New Member of the Family

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
Stuka
Site Admin

New Member of the Family

Post by Stuka »

So, my Wife's Cherokee has been having some issues as of late. So we decided it was time to replace it. She had been looking at Jeep Liberty's for quite a while, so thats what we ended up going with.

This is a 2005 Limited, with every single option available. Drives great, interior is near perfect, and everything works. Got a decent deal on it. Their resale is pretty high in this area. But what I really like about it is that it has an NP242 t-case just like the Cherokee has. This has 2wd, 4wd Part Time, 4wd Full Time, and 4wd Low. So when it is snowing, my Wife can just throw it in full time, and drive it without having to worry about shifting in and out of 4wd. Overall its a pretty good rig, should even get to a few camping spots we like without too many issues. IFS or not, has good ground clearance, coils in back, and a limited slip. I doubt she will let me lift it though :P

Here are some shots of the current family. A coworker (and also a Jeep owner) asked me yesterday if we are growing Jeeps :)

2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Tad
Vendor

Re: New Member of the Family

Post by Tad »

Cute looking jeep.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

lindel

Post by lindel »

Tell him you have a stash of magic Jeep seeds...
Lindel

DC78FSJ

Post by DC78FSJ »

My girl has a Liberty too. They are ok, I just have a little trouble driving it cause the seat is to high.
1982 CJ-8 Scrambler
2013 JK unlimited

Previous Jeeps:
50 CJ-3a, 52 CJ-3a, 76 CJ-5, 79 CJ-7, 87 YJ Laredo,90 Xj 2 Door, 93 Xj 2 Door, 02 WJ Limited, 03 WJ Limited, 03 TJ X,
04 Wj Laredo, 05 TJ Sport, 05 KJ Limited, 15 Grand Limited,
17 Hemi Trailhawk

Topic author
Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

DC78FSJ wrote:My girl has a Liberty too. They are ok, I just have a little trouble driving it cause the seat is to high.
The only issues I have with the seating is that the steering wheel can't be set high enough. This has 7 way power seats, so I can get the hight and all that set perfectly. But being as tall as I am, I wish the tilt wheel tilted up more. The wheel in my Wrangler has quite a bit more adjustment to it.
2017 JKU Rubicon

DC78FSJ

Post by DC78FSJ »

I have the seat all the way back and down in hers and I still feel to high. even when I recline the seat some it doesnt feel right. I'll stick to driving my Wrangler and Cherokee...
1982 CJ-8 Scrambler
2013 JK unlimited

Previous Jeeps:
50 CJ-3a, 52 CJ-3a, 76 CJ-5, 79 CJ-7, 87 YJ Laredo,90 Xj 2 Door, 93 Xj 2 Door, 02 WJ Limited, 03 WJ Limited, 03 TJ X,
04 Wj Laredo, 05 TJ Sport, 05 KJ Limited, 15 Grand Limited,
17 Hemi Trailhawk

Topic author
Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

DC78FSJ wrote:I have the seat all the way back and down in hers and I still feel to high. even when I recline the seat some it doesnt feel right. I'll stick to driving my Wrangler and Cherokee...
Its the low belt line. I feel the same way when driving a Ford Escape. My life likes it as she is only 5ft 3in tall. But I am 6ft 3in tall, So it does feel odd.
2017 JKU Rubicon

RockRollin

Post by RockRollin »

I like my liberty renegade a lot . I did lift it due to stock springs being worn. Did Old Man Emu 2" and JBA 4.5 upper control arms. The ride quality is way better than stock. I do wheel it some and it has surprised me many times. Great ride and Ms KJ likes it

jeep ranch

Post by jeep ranch »

Not a big fan of the Liberty just due to the era it was produced, lots of plastic and lack of straight axles and a real frame. If the Turbo Diesel had a stick offered I probably would have bought one for the ex years ago. However, has anyone taken the turbo diesel and put a decent drive train behind it, with some real axles? I know the turbo diesel version is quite rare.

Brizio

Post by Brizio »

Very nice clean Jeep! I like the color too.

Topic author
Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

jeep ranch wrote:Not a big fan of the Liberty just due to the era it was produced, lots of plastic and lack of straight axles and a real frame. If the Turbo Diesel had a stick offered I probably would have bought one for the ex years ago. However, has anyone taken the turbo diesel and put a decent drive train behind it, with some real axles? I know the turbo diesel version is quite rare.
The Uni-frame setup works well. The XJ used it without issues, as did the ZJ, WJ, WK, and WK2.

The diesel actually had a lot of issues which is why I did not get one. Solid front axles are great if you will be doing a lot of wheeling, but this is a daily driver with just mild trail use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon

Brizio

Post by Brizio »

The problem with the diesel is that the people treat them like gas engine, I mean they don't let warm up the engine little bit, and don't push it on the highway. The VM engine on the Liberty, based on the VM 2.5 used on the Cherokee XJ. On my XJ 2.5 TD I have over 130K miles on it, and not engine issue so far (knock on the wood).

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I almost bought a 2012 liberty with all the bells and whistles- retractable sunroof, custom striped, you name it, it had it.

The local jeep dealership (Barton) wouldn't budge one bit and the two salesmen who tag teamed me were way off. That jeep sat on their lot for a long time, they ended up sending it back to the factory.

It sure was a beautiful ride. Your wife's will do just fine.