door locks

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
comet the dog

door locks

Post by comet the dog »

What's the deal. Of my three jeeps none of the door locks work properly save for the lock on the manu as l tailgate. Some don't work at all (won't move) others are very stiff, and the fronts I'm afraid I'm going to break a key. I've cleaned them on my wife's 88 waggy, lubed the mechanical parts that move but still have problems. The electric door locks lock the 88 but won't unlock the doors. Sillynoids work when disconned from the door lock. What else can I do?

ShagWagon

Re: door locks

Post by ShagWagon »

Check the springs on the latches.

Where they attach they can come loose/broken tabs and get caught between the base and the latching mechanism. One side stays seated while the rest of the spring gets wedged between the mechanism.

I just completely just went through my doors and put a new spring kit in them from BJs. My driver one was so loose it would lock me out. When I put in the springs they were very very stiff. When I replaced them, the other ones were still attached but sheared and Wedged between the base and was stiff and caked full of dried lube and dirt and pieces of the remaining springs.

Kinda a bich to take out if you by yourself as you have to actuate the handle at the same time to release tension of the link rod to the lock mechanism from the handle. Woulda been 10x easier if I had someone to pull the handle for me. Not too bad a job to remove the lock mechanism totally and get it real clean and adjust or replace the springs.

Also I noticed the new springs were so stiff I didn't want to install them because I didn't want to break off a key. You may have had PO install these springs and they may be giving you troubles till they wear in.

Either way, you'll have to remove them if you can't get them by reaching grease and spray onto them and getting them to work freely. Means that something is stuck in there and needs some vice work.

Hope it helps
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

So there are springs in there ? My drivers so door always locks me out lol good thing i have 2 spares and one in a magnet under the Jeep. its kinda anoying how weak the lock is.. It just falls down when i close the door

Also none of the door locks work going up. Maybe 1, then go down fine. I can hear them trying to go up but they dont move.. Any idea ?

Sorry to post in this thread but since its for the locks i figured i wou;d
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

These are the springs:
http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Door-Lock-Spr ... p_153.html

Also, you might check your voltage. I think that's my issue. I cleaned, lubed and re-sprung my lock with no improvement. Then I checked voltage at the lock and I'm only getting 8 volts. I think there just isn't enough juice to push the lock back up.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb