XJ clutch and brake pedals in a FSJ?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Red-dog

XJ clutch and brake pedals in a FSJ?

Post by Red-dog »

I am parting out my '94 xj to get the ax15 and np 231 to put in my '86 Waggy. When I get all the parts I will start a build thread so you can all laugh at my ignorance/incompetence. I will never be able to do it without a healthy dose of help from people here. The question I have today is: can I use the clutch and brake pedals and bracket in the fsj without having to do a bunch knot re-engineering? I have seen other people here mention Dodge brackets and pedals but I am already this far into disassembly and these would be free. Any thoughts?
'86 GW, work in progress.
'01 wj, DD

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: XJ clutch and brake pedals in a FSJ?

Post by Stuka »

The length of the pedals is quite different as I recall (been a while since I owned an XJ though). They pedals would end up quite a bit higher than you would want. Yes you can mount them lower with a different bracket, but then i think they may be too low for the master cylinder.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Red-dog

Post by Red-dog »

Ahhh! Knew I wasn't thinking of something. Perhaps lengthening the pedals? I assume it would be impossible or hard to use different pedals on this bracket. If this is just a bad idea, are Dodge pedals the way to go? I kept the master and slave cylinders because I am reusing the bellhousing so I know the slave will fit. Copying 230ohc and putting an om617 in front of the trans.
'01 wj, DD

Topic author
Red-dog

Post by Red-dog »

Maybe J-truck pedals wouldn't be too hard to find. More manuals in those than waggy's, right?
'01 wj, DD

Topic author
Red-dog

Post by Red-dog »

Ok, did what i should have done before I bothered you fine people and cleaned all the junk out of the intended recipient to measure the pedals. Fsj pedals are about an inch longer from top pivot point to the center of the pedal with a similar distance from top pivot to where the brake booster is attached to the pedal arm. No clutch master means I can put it where I want. I can overcome that but the firewall attachment is totally different. I think I will keep the xj bracket because I intend to replace the Waggy dash and will have a good view at that point. Surely, a J-truck system would be more plug and play or maybe the firewalls of the two vehicles are less similar than I imagine. If anyone has taken a Waggy with A/T and put a manual in it, please let me know how you did it.
'01 wj, DD

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

A lot of Cherokees had manuals in them, as well. I learned to drive in one.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

For my '84 I made a new pivot shaft with a threaded ends. The left side sticks out the left side of the pedal bracket for the clutch pedal. Used a pedal from a '65 Wag.

It was kinda flexy so I added a bracket on the left end outside of the clutch pedal that bolts to the bottom of the cowl.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Red-dog

Post by Red-dog »

Hey, that's an idea. So you just added a clutch bracket to the existing brake bracket? Lots of options.
'01 wj, DD

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Red-dog wrote:Hey, that's an idea. So you just added a clutch bracket to the existing brake bracket? Lots of options.
The sled bracket (from the edge of the dash to the firewall) is the same, manual or automatic. The automatic brake pedal is different, being wider than the manual pedal. But the manual pedals hang from the same shaft that the automatic pedal does, though the automatic shaft does not stick out to support the clutch pedal. Likely easiest to get the pedals, shaft, and sled bracket as an assembly and bolt it in. There would not be much call for these parts on their own, so you may as well take them as a unit.

Note also you want the brake pedal angle to match the clutch pedal angle. There are two different styles, according to my book. If you take the whole assembly, you would not have to worry about that.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I added the support at the end of the shaft because I didn't like the flexing. I was working with '65 parts so the bracket didn't fit the dash.

This was 15 years ago or so. Recently I decided to go with the early dash so I had to modify it to fit the '84 bracket.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Red-dog

Post by Red-dog »

Thanks for the help. I think FSJ parts are the way to go (duh), think I may have found a J-truck set already. Being cheap seldom pays off.
'01 wj, DD

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I'd sell off as much of the XJ as I could, and apply the proceeds. IIRC the early CJ guys can use the XJ pedal assembly ...
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Red-dog

Post by Red-dog »

Most of the good stuff is spoken for locally by my friends in town. That's the only reason I didn't list it here or on the other jeep site. Much of what is left is junk and I am on a schedule. The guy I share shop space with is unamused with this project. The xj is in his space. I will sell off the xj bracket and pedals. If anyone knows of "in demand" parts please let me know before the carcass goes to the big jeep yard in the sky. Selling cheap. The xj carried me a bunch of miles so I just want as much of her to live on as possible.
'01 wj, DD

4bz

Post by 4bz »

I converted my 77 cherokee from a th400/quadratrac to a t-18/dana 20. I was able to salvage a clutch and brake pedal assembly from a junkyard j20 truck to do so. The manual transmission bracket (aka sled bracket) has an extra tab welded onto it that the automatic transmission bracket does not. The tab holds one end of the clutch return spring that is under the dash. You can get by without the spring if you find only the pedals without the bracket. The pedals can be removed from the donor vehicle in about 15 minutes without pulling the bracket, and pulling the bracket takes about an hour. The steering column needs to be unbolted and moved out of the way, and the master brake cylinder bolts need to be removed to get the pedal bracket out. Your best bet is to find a pedal assembly for sale that has already been removed from the donor vehicle. The clutch rod boot that goes on tlhe firewall is no longer available as a new manufactured fsj part (at least not for my 77). You will need to substitute a cj5 part or some other vehicle boot for the conversion, and modify it to work on your firewall.

Topic author
Red-dog

Post by Red-dog »

I'm using the xj style clutch master and slave cylinder which comes with a boot, IIRC. I wonder if the clutch rod will connect to the J truck pedal?
'01 wj, DD