Where to find Replacement Gas Tank

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Starlight

Where to find Replacement Gas Tank

Post by Starlight »

Hi folks,
Newbe here to an `82 - J10 and the original gas tank looks like swiss cheese. The PO put a tank from a wrecking yard, in the bed but eventually I'd like to put it back to stock. I've seen several reproduction tanks for most years except the 1982. Not sure what's up with that? Just wondered if anyone knew of a source. Or perhaps one from a more recent car/truck that is interchangeable.
Thanks....Deby

whsii

Re: Where to find Replacement Gas Tank

Post by whsii »

I have a poly tank setting in the back yard that came off of a 84 J10. Same as My 80 J10.
It is in Central Kentucky.

I would hate to try to ship a fuel tank. If you can come and get it, it is yours.

Topic author
Starlight

Post by Starlight »

Well I appreciate the offer, but I'm in Idaho. So I doubt I can pick it up. So are you saying that a tank for an 84 J10, will fit my 82? If that's the case, I might be able to buy a reproduction. I find it puzzling however, they don't list the repros. for an 82. Seems strange that if they work on an 82 that they would list 1982 in the listing. Just speculating here. Thanks.

Atla

Post by Atla »

This is really vague, but I'm short for time to fully research it out.

It has something to do with J-Truck tanks fuel sender and/or fuel fill -location- on the gas tank. I have a 1982 also, and both the fuel sender and fuel fills are mounted on the side facing the front of the truck.

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/prod-1147.htm

On the drag down box under 'Choose Your Item' it has a couple options for the 78-79 trucks, including a front fill and side fill. I'd call BJ's and ask them about those.

Really, with some fabrication - anything can be done. I believe a common swap on here is the Bronco Fuel Tank.(Holds more gallons) But I'm not sure of the sender/fill issue on the years.
~Atla. (I'm just here for the pictures)
1983 J-10
2001 TJ

My Build Thread - http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2722

Topic author
Starlight

Post by Starlight »

Thanks Alta. Appreciate ALL the info I can get. At some point I'd really like to get it back to stock, so soaking in everything I can here. I know I can figure out something. You are right about making anything fit. Seems like when I start looking for parts for this thing, all the years are listed except the 1982 model. Seems perfect considering my dumb luck. Thanks again for all you knowledge.
Still looking........

whsii

Post by whsii »

This is my 1980 tank and support.

The tank that I took out of the 84 is an exact copy.

I do not know if the 82 was different, but I would bet is was not.

Knowing what AMC was doing, they would not have changed something that was working and changed it back.

Just my thoughts...

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Looks like my '83 and '82 J10 tanks too. Did BJs show something different?
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Atla

Post by Atla »

BJ's doesn't have the best website or pictures.

Upon closer inspection, they have Three Different pictures you can cycle through. All three mount the Fuel Sender through the top. Looks like what changes is which direction the fill lines attach to the tank.

Example:
~Atla. (I'm just here for the pictures)
1983 J-10
2001 TJ

My Build Thread - http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2722

whsii

Post by whsii »

The beauty of the original Polly J10 tank, is that you can access the sending unit without dropping the tank.

BJ's has a sending unit for the origional.

Again, I have one here, if anyone would want it, come and get it...

Topic author
Starlight

Post by Starlight »

Yes. The 80-88s are the same and not available as a repop. so far. At least not that I have been able to find. PLEASE PLEASE is anyone knows of a source for tanks in that year range, please let me know or post one. I am STILL looking. Yes, 4 years later....Thanks.

Greenmachine

Post by Greenmachine »

I'm using the 79 front fill from BJ's as mine had a big crack. They are close enough to work.. The major difference is the pick up/sending unit is in the top. It's pretty simple to use this tank and you just loose the ability to pull the sending unit without dropping the tank. If you want a factory tank rocklaurence has one for sale in the for sale section and I believe he is willing to ship it. He has bent over backwards finding the cheapest method to ship stuff to me.
1975 Cherokee S factory 360,t-18, 4" hellcreek, slot mags 33" bfg's, performer intake, and Fitech fuel injection.
1980 J10 304, 5 spd, 4" Superlift, 4.88 Gears, 35" Maxxis Big Horns
1961 fc-150 fishing truck (on hold)

Former Air Cav

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I have this one pulled from an '84 Sportside. It looks the same.
I have the mount also
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Sportside- ... N0&vxp=mtr