alternator upgrade

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
surfwagoneer

alternator upgrade

Post by surfwagoneer »

So started having issues and need to replace the alternator asap. I have read all about the cs144 swap and that would be ideal but I don't have the time or extra money to throw around right now. Really need something I can pick up tomorrow and swap in. Wife is headed out of town, I work all weekend and the jeep is my DD. Autozone has a 94 amp reman that is a straight swap http://www.autozone.com/batteries-start ... 8448_4678/. Question is can the stock wiring hold up to the bit of extra amperage output? Thanks for any input!
89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 4 inch Rustys spring lift, 1" body lift, dana 44HD front, 14 bolt rear 3.73's.
78 Cherokee Chief- work in progress

letank

Re: alternator upgrade

Post by letank »

the stock with AC is 85 amp, so 94 is not a big upgrade. As soon as your connectors will be clean and free of corrosion, the current will be higher...

But I would stay away from the zone parts, they do not last too long, even with the lifetime warranty, it is getting a joke to replace the same part....
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

my other choice was a napa 85 amp. not usually a huge fan of the autozone remans either but its across the street!
89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 4 inch Rustys spring lift, 1" body lift, dana 44HD front, 14 bolt rear 3.73's.

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

well that made up my mind........NAPA it is