Steering play

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
inverted3600

Steering play

Post by inverted3600 »

Hi Guys, I just got my brand new 1989 GW yesterday and put some miles on it today. WOW! It's so great to be back! Ok, so the steering has kind of a looseness going down the road. It's like I get the wheel a bit to the left and then I'd better do a little bit of right and then do the left, etc. You get the point. I must constantly 'drive' with both hands on the wheel. Is this something that can be tightened up or do I just have to learn to live with it?
1989 Grand Wagoneer
2014 Mercedes Benz E-350 coupe
2012 Chevy Malibu (I helped build in KC, Kansas .... then I moved to Bowling Green)
1 and 1/2 1967 Jeepster Commando. One to drive and one for parts.
Jeeps from before now:
1987 Grand Wagoneer (used)
1985 Grand Wagoneer (used)
1986 Full size Jeep J-10 Pickup (bought new)
Last but not least:
1984 Super Decathlon (see picture to the left)

FSJ Guy

Re: Steering play

Post by FSJ Guy »

You can adjust the steering box to be tighter, but 1 inch of play, measured at the circumference of the steering wheel, either way is fairly normal IMHO.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

Do you have loose steering or wandering waggie?could be a bit of both. Play in the steering wheel is pretty much a given and can made worse by bad tres and ball joints. I would check everything. In the steering system and start gathering parts then do it in one shot.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Congrats on another FSJ find!
I remember a batch of early production 89s coming off the car carrier in Reno that wandered like you describe. It was determined that the main cause was weak frame rails that were 'twisting' while driving, even at lower speeds.
A few months later the problem was fixed...but there were many out there with the problem and Jeep's official solution was to add stiffer track bar bushings and ignore the rest.
It's possible yours just has worn components or it could be the other.

My 76 did the same thing and it turned out to be finger-tight front axle U-Bolts.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

miltos68wgoneer

Post by miltos68wgoneer »

I have the same issue for me it looks like the frame is flexing. Also there was a crack in my bracket that was hidden under crud.
68 WAGONEER / 5.3l, DIY ported heads, long tube headers, lingenfelter cam, griffin rad, trans cooler, E fan /4l70e, front discs,2003 grand cherokee seats front and rear, super wagoneer center console,hydroboost.
53 CHEVY 210 stock

http://s64.photobucket.com/user/miltos6 ... t=3&page=1