Brake Bleeding

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
ClovisMan

Brake Bleeding

Post by ClovisMan »

This is a retarded question I'm sure. I have an 88 GW. The front axle is a 79 vintage FORD HP 44 with Disc. The rear is a drum brake Corp 14 bolt. I went to try and bleed the brakes the other day and started with the rear. On the driver's side rear, I opened the bleeder after being pumped and fluid shot out. Okay great, its working. Went to the passenger side and opened the bleeder and nothing...nada...no fluid. Both fronts work as well. The line in question is not kinked or anything weird like that. What else could cause this? Both rears come to T with a steel braided line so If there was something funky with the lines I would guess neither rear would work. wheel cylinder maybe?
88 Grand Wagoneer - The Money Pit - 360/727/NP208 - SOA/SF - Lots of other stuff SOLD
78 Cherokee Chief - Copper - 360/TH400/Quadratrac - 4 inch BDS lift - 33 inch tires SOLD

SJTD

Re: Brake Bleeding

Post by SJTD »

I'd start by taking the bleed screw out and looking in the hole for rust.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

memo43

Post by memo43 »

I had the same issue on mine chero, left rear tire. the culprit was the junction block that was clogged.
I took it apart and blew air through it, replaced all bleeder with speed bleeders.
use a vacuum pump to bleed an no issues since.
hope this helps
US Marine
79 Jeep Cherokee
360/TH400/Full time TC
Dolphin gauges
GM style HEI
Power windows
Serehill tailgate and headlight harness

"My jeep has no manners it
marks every parking spot"

letank

Post by letank »

x2 as above

Same on the 74, I started with the vacuum method, and nothing was coming out of the rear passenger side. So I went to the foot method and the extension hose submerged into brake fluid, and the 2x4 under the brake pedal to avoid the area that is never used on the MC to prevent MC seal destruction. It took 3 press to obtain a flow ... sorry it is in french, I was doing it for a friend abroad, but has subtitles

https://youtu.be/LAg5b1ulmIk
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)