AMC muscle car??

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Tatsadasayago

Re: AMC muscle car??

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Tatsadasayago wrote:
MidTNJasonF wrote:I had a 1968 chrysler 300, now that was a full size car. You opened the back door, walked in, found a seat on the couch and put your feet up in that car.
Yep! And there was acres of trunk space for Beer, Wimmins and shotguns...necessities for the open road!

"Got me a Chrysler, big as a whale and it's about to set sail" ~The B-52s"
What were we talking about again? Oh yeah Hornets...
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

DarkMonohue wrote:
Stuka wrote:Also, Chevelles and Chargers are midize, not fullsize. Full-size cars are not, by my definition, strictly "muscle cars". Not even if they are wicked-fast and stupid-rare.
The '69 Charger had a 117" wheelbase, thats almost the same length as my truck. A '69 Mustang for comparison had a 108" wheelbase.

BTW: Moving this to general chat, since its more of a conversation than a sales post. And really should have been posted in outside postings anyway.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I need me a big old 122" wheelbase 1972 ambassador. Preferably a police special, but not just any old patrol car. A Brougham police special. In Black with the big metal bowling ball in the trunk that was supposed to help handling. Add to that a rip snorting 10:1 401, GV overdrive, 4:10 dual grip rear end, and a big old whip antenna mounted behind the rear window.

I missed out on the chance to by a Brougham police special in gold up in Wyoming last year. It will forever be my white whale.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I've been told the AMX was the pony that could handle. But shoot, no one has let me verify for myself yet.

I will say this, my Cherokee handles way way better than a Blazer or Bronco of the era. I can go irresponsibly fast around corners. It was a riot with the minivan tires once they got bald. I hit a wet patch poweing through a corner on berthoud pass and was rewarded with a downshift, smoking tires, and a 4 wheel slide around the rest of the corner. I slowed down after that.

Now it's got so much tire I don't dare drive like that. I can't get it to fishtail even on dirt. Where's the fun in that?

The 91 handles dangerously well for what it is. With a broken speedometer and bald petrified BFG ATs I did Monarch pass in under 45 minutes in the dark without pushing it really hard. According to my chase vehicle I was doing 75-80 on the straight sections. And way to fast in the corners. If it had let go even a little I would have been screwed big time. I had no idea I was going so fast (the way we were passing people made me suspicious).

I got to poncha springs, checked my watch, and made a phone call to Wyatt in the chase truck to ask how fast I was going. Wyatt said 78, the Wagoneer said 55. Whoops. At 60 on the broken speedometer I was doing 83. At 65... I'm not willing to disclose that here. Poncha springs to Buena Vista took a whopping 18 minutes. 2.73 gears scoot man.

Hornet's are cool too. I don't think AMC made a car I wouldn't own. And I'm picky.

Has anyone played around with one of those AMC 4 cylinders? Ive been thinking that would be fun in the MGB. That or an Buick V6.

Enough rambling from me for the night. Anyone want to trade an MGB GT for a small AMC car?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Nikkormat wrote:I've been told the AMX was the pony that could handle. But shoot, no one has let me verify for myself yet.

I will say this, my Cherokee handles way way better than a Blazer or Bronco of the era. I can go irresponsibly fast around corners. It was a riot with the minivan tires once they got bald. I hit a wet patch poweing through a corner on berthoud pass and was rewarded with a downshift, smoking tires, and a 4 wheel slide around the rest of the corner. I slowed down after that.

Now it's got so much tire I don't dare drive like that. I can't get it to fishtail even on dirt. Where's the fun in that?

The 91 handles dangerously well for what it is. With a broken speedometer and bald petrified BFG ATs I did Monarch pass in under 45 minutes in the dark without pushing it really hard. According to my chase vehicle I was doing 75-80 on the straight sections. And way to fast in the corners. If it had let go even a little I would have been screwed big time. I had no idea I was going so fast (the way we were passing people made me suspicious).

I got to poncha springs, checked my watch, and made a phone call to Wyatt in the chase truck to ask how fast I was going. Wyatt said 78, the Wagoneer said 55. Whoops. At 60 on the broken speedometer I was doing 83. At 65... I'm not willing to disclose that here. Poncha springs to Buena Vista took a whopping 18 minutes. 2.73 gears scoot man.

Hornet's are cool too. I don't think AMC made a car I wouldn't own. And I'm picky.

Has anyone played around with one of those AMC 4 cylinders? Ive been thinking that would be fun in the MGB. That or an Buick V6.

Enough rambling from me for the night. Anyone want to trade an MGB GT for a small AMC car?
The only 4cyl that AMC actually developed was the 2.5L used in Jeeps from 84 up through 2002 (As a chrysler powertech). It has ok torque, but would NOT be the engine you want in an MGB. The MGB needs a proper high revving 4cyl. Ford zetecs are popular swap options.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

haha! The 2.5L "Iron Duke" was designed by Pontiac and bought by AMC then passed to Chrysler. Stuka is dead on, It's NOT a fast 4banger, it's a tiny tractor motor.

EDIT>> I wiki'd the iron duke and Stuka is right, in the 80s AMC dropped the pontiac for a 2.5 they made by chopping 2 holes off the 258.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I was looking at the later AMC 2.5, not the iron Duke.

The 2.4 Lima is a cool swap, I forgot about it last night.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I had the 2.5 in an 84 xj (AMC still called it the iron duke), and it's a little tractor motor. If you want a screamer I don't think you can beat a buick v-6. It's good enough for formula one.
Grizzly Locker Rear

derf

Post by derf »

I'd equate the Hornet to the Chevy Nova. A smaller car but with the option for a hopped up small block.

The Rebel was in the muscle car class along with the other mid size cars of its day like the Chevelle, GTO, Cutlass/442, Skylark, etc.

Sure, AMC didn't technically have a big block but the 390/401 was no slouch when you checked all the right boxes. And the SC/360 Hornet would surprise a lot of people.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

DarkMonohue

Post by DarkMonohue »

REDONE wrote:For every rule, an exception :D :
Crud! Forgot about that one. The CL ad was down by the time I got to it. Was that an SC/360 or just a run of the mill 6cyl leftover nothinburger?
'85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles. Not great, but better than nothing at all.
High quality dumb stuff in the intro thread and the slow build thread
Prospect, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Bad Company, 360th Misfire Regiment, 161st Haiku Assault Division

Tech Tip: there is no apostrophe in Willys. The more you know...

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I didn't get to see the ad in the OP either. I'm assuming it was diarrhea brown four door 6cyl with an TF904 though. :lol:
Grizzly Locker Rear

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

No doubt opinions are in the eye of the beholder. I had a Gremlin X 390 4 speed back in the70's it did everything terribly a muscle car was supposed to do & did everything well a muscle car was supposed to do. The real truth not an opinion is tell the cars it outran they just got drug by a non muscle car. :shock: :lol: :x :P :(

AMC didn't have a Muscle car?? I guess you had to be there. The Gremlin X had the quintessential Muscle car requisite. Horsepower to weight ratio. With a little bit of performance parts it was the fastest AMC on the street at the time. They were as much a part of the street stock drag strip car as anything else. Not as many out they were but they always there. Not quite the cool factor but they were fast enough. They had the sleeper factor tied up though. Nothing more fun that seeing a big three muscle car guys face being drug by one. In the world where muscle cars survived they were an entity.
My opinion is that they did make a muscle car.

But then I classify a Z28 & Boss 302 as a muscle car. I didn't get the memo on it was a Big block only club. Seeing the dodge dart swinger 4 speed busting the big blocks was more of a muscle car to me than the big blocks.
Last edited by serehill on Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

serehill wrote:Muscle car requisite. Horse power to weight ratio.
I always thought that was the definition. Something like 1hp:1lb="muscle car", 2:1="supercar", or something like that.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Nikkormat-Those speeds on Monarch Pass in an FSJ is downright scary :p

I had one of the later AMX's: 78 Concord 'AMX' with the 304/Auto. Fun little car but gutless. The 304 desperately needed one of its bigger brothers under the hood. :D
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Yeppers A 304 Meant you could drive it on the floor. In a school zone. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Grand_Wag_85 wrote:Nikkormat-Those speeds on Monarch Pass in an FSJ is downright scary :p
You don't need to tell me! That's a night I will never forget. :fsj:

I swear I had no idea, it just chugged right up and over. I was going pretty easy on it too as I didn't know how sound it was mechanically.

Remind me and I'll tell you the backstory on that whole mess in Ouray.

Post by 243 »

REDONE wrote:haha! The 2.5L "Iron Duke" was designed by Pontiac and bought by AMC then passed to Chrysler. Stuka is dead on, It's NOT a fast 4banger, it's a tiny tractor motor.

EDIT>> I wiki'd the iron duke and Stuka is right, in the 80s AMC dropped the pontiac for a 2.5 they made by chopping 2 holes off the 258.

More like Flaccid Penis than Iron Duke, the 151 c.i. 2.5L in my 83, also used in the Chevy Citation was a gutless POS.

I do like the design (crossflow head) and maybe, just maybe with a cam, ported and polished head, port matched intake and header and FI it might be tolerable in a CJ5.
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

The 'Duke' could be made into a little monster with the right work done to it.
The roundy-round Compact class racers used them to compete against the Ford 2300s and did very well back in the day.
Besides being gutless stock, my biggest issue with them was the #1 bore excessive asymmetrical taper due to it being next to where the coolant came in from the radiator. The Ford 300 and GM 292 inline sixes had similar problems.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I think the duke is pretty for an economy motor. A-symmetrical valve cover, crossflow, smooth castings.

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

243 wrote:
More like Flaccid Penis
:funnypost:

HAHAHA!
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!