Jerry can color

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Grand_Wag_85

Re: Jerry can color

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

ShagWagon wrote:Milk jugs aren't red.
Gas will eat thru milk jugs and most plastic cups...LOL!
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Cheap Hobby wrote:It definitely depends on the state and officer. CA even got it wrong in there official law enforcement suspicious person terrorism training video. They dont even enforce the approved noxxle law after it is bought. In OR they will wait till you have an accident then spend hours nitpicking the scene for every violation they can write you up for, the the ODOT officer will see if there was anything missed.
Enforce what nozzle law? There is no law that says you have to use a special nozzle. The only law is that gas cans that are sold new have to have an evaporation proof nozzle.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Milk jugs around here are polyethylene, the same as every plastic fuel container I've seen. Very different than polystyrene cups.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Ethanol will dissolve ethylene. Methanol and gasoline will not. Buy real gas if you're putting it in milk jugs, which I highly discourage. For legal and safety reasons. :shock:
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Okay fine.

I'll herculiner the inside of the milk jug and paint the outside of the milk jug red, then put a hazmat label, and an air pressure hole, and paper towel holder on it.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Ethylene is a gas, what's that got to do with polyethylene?

So you can't put gas with ethanol in all those DOT approved plastic gas cans?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Would it be legal to have a blue can with a 2" yellow banner stripe with 1.5" red letters GASOLINE?
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Remember when Cheech & Chong used a 50gal galvanized trashcan to carry gas to fill up the Nash metropolitan they borrowed from there neighbor? :mrgreen:
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
prospector

Post by prospector »

It wasn't a Nash Metropolitan, it was a '56 T-Bird, and it wasn't theirs, they had stolen it from their next door neighbor. GEEEEZ. Redone, I mean holy smokes, how could anyone gaff that one up? :funnypost: j/k.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

That reminds me of one I saw on TV when I was a kid. These guys tapped into a gasoline pipeline running under their place and opened a gas station.

They were having gas wars (anyone remember those?) with the guy across the street, undercutting him with gas they stole, probably from his own brand. If I recall right they were transporting it in a truck lined with tarps? I know I remember it sloshing over the sides.

Anyone know what the movie was? Probably not as funny as I seem to remember.
Sic friatur crustulum

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

The El Dorado county S.O. and CHP tend to prey on jeepers heading to and from the Rubicon trail citing them for beadlocks, no mudflaps and incorrectly colored gas cans.
A real revenue generator.
When in doubt, paint em red...it's less money than the fine.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

swampedge

Post by swampedge »

Milk jugs aren't red. LOL. I used them to haul gas in when I was a kid mowing grass. HDPE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You really are judged by the dogs you have!

BCRAWLER

Post by BCRAWLER »

Here in Canada we have the same color codes but never heard of anybody being busted for not adhering to the rules. 20 years ago remember being at the cottage with my buddy when he called there to say he had run out of gas. Went to get him and head to the gas station to get fuel. Neither of us had a gerry can and as it turns out the station didn't either. Bought a jug of windshield wiper fluid and poured in my truck. Refilled it with gas if front of the attendant and off we went. Poured all but the last inch in the tank[fluid still in jug} and all was good. Poured out the remainder to start the campfire later but that went horribly wrong, long story for a later time,LOL.
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky

Topic author
prospector

Post by prospector »

BCRAWLER wrote:Here in Canada we have the same color codes but never heard of anybody being busted for not adhering to the rules. 20 years ago remember being at the cottage with my buddy when he called there to say he had run out of gas. Went to get him and head to the gas station to get fuel. Neither of us had a gerry can and as it turns out the station didn't either. Bought a jug of windshield wiper fluid and poured in my truck. Refilled it with gas if front of the attendant and off we went. Poured all but the last inch in the tank[fluid still in jug} and all was good. Poured out the remainder to start the campfire later but that went horribly wrong, long story for a later time,LOL.
I want to hear the rest of the story, why did it go horribly wrong?

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

I've used a washer fluid jug for gas too, small world. One of the gladiators I had did not have a fuel tank, previous owner had one in the bed we got rid of. So to get it going around the yard I rigged up a fuel line into a washer fluid bottle and zip tied it to something under the hood. When I sold the truck I told the new owner it will drive onto a trailer and explained the tank situation. He shows up hell bent on driving this this truck 120 miles home stopping every other mile to top off the tank. The truck was also locked in 4LO with 40 year old tires and snow chains on and no tail lights or plates...or brakes.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

BCRAWLER

Post by BCRAWLER »

To set up the scene,, we were at a cottage at the lake. In the yard was a fire pit made of cinder blocks. It was u shaped and 3 cinders high by 3 cinders on each wall for length. There was about 5 feet of clearing around the pit. After the sun went down we had put tinder and firewood in the pit. I poured the last of the gas in the pit , perhaps an inch or two of gas on the wood. Realized the only fire source I had on me was a zippo lighter. Not wanting to be that close went looking for some matches. Found some soon after and head to ignite. That is when everything went bad. Dark night with no moon. Threw the lite match in and WHOOSH. The fire ball must have been at least 30 feet tall. Our wives were in the cottage and came out figuring something had exploded from the light show and noise. The fumes from the gas had spread across the lawn and went up with the fireball. I was wearing a tattered pair of jeans standing in the fume area and the ends started to smoulder. The grass was very dry due to lack of rain.The fireball caused the flaming tinder from the pit to launch all over the lawn. Suddenly we had a very large fie to deal with. Grabbed the garden hose and away we went. Buddies wife called the FD and 20 minutes later they showed up, rural area.Fire-hall was less than 5 miles away. Had it mostly under control when they got there. Lost about half the lawn. No tickets but a severe scolding from FD. Legs looked like I had the measles from burns and took a long time to regrow hair. Lawn came in great the following year.Gas is much more explosive than you think. :banghead:
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Wow! I'm sorry but I had to chuckle there. :)
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

prospector wrote:It wasn't a Nash Metropolitan, it was a '56 T-Bird, and it wasn't theirs, they had stolen it from their next door neighbor. GEEEEZ. Redone, I mean holy smokes, how could anyone gaff that one up? :funnypost: j/k.

HAHAHAHA! Aspect Ratio! :lol:

last time I saw that movie, it was on a Quasar brand TV made out of wood! :P
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Don S

Post by Don S »

I used to have to service and sell those Nash Metropolitan in the late 1950s at Battenfeild Motors in Amarillo.
They had a Lucas electrical system. They wouldn't start if it was raining.

Lucky me... it was in the dust bowl days there.. Don S..

BCRAWLER

Post by BCRAWLER »

As I understand, the Nash was the only auto ever manufactured that could pull the front wheels from the factory. From what I was told if you drove it as fast as possible in reverse then jammed into foward it would wheelie. Think that kinda counts as beening able to wheelie.