Liberty question

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

Re: Liberty question

Post by Southern Gorilla »

will e wrote:I am about 92.3 percent sure leather was standard with the limited package in the 2002 model year. I wonder if they ordered it special without? Some maybe they were veagans? Some people don't like leather.
I don't know what to tell you. Unless they bought a Sport and then put Limited stuff on it or bought a Limited and then swapped seats, I have a Limited that has cloth seats. I can't find anything to tell me for sure if leather was standard. But based on the fact that I have cloth seats, I'm gonna say leather was not standard. I don't know how they could have opted for cloth if leather was standard. Factories aren't flexible like they used to be when it comes to picking options. Maybe this means my Liberty is super-rare and worth a billion dollars. Or maybe not.
Having seller's regret.

will e

Post by will e »

I found our window sticker. We bought it new. I am NOT trying to start an internet argument. I find it intersting you have liberty badges but cloths seats.
It shows specifically as:
JEEP LIBERTY LIMITED 4WD
Exterior color: Steet Blue Peral COat
Interior Color: Light Taupe
Interior: Seats - Pre Leather Low-back bucket
Engine: Engine- 3.7L power Tech V6
Transmission: Multi-speed Auto, 45RFE

However, the 'customer preferred package 27G' lists
Seats- Prem Leather Low-Back Bucket
Seats- Power front, Driver passenger
Select-trac Full Time 4wd system. (Under standard equpment it shows Command Track
I won't list everything but the obvious:
Audio Ctrls-Steering weheel Mounted
Traveler/mini trip computer
univeral garage door opener
security alarm

I will see if I can find the original dealer books and stuff.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

will e

Post by will e »

This would indicate all limited came with leather:

http://www.allpar.com/model/jeep/liberty.html

Well crap, it also mentions a 5 speed automatic. They didn't have that in 2002
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

will e

Post by will e »

Ah HA. Here it shows leather as an option.

http://www.cars.com/jeep/liberty/2002/s ... -equipment

So maybe limited without leather does exist....

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

So yeah, leather was optional all through out its run on Limiteds. The price for it did drop over time. It was over $2500 in 2002, but only $1245 in 2005.

My thinking is they just built very few of them without it. Typically top end models come pretty optioned out. I know my Wifes '05 literally had every single option there was. From heated leather seats, 6 CD changer with Infinity sound system, skylight, powered mirrors, the ugly chrome wheels (I liked the standard Limited wheels more), tow package, etc etc. Was a good rig, it will be missed when it snows. But the car she has now gets over double the fuel economy and is actually much more comfortable and quiet for trips.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

Interesting. So they sprang for some of the doodads, but not the seats. Odd. Seems to me that the only reason to go for a higher trim level is to get more comfort. I'd have gone for power leather seats before worrying about an outside thermometer.

Overall, I like the buggy. It's nowhere near as comfortable as my wife's Elantra GT. And it's only 2WD. But it is a decent vehicle. I don't know that we'll keep it after my Cherokee is fully operational. It doesn't really do anything my Cherokee can't do. Well, except fit in parking lots. The Elantra would be better for road trips than the Liberty and the Cherokee is a better SUV. That makes the Liberty expendable in my mind.
Having seller's regret.

will e

Post by will e »

I thought about it some more, I think leather was only available on the Limited models, it was not an option on the others.

I guess I would have lost that one on JEEpardy

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

will e wrote:I guess I would have lost that one on JEEpardy
Don't feel bad. They don't make a truck big enough to haul all the stuff I don't know about Jeeps. I'm always baffled when somebody posts, "no, they switched the distributor hold-down bolt from 7/16 to 3/8 mid-way through the '83 model year." Or some such trivial tidbit.
Having seller's regret.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Renegades had leather available also.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

Stuka wrote:Renegades had leather available also.
Speaking of Renegades, didn't they also have a slightly different front clip? I've been trying to find a comparison photo.
Having seller's regret.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Southern Gorilla wrote:
Stuka wrote:Renegades had leather available also.
Speaking of Renegades, didn't they also have a slightly different front clip? I've been trying to find a comparison photo.
There are two versions of the Renegade. Early ones had the same roundy hood. And then 05-06 Renegade and Rocky Mountain Editions that have a flat hood, which IMHO looks WAY better.

2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

Stuka wrote:There are two versions of the Renegade. Early ones had the same roundy hood. And then 05-06 Renegade and Rocky Mountain Editions that have a flat hood, which IMHO looks WAY better.
Hah! I was in the middle of studying the difference when you posted this. Yeah, I like the flat hood better too.

But I found another I like even more.

But it's kinda pricey. Especially if you add the cold-air kit.
http://suncoastcreations.com/a-j-02-06- ... -hood.html

Makes me wonder what other scoops might look good.

Why did I get another Jeep? What is wrong with me?

*I'm just gonna drive it and leave it alone. I'm just gonna drive it and leave it alone. I'm just gonna....*
Having seller's regret.

berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

My ex wife has a '02 Liberty Limited 4x4. It also has cloth seats. A sweet cassette/ CD / radio too! :-bd Before she got that we test drove a different '02 Limited that had leather seats.

My girlfriend has a '06 Liberty Renegade 4x4, that also has cloth seats.

I prefer the roundy hood. :lol:

Side note: 2002 only Liberty's had a taller suspension, maybe be 4x4 only. Granted it was like an inch give or take.
'47 CJ2A My build
'74 Cherokee S 401/auto My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

will e

Post by will e »

It was the early 2002 that had the slightly taller suspension. There was a big 'to do' about how easy they were to roll over so Jeep lowered them a smidge. Ours is a very early 2002 so it was originally taller. I can tell you for sure it is not 'easy' to roll over. The folks with the issue must not have ever driven an 82 cherokee with a soa/sf and no sway bar...

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

will e wrote:It was the early 2002 that had the slightly taller suspension. There was a big 'to do' about how easy they were to roll over so Jeep lowered them a smidge. Ours is a very early 2002 so it was originally taller. I can tell you for sure it is not 'easy' to roll over. The folks with the issue must not have ever driven an 82 cherokee with a soa/sf and no sway bar...
Problem was people drove them like cars. They are fairly tall for their width. It really does not take much to flop them over.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon

berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

My ex wife flopped her Liberty on it's side. :oops: On flat ground too :lol:
'47 CJ2A My build
'74 Cherokee S 401/auto My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

I'd read the lowering happened in early '03. Or at least that some '03 models were released before the recall. I wonder if that's the recall my mother-in-law was talking about. If so, I'll skip it and keep my Liberty all high and manly. Well, as manly as Jeep's version of the Dodge Neon can be.

Oddly enough, one of the first things I thought about doing was lowering the thing even more and making a sleeper out of it. There are a couple guys who've managed to put the 4.7 into the KJ. Back that up with the 6-speed and you'd have a pretty fun little buggy. That could easily lead to giggles when a Camaro or Mustang was at the light beside you.
Having seller's regret.

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

I'd check out that recall the MIL mentioned. The front ball joints were recalled on my 05 KJ twice. I had already replaced them with grease-able Moogs, myself, the second time though.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

I keep forgetting to ask about it. I drive the thing about 30 miles a day to work and back. I haven't noticed anything odd about it. Certainly nothing that makes me worry about the frontend falling apart.
Having seller's regret.

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Probly already done then. There's a tech article on lostjeeps.com for checking the ball-joints. Pretty easy to check, especially if you have a floor jack.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D