1983 J10 - Emission controls missing

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
AMCer

1983 J10 - Emission controls missing

Post by AMCer »

So the J10 that I bought, someone has removed all of the emission controls stuff. I've got vacuum lines everywhere that just end and the 258 runs poorly.

It's carbureted but it looks like it has an ECM. Any ideas of what vacuum lines to plug and what to connect where to get it to run better without having to buy $1000 worth of hard to find emissions parts?

tgreese

Re: 1983 J10 - Emission controls missing

Post by tgreese »

What's your location? Do you need to pass any emissions tests or visual inspections?

First thing I would do is assess the condition of the engine. Compression and oil pressure are basic tests. Look at the spark plugs. Replace the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. Basic stuff. Plug any vacuum leaks.

The original carburetor is a Carter BBD, and it seems universally hated. It has an electronic component, a stepper motor that is controlled by an electronic module. If you want to keep this stuff, look at the '82 factory manual (TSM) at http://www.oljeep.com - the '82 will be pretty close to what you have. There are some systems that you may want to keep - do your homework and figure this out. This is way too large a topic to cover in a single reply here.

many convert to the Motorcraft 2-barrel as a replacement carburetor for the BBD. There are lots of articles online about replacing most of this stuff with fuel injection. For your thousand dollars, you are most of the way to a bolt-on fuel injection conversion kit.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
AMCer

Post by AMCer »

No emissions tests to pass so I'm good there.

Do you (off the top of your head) know the Motorcraft carb model number?

I can swap carbs, no problem. What I'm a little worried about is the AMC electronic ignition. Can I just swap carbs and keep the old ignition system?

The compression is crap (about 90psi) but, I got it running. I want to pull the heads off and have them re-done but, ATM, I just need it to run enough so that I can drive it around a little and NOT have the county on my butt for having an "inoperable" vehicle in my driveway (F you Henrico county).

It drives now, just barely. I'll take some pictures and post them.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

2100 or 2150. There's a guy on eBay that sells complete kits - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcraft-2100 ... 5EqJ9PBpqQ I hear these carbs are getting scarce in the yards, so that might be the best route to getting a good one.

You mean the ignition or the ECM? The ignition should tune up just like a points ignition, except no dwell to set. If it's broken, it typically won't work at all. See below to separate the ECM from the ignition.

Look online for "Nutter bypass" that will disable the ECM and stepper motor. http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/electr ... gnition99/ Then cap off all the devices and connect manifold vacuum to the distributor advance. Unless I'm overlooking something, it should run at that point. The BBD also has problems with dying at idle - this might help http://www.jeeptech.com/engine/carter.html
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

UZI4U

Post by UZI4U »

If you really want to get it squared away, look for a technical service manual. I scored mine on ebay and it paid for itself alone with the wiring schematics.