Liberty question

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

Re: Liberty question

Post by Southern Gorilla »

I've noticed something after a month and a half of driving this thing-- I just don't care about it. I've been a car guy my whole life. It's very rare for me to own a car that just does nothing for me. But there's just nothing about the Liberty that tickles me. I'm thinking that after I get a real job and get some money together I might sell it and buy a convertible.

It's not that the Liberty is a bad vehicle. I mean, the interior is cheap. But it's been decent to me. It just doesn't do anything my Cherokee can't do. And it doesn't get that much better mileage. And the Cherokee can do things the Liberty will never do.
Having seller's regret.

will e

Post by will e »

My wife adores hers. She likes the size. The 3.6 is peppy but not fast. We have the limited so it has a leather interior (but still kind of plasticky). A/C works like a champ, which is important here in AZ. It doesn't see more than dirt roads. Gas mileage is not impressive.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

My Limited doesn't have leather. But I don't think that would make a difference to me.

You nailed exactly why I don't giggle over this rig. It's peppy, but not fast. It doesn't get great mileage. It isn't particularly roomy or comfortable. It doesn't really do anything well. I might as well be driving a Civic or Prelude. At least it is rear-wheel drive.

If I sell it and buy an old Cadillac convertible, then I'd have something to giggle about.
Having seller's regret.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The Liberty is pretty much a mixed bag. A very middle of the road vehicle. It does nothing great, but isn't really bad at anything either.

My life liked hers a lot. And it towed pretty well (Ours was rated for 5k pounds). Fuel economy was not great around town, but we easily got 20-23 on the HWY.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

will e

Post by will e »

When I do more major repairs on the Liberty I usually drive it for a day or two and it's kind of fun but every day would take the fun-ness out of it.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

Stuka wrote:The Liberty is pretty much a mixed bag. A very middle of the road vehicle. It does nothing great, but isn't really bad at anything either.
Exactly. There's nothing "wrong" with it. It just doesn't fulfill my car-lust.
will e wrote:...but every day would take the fun-ness out of it.
Yup. A manual transmission would help. I just know the rig would be a little rocket without that slushbox absorbing 80% of its torque. (mild exaggeration)
Having seller's regret.

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

I've rented several & believe them to be exactly what they were built to be . An entry level low glitter get by unit that is affordable. I have no problems with them. Drivability & performance are exactly what I would expect. Everything today is plastic that's no surprise. Everyone I know who has had one loved them. They are not in my future of ownership but when in Canada I rent them.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

That was the most ludicrous recall ever. Which is why Chrysler refused at first. NHTSA can't arbitrarily recall vehicles that met and surpassed every safety regulation of the time. Not to mention the cases involving fires also involved being rear ended by big rigs.

2017 JKU Rubicon

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

They also had issues with the PS/Cooling fan system hoses puking oil all over the exhaust and catching fire. Grand Cherokees too. I've seen 6 of them in the past year here.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

So they ordered a recall because those models had more problems than the average of similar models? Do they understand mathematics? By definition, somebody has to be below average. If they turn the worst into the best then there will be a new worst which must mean another recall.
Having seller's regret.

will e

Post by will e »

Reminds of a California Legislator who said "Our goal is to make sure every car gets better than average fuel mileage".

Which supports the old saying, "Half the people are below average intelligence".

RockRollin

Post by RockRollin »

Stuka wrote:That was the most ludicrous recall ever. Which is why Chrysler refused at first. NHTSA can't arbitrarily recall vehicles that met and surpassed every safety regulation of the time. Not to mention the cases involving fires also involved being rear ended by big rigs.

There was also alot of bantering that the accidents survival odds were very low even without the fire.
I have a soft spot for the Mopar underdog, so I am bias. I feel Mopar gets picked on alot more than the other big two. This heavy handed recall is just another example.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeah, pretty sure anybody int he back seat of this Jeep would not have survived. Even if the fuel tank was in front of the axle, the axle got pushed up under the front seats:

2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

What kind of mileage are others getting from this thing? Mine says it's averaging 15.1 MPG. Now I know it won't compete with my wife's Hyundai. But 15.1 seems a bit low to me. I mean, an FSJ can manage 12 or better.
Having seller's regret.

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Southern Gorilla wrote:What kind of mileage are others getting from this thing? Mine says it's averaging 15.1 MPG. Now I know it won't compete with my wife's Hyundai. But 15.1 seems a bit low to me. I mean, an FSJ can manage 12 or better.
That seems just a tad low, especially for 2wd. I used to be in a Liberty group and we averaged 15-18 MPG with the 3.7's and almost everyone had 4x4. Fuelly says it is just a tad low as well: http://www.fuelly.com/car/jeep/liberty? ... bmodel_id=

I do believe the 2002's had a better transmission than the newer ones--- 45RFE versus 42RLE. My old Liberty got 23 city 26 freeway, but I had a tuned 2.8 CRD.
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

nc wagoneer

Post by nc wagoneer »

Hand calculate your mileage. If your going off of the computer it's most likely going to be wrong. Chrysler computers suck...a friends Cummins dually was reading 123.6 mpg on the computer.
77 J20 flatbed FOR SALE
"old blue" 79 waggy-sitting in Jake's full size jeep junkyard, traded for j20 parts
Also:
1986 Isuzu Trooper Factory Diesel/5 Speed
1999 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 (weekend toy)
1984 GMC Suburban K10 6.2 Diesel/700r4/np208
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
"Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial"

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Here is the fuelly page for our Liberty. 11,424 miles tracked over two years.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/jeep/liberty/ ... uka/106498
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

Stuka wrote:Here is the fuelly page for our Liberty. 11,424 miles tracked over two years.

So 16.1 MPG average over street, trail, and highway in a 4x4. Meanwhile my 4x2 only manages 15.1 with almost all highway miles. Something is definitely amiss. I checked the tranny fluid the other day. The level is good, but it has a slight brown tinge to it. I'll see about getting the tranny serviced this weekend and see if that helps.
nc wagoneer wrote:Hand calculate your mileage.
Did a rough calculation last fill-up. Didn't come up with a huge difference.
Having seller's regret.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Southern Gorilla wrote:
Stuka wrote:Here is the fuelly page for our Liberty. 11,424 miles tracked over two years.

So 16.1 MPG average over street, trail, and highway in a 4x4. Meanwhile my 4x2 only manages 15.1 with almost all highway miles. Something is definitely amiss. I checked the tranny fluid the other day. The level is good, but it has a slight brown tinge to it. I'll see about getting the tranny serviced this weekend and see if that helps.
nc wagoneer wrote:Hand calculate your mileage.
Did a rough calculation last fill-up. Didn't come up with a huge difference.
Had our trans served at 95k miles. Both filters (yes it has two, at least for the '05) were pretty plugged. Shifting got a lot smoother and less laggy. It certainly needed it.

Forget how many miles your has, but it may be time for plugs too.
2017 JKU Rubicon