babywag »

I did this in back if one of my wags, mostly because I had them already.
Way comfy, and way safer for my kids!

Fronts are lincoln mark viii, rears are buick roadmaster.
rear shoulder belts also from roadmaster.
definitely not bolt in, took some work make everything fit.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

cmaje72

Post by cmaje72 »

I finally had a chance to get the Corbeau Baja RS seats installed. They were bolt on to the stock sliders. They are comfortable but there is one downside for a daily driver. The bolsters are pretty high and the structure of the seat is right under the bolster. You should be able to see it in the pics below. I'm only 5'7" and I managed to clunk my head on the door frame the first time I got in. So as long as I remember to duck its ok.
Looking at the other seats they offer I think toe Corbeau Moabs would be the better choice for a daily driver if you want a bolt in new seat.
I got these seats used for less than half price so I can't complain too much. I am going to build new brackets for the driver side that put the seat as low as possible. On the passenger side I don't think I can lower it at all due to the way the seat is mounted to the tranny hump but we will see.
20180503_205930.jpg
20180503_210012.jpg
20180503_210040.jpg
20180503_210004.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
79 CJ7

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

2001-2005 Pt cruiser seats are a bolt in. Pt cruiser sliders line up with our brackets with holes and all. The convertible cruisers have seats that tilt forward for the 2 door cherokees as well.
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition