1966 Thriftside J 3000

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
66stepside

Re: 1966 Thriftside J 3000

Post by 66stepside »

I was finally able to paint both sides of the bed- flat black.

Next on to installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaiserman

Post by Kaiserman »

66stepside wrote:
Man, my old bed is looking pretty good!
1971 J2500 Gladiator Custom-Cab Platform Stake on 126" wb. B350/T18A/D20 D60/D60-3 w/locker 4.10's Ramsey 8klb PTO winch, Day-brook dump. 225/95R16's
1969 J3800 Gladiator 3407Z Camper Truck. B350/T18A/D20 D44/D60-3 w/4.10's
1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400 Mostly Stock
1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0L/AW4 4" lift OEM swing out tire carrier and brushguard

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Kaiserman wrote:
66stepside wrote:
Man, my old bed is looking pretty good!

Yes it is- thanks! I even keep it in the garage now, so she's out of the elements.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

It only took an ungodly amount of time, but I just buttoned up the instal of the bed floor!

It's about time.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

A headlight went out last night, so while I was replacing it, I swapped in a new light, I also swapped in an Amber light in the off road light housing where the pie plates are.

It's not as bright as the clear one, but I'm digging it more. I'll figure out if clear, or yellow works better for night driving next time I take her out at night.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

I never noticed you had a Sidewinder winch on the front. Very cool! That plate that the fairlead sticks through is a nice looking piece. Did you add that plate? New light looks right at home in there.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:I never noticed you had a Sidewinder winch on the front. Very cool! That plate that the fairlead sticks through is a nice looking piece. Did you add that plate? New light looks right at home in there.
I picked that from a forum member in Ellensburg, WA. It was on his dad's Wagoneer, so it came with jeep mounting brackets from the factory install kit. It had all the paperwork to go along with it- even the jeep dealership paperwork.

It came with a plate, but I couldn't find it when I went to install it, so I made a plate based upon what the factory plate look like. I have since found the factory plate, but haven't made the time to put it back on.

Thanks, I like the amber light better- even when off, it looks better. I have yet to try it out at night, though. Yesterday I mostly just cleaned up the shop.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

This followed me home tonight:

A 19 footer, or so, that started life as a travel trailer; it'll be a mobile paint booth, and fabrication center that can be easily vented and heated. I'm researching options on configuring it. No more than 8' overall height, though. I'd like to have it done by next winter.

Topic author
66stepside

1966 Thriftside J 3000

Post by 66stepside »

A balmy 35 degrees and after digging out the snow/ice combo near the fence, I just wrapped up wiring lights on the trailer- I had to add 3' to the harness to cover the length. I put the license plate on it. Now she can park on the street if needed.

I think I'm going to have to sell the little step-side trailer.

Topic author
66stepside

1966 Thriftside J 3000

Post by 66stepside »

The dual axle trailer has electric brakes, so I installed an electric brake controller in the 66 this AM. Now on to the trailer wiring itself. If it all works out, I should be able to test the ebrakes on the trailer by the end of this evening.

Topic author
66stepside

1966 Thriftside J 3000

Post by 66stepside »

She's dialed in and operational. The PO who I bought the trailer off of cut the elect. brake wires off about a foot from axle housing. I ran new wiring from that point forward. I grounded the white wire to the trailer frame, but also continued to run it to the truck and had a quick disconnect to also tie it into grounding it onto the truck frame. The blue brake power wire was simple enough.

Once I hooked up all the wires, I jacked up the trailer and put weight on the brake pedal in the cab and the passenger side trailer brakes worked flawlessly. The driver's side needed a bit of coaxing, but worked as well.

I'm picking up a 15' box van body on President's Day from a wrecking yard with the truck and trailer combo. My bro in law will be riding shotgun.

I'm not sure if I'll slice off the 5' off the trailer frame (roughly a 20' frame), or keep 5' on either end- or split the difference at 2.5, and use that extra space for storage, or for whatever.

This upcoming week I'll take her on a test drive to pick up some wood skids and pallets to help haul the box home safely. I adjusted the controller dial to 6.5, or about 1/2 way to the max of 13. We'll see how that goes.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Whoa. Had to set the dial at 1.0 when she's empty. I ordered a few things off Amazon, but they sent me 2,000 plastic forks instead. I sent those back to their Dist. center. Now it's time to hit up Home D'Pot.

berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

66stepside wrote: but they sent me 2,000 plastic forks instead. I sent those back to their Dist. center.

What!?! No use for those! :D
'47 CJ2A My build
'74 Cherokee S 401/auto My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

berettajeep wrote:
66stepside wrote: but they sent me 2,000 plastic forks instead. I sent those back to their Dist. center.

What!?! No use for those! :D
Haha, no, I'd rather have the jeep parts I did order!

Topic author
66stepside

1966 Thriftside J 3000

Post by 66stepside »

What wild hair got into me!? Sooooo, load up the trailer in the pouring rain and hail, snag a buddy to help and drive 38 miles one way in the 66 and end up at an Idaho wrecking yard in 8" of water, compacted snow and sheets of ice and pot hole central to snag the box van body. They load it on, reload it, and we cinch her down with one strap so I can let the wreckers out (I'm blocking the only way out).

Everyone has now come out to watch the poop show about to happen as I attempt to crawl out of the muck and ice, pop it into to 4wd, granny first and what do you know? She pulled the trailer and box van body like it was nothing. Guys all around where saying stuff like, "holy sh!t, I can't believe it." I was pretty proud right about then.

So I pulled forward and finish strapping the box down and then try to back up- no problem. Done and done. Pull her to the entrance, get out and go pay. Bam. We're on our way.

45 mph all the way home and still raining like crazy, soaking wet. We make it.

Crazy part? Roughly two hours there and back, but to get it from the front street to the back yard by the shop, out of the way- 2 and a half hours! It was TIGHT!

I fed my buddy lunch (Zips Burgers) and my wife made him and his young son dinner, two beers. What a frickin ride!

Just after I snap the pic of the whole thing, I turn around and see this:

Ugh. Inside the office, they say the Widetrack Cherokee chief i saw last time is for sale. Ugh.

Meanwhile, were on the road looking for the dump to clean out the box and the dump is closed (a ton of wet carpet is inside the box). I see this when I go to turn around the truck:

So, all in all, a fun, productive President's Day.

I did see this back in Spokane:

I need one more beer.

Topic author
66stepside

1966 Thriftside J 3000

Post by 66stepside »

I chopped a few feet off the rear of the frame and reattached the bumper today.

Now to move the box back a few feet to better balance the weight distribution. Then lower the box slowly onto the trailer frame. I'll slice into the box floor for the wheels once it's centered and aligned into place.

3.26.17 edit:

I was able to hand Winch the box back to where she'll sit. It will need to be dropped down 10", but I'll have to slice the wheel wells out of the floor first. It was snowing all day- I broke my old Come Along, so I stepped up to an 8K unit to finish the job.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

The floor has been sectioned to clear the dual axles. She narrowly fits in between the tires. Crazy close. So I'll have to figure something out before I tote it around.

After a fun time strategically slicing the trailer frame's cross members, the box is now flush with frame- a 10" drop.

Now on to the dump after I load up all the soggy 1/2 frozen carpet and padding remnants I took out of the box.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

340 lbs of frozen carpet, and about 150 lbs of ice off the top of the trailer and it's centered and welded to the frame- I'll button up the final welding later.
The wheel wells have been widened to as far as they can go- I'm not sure if the wheels can come off easily the way it is, or not. I'll double check later- as of now it's closer to the fence, and if need be, I'll cut wheel wells all the way through.

We're loading her up to clear the way for a concrete floor over Spring Break. Afterwards, I'll get back on it- and on the 62.

Topic author
66stepside

1966 Thriftside J 3000

Post by 66stepside »

In keeping with the theme; I have 9 yards of gravel to lay down as site prep for the incoming shop floor.
ImageImage

I had to explain to the rental guys what a jeep 3/4 truck was. Hahahaha.

So on to the back fill process. While I am waiting on the gravel, I'm practicing with the skid steer. I've ran fork lifts, but never a skid steer. Should be fun?

Edit:

You can see the flooded water mark stains all across the gravel floor unevenly- which is why I am finally getting concrete. Thank god for a savings account. I just hate to see it drain.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

A Zen Rock Garden?

Rebar in the foreground goes in next, after I run some lines to make sure I've got an even surface and a reasonable drainage grade.