Site no longer loads through my VPN

Area to ask questions or post comments related to the main site.

Topic author
jpswapmohn

Site no longer loads through my VPN

Post by jpswapmohn »

I always run a VPN (using Private Internet Access these days) for basic security on the interwebs. I have never had issue loading fsjnetwork until today. I thought the site was down, but in desperation (some of us need a FSJ fix regularly), I turned off the VPN and the site loaded right up.

Did something change in the site configurations? I know some sites intentionally set up blockers for VPN's (craigslist comes to mind..).
Just curious.
b
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Site no longer loads through my VPN

Post by Stuka »

Nothing that I am aware of has changed. I am not purposefully trying to block VPN's, as I don't have any reason too really.

I would be curious as to what the server response was. Did you get reset, was it some 40x code, or whatever. The browser dev tools can get you that information if you are tech savvy (and ( am guessing you are if you are running a VPN).

BTW: Sorry for the late response, my Wife just had surgery so have not been on much the last week.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

No worries.
It may have been the VPN. Sometimes PIA gets bogged down. I have since been able to get onto the site without issue with the VPN up. I also clear everything each time I close a browser and shutdown, so unfortunately I don't have the info from when it was not loading.

I am not real tech savvy, but I have spent a lot of time in some shatty corners of the world and do what I can to keep my systems clean. You think Russian hacking and such is an issue here...you should crank up your laptop in a hotel in one of the countries bordering them! Not to mention the other yokels just trying to get any information/files from your system. Over there, if I couldn't get to something I needed to through the VPN, I didn't get to it. Wasn't worth the risk. Several of guys ran virtual machines from thumb drives. I thought that was pretty slick. I know one guy that is so paranoid, he has a separate one for each task/function. 1 is only used for his online banking, 1 is only used for accessing online retailers, etc. I understand why, and it is good practice, but what a PITA!

I also clear everything each time I close a browser, so unfortunately I don't have the info from when it was not loading.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Oh if I was over there, I would be super paranoid too. And i try to avoid free wifi, even here.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

When I was 'Over Yonder' I used an encrypted VPN and Live Disc Linux OS for the same reasons. It was a pain to get running but worked well enough. I had many experiences where normal sites simply didn't work for me. I figured 'whomever' was reading the mail on my connection was deliberately messing with DNS to force me to run bareback. It's possible you were experiencing something similar.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation