Search function fail

Area to ask questions or post comments related to this forum.

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

Search function fail

Post by Southern Gorilla »

Rather than starting a new thread to ask what I'm sure is a frequently asked question, I tried the search function. I searched for "axle strength" hoping to find out what folks had to say about tire handling abilities of different axles. I got this message;
"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: strength axle.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards."
So how are we supposed to search for commonly discussed topics if we can't use common words?
Having seller's regret.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Search function fail

Post by Stuka »

This appears to be happening for any word. Will look into it and see if I can find out why.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Ahh, figured it out. It has to do with the way the search functionality works. Apparently it is dynamic. So in this case, axle and strength are used a lot, so it considers it to be a very common word. If you search for say D60, then you get results as you should.

Later on I will mess with the settings and see if I can get it to work better.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Nutz-n-Bolts

Post by Nutz-n-Bolts »

If you only want to search for the common words, you could do a site specific search on Google. just type: "site:fsjnetwork.com axle strength" and it will give you results just from this site. Be sure not to use any spaces in the first part until you start to type your search words.
Lover of all Old Iron

60-79 CJ5 The best parts from several years combined to make one tough ALL JEEP CJ
81 J10 Pickup My newest acquisition undergoing a complete restoration

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

Post by Southern Gorilla »

Stuka wrote:Ahh, figured it out. It has to do with the way the search functionality works. Apparently it is dynamic. So in this case, axle and strength are used a lot, so it considers it to be a very common word. If you search for say D60, then you get results as you should. Later on I will mess with the settings and see if I can get it to work better.
I'm curious what the threshold is. How many posts with "D60" would it take before "D60" becomes "too common" and gets ignored? That sure seems like a rather odd function for a forum engine. Why prevent people from searching for frequently used topics? I can understand eliminating words like "the" or "and". But a dynamic filter that blocks the most frequently discussed words is bizarre. Good luck sorting it out. I'll try the site search trick for now.
Having seller's regret.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

see what does come up and it'll be higher than whatever that number is.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

pyro

Post by pyro »

Semi related to thread...any way we can get a "threads started by" search option in the user cp? I thought I made a thread awhile back but I couldn't find it. Ironic. Lol
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

pyro wrote:Semi related to thread...any way we can get a "threads started by" search option in the user cp? I thought I made a thread awhile back but I couldn't find it. Ironic. Lol
You can already do this two ways.

1: You can go into your control panel, and then click the "Show your post" link that is roughly in the middle of the screen. You can do this for others two if you look at their profile.

2: You can go to advanced search, leave the terms line empty, enter the user name, and then below click "search within first post of topics only" and then you can optionally click to display results as topics. Searching the first post only will result in topics that you have created.
2017 JKU Rubicon

pyro

Post by pyro »

Awesome thanks!
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!