Question about Dealership options

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
jeepinjake

Question about Dealership options

Post by jeepinjake »

Back again! Wondering what the options for a Cherokee were in 1974-1983.

My 1977 Cherokee Chief has a thing called Travel Tanks. IMO it is super dumb and of inferior design, but I'll keep it... They welded it and cut a small piece out of the FRAME to remove the trailer hitch.. Anyways, wondering if this was a dealership option? It is really old..

Mahalo!
1977 Cherokee Chief
- 360/2bbl carb
- Travel Tanks addon

fulsizjeep

Re: Question about Dealership options

Post by fulsizjeep »

Doubtful that it is a dealership thing but what ever it takes to sell a Jeep...
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
jeepinjake

Post by jeepinjake »

fulsizjeep wrote:Doubtful that it is a dealership thing but what ever it takes to sell a Jeep...
Right, well I really want to believe the part they cut wasn't apart of the frame. Looks like bracket or something. I'll take a picture and post it here or make another post. The cut is about the size of a computer mouse. Think it's a bummer?
1977 Cherokee Chief
- 360/2bbl carb
- Travel Tanks addon

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Pictures would help. There have been after market gas tank options for FSJs for a long time but I have never heard of having to trim the frame to make any of them fit.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Depending on the height of the tank, whomever installed it likely cut the diagonal frame to crossmember braces. The aftermarket tank makers designed theirs to fit without cutting the frame as this was, even then a liability issue. The Aero I have has tabs on all four sides for mounting and the front and rear tabs mount to the original tire carrier mounting brackets.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

Travel Tanks was an after market vendor that made universal saddle tanks and single tanks. You pretty much bought by size to fit the space you had. They were field installed options for some vehicles. Any one could buy and install them. You order from JC Whitney. So cutting the frame is not a surprise.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.