77 Wagoneer

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
merrill77

77 Wagoneer

Post by merrill77 »

I picked up an 87 Wagoneer a few months ago on a whim. Kids love it, we've taken it for a few camping trips, including towing my trailer with all of our scout Pack's gear, and it's been fun. For a 30 year old Jeep, it has virtually no rust, runs reasonably well and doesn't look bad. The wife, however, said I should have spent more to get something nicer. She didn't have to tell me twice. A big truck dropped this off on Friday:

Most of those pics were not taken by me, so I'll get some more pics posted soon. It runs perfect and the body/paint are great IMO (not show-worthy, but really nice). Maintenance records indicate 109k miles in 2001 and it only has 111k on it now. In that time, somebody sank a ton of money into it and only drove it 2k miles - custom leather interior, all new door and window seals, VintageAir and RetroSound upgrades, Edelbrock MPFI and possibly a top-end rebuild with a mildly more aggressive cam. I'm just guessing on that last part based on the sound and how well it runs. I have no experience with AMC 401s, but it seems like it runs much too strong for a motor with 111k on it. There is a receipt for a $600 Maaco paint job from 2001. Seems like that quality of paint job could not look this good after 18 years, so maybe a paint job since then, too. Certainly new vinylwood was applied not too long ago.

The A/C blows cold like ice but the evaporator drains onto the floor :( I stuck a plastic stick pretty far up the drain tube, so the blockage seems to be inside somewhere. Tailgate window needs assistance going up. Rear windows are hard to crank as well. And some of the doors need alignment. I'm excited and looking to take care of the little things that need attention. I think I've already read every post on this site related to the tailgate window, but I'm sure I'll be posting a bunch of questions as I try to figure out that and the other issues.

TIA!
Chris
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

66stepside

Re: 77 Wagoneer

Post by 66stepside »

Dang, that’s a nice looking Waggie- congrats!

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

Pretty sweet I'm jealous

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Congrats! It is very pretty. :-bd I am curious what the front seats may have come from and really like the new leather. 401s rock it. Anyone says a 360 is pretty much the same engine is probably jealous because they only have a 360. ;)
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Wowsers!!! thats nice :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Everything about your Wagoneer is ugly and dumb and I hate you...out of pure jealousy! :P

That upholstery is just gorgeous! :-bd The rest is great too, but man, those seats!
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

i would also like to know more about and see more photos of the front seats.
Very nice new ride? Congrats!
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

Thanks for all the compliments! I take absolutely no credit for anything other than recognizing that it's pretty. And opening my wallet wide :)

I'll get some more pictures up soonish...especially of the seats. The fronts have been replaced with something from a newer car...and I want to see if anyone has ideas for what car they may have come from. And find some covers for front and back for our camping trips...when we know they might get dirty. I know. that is much too nice to take camping. But that was one of the things we bought it for, so I'll just have to find ways to keep it clean :)
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

When would look really nice (for seat covers to protect that beautiful leather) would be some sarape or falsa (Mexican blanket material) seat covers that are actually made in Mexico, especially in a blue that compliments the paint. :)
Grizzly Locker Rear

Topic author
merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

Here are some more pictures of the seats. It would be helpful to know what kind of car the front seats came from...cause I have no idea. And where I can get decent-fitting seat covers for both front and rear.

cargo area...

and last but not least...beauty that only be truly appreciated by old-car geeks who have busted a few knuckles repairing rust damage:

77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

Topic author
merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

REDONE wrote:When would look really nice (for seat covers to protect that beautiful leather) would be some sarape or falsa (Mexican blanket material) seat covers that are actually made in Mexico, especially in a blue that compliments the paint. :)
That would be nice! Any idea where to get some?
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I did a quick look around right after I suggested it but haven't found "it" just yet. If I see the perfect set I'll definitely let you know. :-bd
Grizzly Locker Rear

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I want my wag to look like this :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Merrill77, perhaps the previous owner knows what the seats came from?
I am also interested in the arm rests on your doors. They are not the stock wagoneer handle/armrest. They may also provide a clue on the front seats, if they came from the same vehicle.

Obviously, someone spent a lot of time and $$ to make your interior that sharp. The carpet also looks nicer and better fit than most of the kits that I have seen.

The only thing I could even think of that might tie the whole interior together a little tighter is wrapping your dash pad in the same leather. It would look really nice, but likely fade/dry out rather quickly due to so much direct sunlight.

You definitely found an exceptionally clean rig that someone has put a lot of thought and effort into. Maybe you can bring it to ECI at Uwharrie for us to gawk next year.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

jpswapmohn - I have visited the cfsjc.com site and tried to join the forum there, but my membership was never approved. I'd love to come out to ECI - I camp a lot with my boys...so some of them might even like to come along (is it a family affair?). But I'd likely keep this one off the trails. I have a 97 Wrangler for beating around in the bush :)

The previous owner got this Wagoneer when he bought some property, so he only had it for a few months. But he was a real nice guy - I'm going to get back in contact as I have a few questions. Maybe he'll put me in contact with the PO.

I agree on the dash. It's the only part of the interior that hasn't been touched...and it's looking its age. So after I get the problem areas sorted out, I may turn my attention to that. I like your idea for wrapping the pad in matching leather. I was also thinking about bringing the same exterior blue color that is also on the interior door edges onto some of the hard parts of the dash - like the glovebox and similar surfaces. New gauges like this Custom Gauge Cluster would look nice, too.
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

Topic author
merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

REDONE wrote:I did a quick look around right after I suggested it but haven't found "it" just yet. If I see the perfect set I'll definitely let you know. :-bd
Please do. The western look goes well with many FSJ styles, IMO.
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

rirealtor

Post by rirealtor »

I remember this wagoneer- was it through Ebay ? Updated pictures look great! Toyota Seats? Only guessing because of the base and seat belt clip ( female end)
75 Wagoneer Alpine White fresh from the Left Coast

Topic author
merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

Yes it was on eBay. It was in Frisco TX, which is a long way from me. Fortunately, my college roomate and fellow car guy (races BMWs) lives in Dallas which is pretty close, so he checked it out for me, picked it up after purchase and got it onto a truck headed my way. I owe him a nice steak dinner :)

Toyota seats possibly? Thanks - it's a start.
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

rirealtor

Post by rirealtor »

Mine was eBay as well- sight unseen from CA. Spoke w seller and could tell he was an honest guy. Shipped to RI where it gets thumbs up daily.
75 Wagoneer Alpine White fresh from the Left Coast

Topic author
merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

While investigating my fuel filling problem, I noticed this shiny block that looks suspiciously not OEM. Is that a 1" lift block under the spring?

77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.