Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Not huge progress today but I did pull the passenger side door panels and gave the doors some love. Lubed all the window and lock mechanisms to make em work a little better. I also pulled the electrical connectors apart and cleaned the little corrosion I found . Applied some dielectric grease and put it partially back together.
Tomorrow I'm going to try and look at swapping the stereo head unit and stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

az chip

Re: Wife's Waggy

Post by az chip »

Stereo with what?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

az chip wrote:Stereo with what?
The factory radio functions but isn't anything to brag about. The rt front speaker only works when you slam the door just right, the ft left only barely produces any sound, and neither of the rears work. Wife had wanted a fancy one to do all the modern stuff like Bluetooth etc. I have the Pioneer flip out touch screen I got her but she won't need since we got her a car. I'm gonna see what I can do to make the Jeep sound good with the various stuff I have laying around. I also want to try my luck at learning some fiberglass work. Gonna make a speaker box or two and see how they come out. I'll take pics as I go. Image

az chip

Post by az chip »

*Sigh* Weren't you going to install the TBI?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

az chip wrote:*Sigh* Weren't you going to install the TBI?
Lol. I am.
It will take a few days to do the tbi and I'll have to be at the shop for that. Since I have school at night and am limited by what I can do in the apartment parking lot, I'll do the stereo as I can. The tbi may be this weekend or next. Depending on the funds for the shop. Sorry for the delay. Image

az chip

Post by az chip »

LOL. Just funning with ya. I have enough of my own backed up projects.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

I can finally say I found something Chrysler did that I appreciate. The change to the new dash with the plastic glove box was an improvement. The way they designed the mount for the radio was also pretty cool. Often times when swapping in a new head unit I'm forced to molest the dash to get the bracket to fit. Then, I'm at a loss as to how to secure the back of the stereo to keep it from bouncing up and down. Some genius at Chrysler came up with a simple solution for both. Two brackets, attached to the head unit. I was doubtful I could reuse them on a radio that is 25+ years newer but it looks like I am lucky. So far it all seems ok. Hopefully more progress tomorrow.
ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

So got a tiny bit done today thanks to having a pile of homework to get done. I figured out the last of the wiring and got two of the 3 sets of RCA cables routed behind the dash. Unfortunately the last set of cables is FUBAR so I have to go to storage tomorrow to see if I have another set. I'll also grab my better speakers and the other amps while I'm there. That way I can start to figure stuff out before starting on the sub enclosures. No idea where I'm going to put all this stuff. Right now, since I'm trying to run what I have on the cheap, I'm planning to run one 4chl amp for the 2 door speakers, a pair of 6x9s, and some tweeters. The rest of my amps are no where near competition quality so I'm going to try and run one amp for each of the two subs. That may change as I get to laying things out due to space but for now, I'm hopeful.
I also slid the head unit in to see if it will clear the dash. Initial test says yes. I may try and space it just a fuzz more out so the face can tilt back a bit more. As it is it appears to miss the dash in the vertical position by half a fuzz.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Well... Head unit is in, yea! I ended up having to use some washers to shim it away from the dash about a 1/4" or so. This way it doesn't touch the dash at all and won't cause issues long term.
All the RCAs have been routed through the dash and towards the back. I'll tackle where the amps etc go next. I also got the little microphone thing for the phone conversation dealEo routed up the drivers A pillar and to a spot it should work. It has like a billion feet of extra wire so I will play with it and see where it works best.
One thing I like about this Pioneer is that when it's off it has no lights, completely dark face. Not gonna stop a thief but maybe it'll be camouflaged enough they pass it by.
I didn't install the dash surround or trim as I still need to do the speedometer lube. Tomorrow I go to storage (if it isn't a blizzard) and get some other things. Progress has been slow but at least it's progress.

Power on:

Display deployed:

Dash clearance:

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

That style dash is almost 21st century design work. I find it curious that some folks think this is a Chrysler thing. AMC produced it in 86.

I recently went for an upgrade myself. Just about anything beats no worky radio.

Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Im happy with its styling, not much bling. I wussed out today since it's snowed and will have to wait for the weekend for more progress.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Interesting design. Went and studied it on the Pioneer site. I have been out of touch with car stereo tech for about 20 years. I always enjoyed the Pioneer Super Tuners. My home stereo is a 1975 Pioneer SX-737 that I bought new at the USAF Exchange store on Johnston Atoll.

Flint Boardman

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

It's fancier than I'll ever use that's for sure. I didn't even bother with the back up camera. I still chuckle over car stereos with a remote (like this one has). Seriously? I can't reach a foot away to do what I need to do?? Lol.
And that hi-fi reminds me of my Harmon Kardon I use to power the garage radio...When I had a garage. Still have the stuff, just need a house to put it in. Loud enough to hear when I'm running air tools or an angle grinder.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

The remote is so you can control the stereo when you're using your car to blast Limp Bizkit in a parking lot at 4 people that want to hear it and 300 people that don't.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

REDONE wrote:The remote is so you can control the stereo when you're using your car to blast Limp Bizkit in a parking lot at 4 people that want to hear it and 300 people that don't.
Hahahahahaha.... So true!!
I like being able to hear my music loud but I've always done it where it doesn't effect others. Nothing worse than being tired and stuck in traffic and having some turd near you who's base is rattling the license plates of all the cars around.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

So after a trip to the pain dr I made a run from COS to Highlands Ranch to bring my buddy his table saw back. Learned a few things from the 2+ hour ride.
First is, while he is still running with what seems like weak power, running high octane seemed to make it a little better. I may add some acetone to the tank and see if it gets even better.
The steering needs more attention. I can feel the play in the new box and am getting about 8"s of travel in the wheel. It runs pretty true but there is slop. I've also noticed a clunk when I turn sharply. Have to check ball joints and TREs. It can't be coming from the sector shaft but maybe the steering box loosened up or something.
I also really enjoy riding in the waggy. I think when I'm done with the stereo it'll be even more fun.
Last lesson learned was something I tried on a whim... I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the cruise control actually works!!!

az chip

Post by az chip »

Shakedown drives are a good thing!

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Interesting day today. Got to sleep in which was nice but meant my day was doomed to minor productivity. Made a trip out to storage to get every bit of stereo stuff I have. Tired of looking for stuff only to realize it's out in the container. Or looking at a pair of speakers and thinking "didn't I have better ones somewhere? So it's all packed in the suburban for now but I will bring it in, lay it all out in the spare bedroom, and make decisions on what stuff goes in which Jeep.
While I was out there I also had a peak on one of the shelves holding some axles and stuff. Remembered I had a spare Dana 44 from an Isuzu rodeo. Unburied it a bit to get to the diff and pulled the cover. Looks like a 4.10 ratio to me.
ImageImage

Its complete from rotor to rotor but I'm not sure what box the calipers are hiding in. I did stumble across a box of brand new brake pads for it.

So now I'm pondering an axle swap for Walter. If I can make it fit without having issues with where the calipers sit in n relation to the leaf springs, this may be the way to go. Better gears, disc brakes, same wheel pattern. I think the width was like 58 inches or so..? Whats a NT grand wagoneer WMS to WMS??
If I can score another set from the junkyard I can have what's needed for the front.
Last thing today was something disgusting. I went to run the Scrambler as I do when I go out there. Open the door and see something laying on the floorboard. Thought it was a snake at first. Turns out, something crawled inside to give birth. Didn't seem to go well and the dead whatever baby and what looked like a pile of guts was left. Found some tracks on the seat but I still don't know what kind of animal it was. Nasty.
ImageImage

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

That thing on the floor is a part of the rodent cats will not eat - spleen and some guts. :D
Flint Boardman

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

I'm glad I'm not in a rush for all this stuff... I can't seem to make a decision on anything anymore. I did get one amp connected temporarily to see what I have and if I'm on the right track. Ran a bunch of alligator clips all over and to one 6x9 speaker and a 12" sub. Well...
It works!
Despite only one sub, no speakers mounted (let alone in an enclosure) I have noise.
Was kinda surprised really, the sub actually made a physical presence in the cabin enough to where I thought I was in the hood. Haha.
Next up is to connect the other 2 amps and make sure the relay feeds all three for the signal on (blue) wire. From there it will be forcing myself to decide what will go where and how. Still contemplating building a new back for the rear seat. I could remove the carpet and build a rack to hold the electronics and maybe a couple 6x9s. Keep the subs in the rear wheel well areas. Just don't want to pull the carpet off the seat without knowing what's there.