Thanksgiving In The Desert

FSJ Related Events in the Mountain Time Zone

will e

Re: Thanksgiving In The Desert

Post by will e »

78 Arizona Chief wrote:The family and I are in. I would be up for wheeling and camping too. Gotta get the old girl outta 'storage' and get the Stabil out of her tank. Been hibernating in the garage since late May. Been a dang hot summer here!
Kevin, Kristen, Cayden and Ryan.
Okay so does that make at least two of us for a Friday run? :) That's the minimum I need.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

motcat

Post by motcat »

I'm in on Friday if I get all the work done.
- John (aka JR)
78 Chief Dad bought new in Kenosha WI, 401, RV cam, Part time kit, Edelbrock+Holly 600, DUI, 3" Rancho, Skyjackers, Crossflow rad, Rust, rust, rust
78 J10 Bob's (Becca's) old J-Truck, Tired 360, Tired TH400, Tired QT, Just really tired, but keeps on runnin

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Not sure about Friday yet but I would sure like to run a trail this year
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I'm in on Friday. What day were you guys planning to run a trail? Does every one typically head out on Sunday?

Hopefully no one minds, but I'm going to put this here so I can't lose it like I did my last route.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39.7140 ... 473117!3e0
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

will e

Post by will e »

In the past most everyone showed up on Saturday. We sometimes would make a quick run down to the river since it is close. Some people go home after dinner on Saturday but a large number of people stay the night and camp. I will be staying the night.

If we do a wheeling trip on Friday my guess is we will arrive pretty early on Friday and 'claim' the camping spot by putting up some tents and such.
Depending on how fast the river is flowing we can shoot across and take the coke oven trail over to box canyon and then back out or ?? It's just going to depend on the river, the timing, the weather and the rigs.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

78 Arizona Chief

Post by 78 Arizona Chief »

Now I don't wanna be 'sinkin' in that Gila again. Remember how deep I got in that darn mud?

I sure am looking forward to this.
Kevin
1978 Cherokee Chief: Parents bought new. 360/TH400/NOS Quadratrac, 44's/ARB's/4.10's, SOA, Shackle Flip, Alcan Springs, FOX 2.0's, 35" BFG KM2s, custom bumpers, 324,000 miles and counting...

will e

Post by will e »

78 Arizona Chief wrote:Now I don't wanna be 'sinkin' in that Gila again. Remember how deep I got in that darn mud?
I do. Was it your or your brother that broke a hub or short shaft? Now that I know you better I am surprised you actually went muddin'. ;)

78 Arizona Chief

Post by 78 Arizona Chief »

nope, it was me. I didn't want to bury it in mud, it just happened. Won't happen again. Nick laid his jeep in that hole, then broke the main leaf and took out his front driveshaft, front brake line and such. Then dad had the heart attack. Long weekend that was.

Lookin forward to this. Heater core blew on me. Got the fiberglass box and fan out, gonna install a metal box that I got from Jerry. Getting it sandblasted tomorrow. Then new core, new GM Delco motor and I got heat again. Oh wait, it's 102 outside. Never said I was smart!
Kevin
1978 Cherokee Chief: Parents bought new. 360/TH400/NOS Quadratrac, 44's/ARB's/4.10's, SOA, Shackle Flip, Alcan Springs, FOX 2.0's, 35" BFG KM2s, custom bumpers, 324,000 miles and counting...

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

So, Justin is pulling me to go again this year. If he actually studies and passes his permit test, this could be his first wheeling trip as driver... :shock:
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Yeaahhh Justin :fsj: :fsj: :-bd
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

sfriend

Post by sfriend »

If you folks don't mind a new person, we are thinking we might tag along. How much dirt road is it to t he camp area and what is it like. We usually take the motorhome and will be dragging the Chief on a trailer. The MH is 34' diesel. We would be out there before T day and leave Sunday to Monday. What is the wheel'n like? This would be first with the Chief. I would leave the JK home. What is the area called. We wheel'n right out of Florance Junction a lot of years ago taking Martinez trail, Axle alley, etc. That was in the CJ though.
Steve

will e

Post by will e »

sfriend wrote:If you folks don't mind a new person, we are thinking we might tag along. How much dirt road is it to t he camp area and what is it like. We usually take the motorhome and will be dragging the Chief on a trailer. The MH is 34' diesel. We would be out there before T day and leave Sunday to Monday. What is the wheel'n like? This would be first with the Chief. I would leave the JK home. What is the area called. We wheel'n right out of Florance Junction a lot of years ago taking Martinez trail, Axle alley, etc. That was in the CJ though.
Steve
Hey, Start on this page for some pics of last year, go to the end and you will see some of the trailers that were drug out.

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... g&start=80

If I remember correctly there are a couple of areas that a 34' might struggle with due to it's length. But you can always camp in as far as you can and then come the rest of the way in the Cherokee.

Curly

Post by Curly »

I drove my 2wd Tahoe pulling my 18' camper, road was fine. The wash was a bit soft but I got in and out no problem.
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler

az chip

Post by az chip »

We would be out there before T day and leave Sunday to Monday
sfriend, Thanksgiving in the desert is not on Thanksgiving Thursday. It is the weekend before. Check dates. :fsj:
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Got my tires ordered! So the last hurtle has been crossed. Assuming I've got a job to save up gas money I will be there!

motcat

Post by motcat »

Awesome! Looking forward to meeting up with you.
- John (aka JR)
78 Chief Dad bought new in Kenosha WI, 401, RV cam, Part time kit, Edelbrock+Holly 600, DUI, 3" Rancho, Skyjackers, Crossflow rad, Rust, rust, rust
78 J10 Bob's (Becca's) old J-Truck, Tired 360, Tired TH400, Tired QT, Just really tired, but keeps on runnin

will e

Post by will e »

Sixty days until the early birds Friday.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Alright, I'm not making the trip in a FSJ but dangit I'm going to be there! Anybody want a set of drivers drop J20 axles?

will e

Post by will e »

My work may have me traveling the week before the meet. I might not be able to make Friday for early wheeling. It's still up in the air. I am hoping they don't decide on that week. It's international so hopefully I would be able to get back in time for Saturday. fingers crossed.

will e

Post by will e »

Good news, looks like the travel budget is cut and it is less likely I will trave international.