1976 Cherokee Vacuum System

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
savagess2546

1976 Cherokee Vacuum System

Post by savagess2546 »

I'm kind of at a loss.

I found a diverter valve to replace my broken one. (Not oem but it does the exact same thing).

Found out one of the previous owners took the EGR CTO out and put a coolant temp sensor in instead to run an aftermarket coolant guage. Whatever but now I can't find a CTO for my year Jeep. This is if I'm correct in the location of the CTO.

Also I can't find any vacuum diagrams that seem to fit my Jeep. They all have extra stuff or parts the hoses are connecting to are in different spots on the engine. Did the intake manifold for Cali have a different layout?

1976 Jeep Cherokee with AMC 401.

I guess my big questions are: Where does the diverter valve vacuum source connect to? Where do the hoses on the airbox connect to? Is the EGR CTO on top of the thermostat housing?

Thinks backfiring like a mother since connecting the vacuum tubing so I assume something is connected wrong.

Maybe one of you guys has a more accurate vacuum diagram. The only switch I appear to have on my engine is a linear switch valve. Doesn't appear to be a spark cto.

Thanks in advance for the help.
1976 Cherokee Chief - AMC 401, Carter Comp Series Carb, Dana 44 front and rear, Quadratec t-case with low-range

tgreese

Re: 1976 Cherokee Vacuum System

Post by tgreese »

There won't be a consolidated vacuum diagram for a 1976. The first year for such a thing in the manual is 1978 or 1979. Instead, each system has a diagram that shows how its connected, and there is a table in the TSM that shows which systems apply to your Jeep. Have you consulted the TSM? It's free to read or download here http://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html The systems for a '76 are pretty simple, in comparison to later years. Just connect the devices that need manifold vacuum to a manifold vacuum source (coming out of the manifold typically), and those that need ported vacuum to the ported vacuum source (carburetor base typically).
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Re: 1976 Cherokee Vacuum System

Post by letank »

CTO are Jeep name for what other car maker called Thermal Vacuum Switch, TVS. Most auto part store carries those, here is a good reference chart with parts numbers

http://drbob.tqhosting.com/tech/cto.html
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)