Vent Window

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
ArchitectJS

Vent Window

Post by ArchitectJS »

The window on the left is my original vent window. The loose glass is a replacement i got from another member. I never considered that the frame around the glass might be different.

Any reason to think this will cause any seal/leak issues? I have all new rubber gaskets and seals from BJs to rebuild the doors... I can't imagine it does, given there is only one set of seals to buy. I appreciate any feedback...
1982 Cherokee, base (Bumppo)
AMC 258 / A727 - AMC 20 / NP208
Holley Sniper with Hyperspark
3" Rough County Lift

Tatsadasayago

Re: Vent Window

Post by Tatsadasayago »

As far as I know, the glass shape remained unchanged. The metal trim was added then removed over the years and the fitment in this case may be a problem. You can drive the locking lever roll-pin out and remove the metal trim easily enough then use your existing one.

The later glass seals were designed to press against it creating the water seal. You can test this after assembly by squirting the glass with water or Windex, closing the vent and visualizing the dark areas (Sealed) with the lighter ones. (Not sealed)
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

When i say frame i meanthe chrome around the glass. Mine is rusted hence the replacement. My question was about the v ariance in chrome trim.

m going do my due diligence however, BJs only offers one set of gaskets regardless of what style of vent you have. I have to believe it will be fine. I just wonder if anybody had any direct experience.
3" Rough County Lift

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Should be OK. Mine is your new style and leaks air down at the corner where the metal meets the glass with the factory seal in good shape.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

That hook end of the metal trim will create a gap at the seal most times. There is about a .120" difference between the chromed metal piece and the glass that the available seals can't seal up. The original seals had a step to accommodate the gap if I remember correctly.

Under normal conditions this won't be much of a problem for moisture unless it it striking the area from below. You will also get a nice wind whistle from that area when at higher speeds.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

That's interesting, a step in the gasket. That's what I wanted to know.
3" Rough County Lift

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I'm fairly certain mine doesn't have a step, and I'm fairly certain their original. However I could be wrong. I cahlk the wind whistle up to character. If I fixed it I'd probably miss it shortly after wards.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

If I get to the point thatim doing 65 mph in this thing, I'll live with the whstle
3" Rough County Lift

Topic author
ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

The new gasket has a hole that the J-hook or the newer style hinge slips thru. Should be fine either way.

Now to rivet it all back together
3" Rough County Lift

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

how much of a pain was this replacement process? I have come to realize mine are not only shot on the outside, but leak too.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Topic author
ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

That's how I got started on this- window track was rusted out and laying in the bottom of the door. a closer look revealed all the gaskets had turned to bakelite and leaked like a sieve.

taking everything apart was easy - :D

I fit everything back together and it appears that it will go together fairly easily. The hassle is getting it all riveted back together - just tedious, not hard. You'll need the GM blind vent rivets and setting tool. You can find it in another thread here. The other thread talks about using a piece of steel you can fit into the division bar to rivet against. I still need to do similar

Also, when you buy new division bar kits from BJs, realize there is still a piece of chrome from your Jeep that needs to be retained; the piece that the mounting brackets are attached to. Don't bugger it up removing the old rivets and bits.
3" Rough County Lift

Topic author
ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

As a follow up:

The seals from BJs appear to be best suited for the newer style vent windows; with the full length chrome edge frame and riveted top hinge - NOT the J-hook drilled thru the glass.

The J-hook style vent window would never seal with the new gaskets - there were decent sized gaps between the glass and the rubber.
3" Rough County Lift