What's this actually called?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

What's this actually called?

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

So I noticed while looking at the wife's 91 waggy that this thing was broken. Upon closer inspection it was "fixed" before by some PO. What's it actually called and can it go away? I plan to remove all the emissions stuff except the cat when we put the fuel injection on. Does anyone have a good thread showing what can be removed, how to plug the exhaust where the air tubes go, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REDONE

Re: What's this actually called?

Post by REDONE »

AIR injection check valve. I have to admit, the go for about $30 and that's stupid expensive for what it is. However, without it the AIR injection system doesn't work and exhaust blows out the tubes.

I think I got a spare, come on up to Lakewood and I'll give you it. ;)
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

REDONE wrote:AIR injection check valve. I have to admit, the go for about $30 and that's stupid expensive for what it is. However, without it the AIR injection system doesn't work and exhaust blows out the tubes.

I think I got a spare, come on up to Lakewood and I'll give you it. ;)
Thanks brotha. I may have a good one on the "spare" motor in storage.We have a week before the wife turns in her VW. Once it's gone we will use the money from that fiasco to get her waggy daily reliable. Going with a Hamilton FI. Planning to pull all that AIR injection/smog stuff off in the hopes the FI will make the motor run better and cleaner than the complicated, dry rotted, factory stuff.
I'm thinking to pull the air tubes off the manifolds and use a plug (bolt?) to keep them from leaking.
I know a lot of the vac lines, air lines, and tubing in general are pretty FUBAR. If I can remove most of it so I can have a cleaner, easy to work on engine compartment, I'll be much happier. Is it wrong to think that modern FI, a new Cat, and proper tuning is more effective for emissions than the factory stuff from almost 30 years ago?

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

Bill should include all the information you need on what to keep and what to toss. Can't remember where you live, just make sure you can delete and stay legal. Theoretically the engine will run cleaner with the new technology. Have to remember it is a new dress on an old engine so it will only help so much.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:that fiasco
That is my exact experience form owning a VW a few years ago.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Cheap Hobby wrote:Bill should include all the information you need on what to keep and what to toss. Can't remember where you live, just make sure you can delete and stay legal. Theoretically the engine will run cleaner with the new technology. Have to remember it is a new dress on an old engine so it will only help so much.
Thanks for that info. We are in El Paso Co, Colorado so no inspections. I won't throw all the stuff away as I know it's getting hard to find but I hate opening the hood and seeing a plate of spaghetti. Most of those lines are dry rotted and crumbling. I figure in a year or two we will rebuild the motor with a better cam, oil fix, etc. but for now, I just want it simple and reliable. And getting rid of all that junk may keep it from catching on fire. Lol.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Charles Kline wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:that fiasco
That is my exact experience form owning a VW a few years ago.
Yeah, this diesel turn in has sucked. I'll be glad when it's behind us.