Non FSJ shifter help?

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Non FSJ shifter help?

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Sorry for dropping this in the fSJ tech... I thought we used to have a non-fsj section?
Anyhoo...
So I'm trying to get the scrambler back on the road (and eventually trails) since the XJ is now gone. Was under it today looking at the shifter situation and am still scratching my head as to what to do. Running an NV4500, Northwest fab crawl box, and a Dana 300 that will eventually get the twin stick mod to the shift rails.
I have the NWfab triple shifter assembly which was originally for cables. I'm trying to make the shifters direct using rods instead but am having a few issues.
The first is how to guess the correct length and what type of connections to use. Was thinking about baby heim joints and some all thread.
The second is how to get the levers to sit in the same spots and shift easy without them wanting to pop out of gear. Seems like the boot is pushing them some but I'm not sure.
Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?
ImageImageImage

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Non FSJ shifter help?

Post by Stuka »

We don't have a tech area for other vehicles, but we have a general "other jeep related" area: http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=8
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Stuka wrote:We don't have a tech area for other vehicles, but we have a general "other jeep related" area: http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=8
Would you mind shifting this there if it's more appropriate please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigun

Post by bigun »

Why not use them as they were designed?

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Moved topic, thanks.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

bigun wrote:Why not use them as they were designed?
They were designed to use cables. I toyed with them for a little while but never could make them work as I wanted. Routing them was a pain without kinking them and they didn't seem to have enough travel to fully engage all positions.
The rods seemed to be a better idea but I am having brain farts as to how to make them work right. Ideally, all three levers would be in line (OCD) and pointed towards the dash. Pulling back would offer whatever gear selection I was after. But they don't sit pointed forward, more just ahead of center. And the shift boot seems to be wanting them to sit there. Sorta straight up. That doesn't leave much room to pull back to change gears and they feel like they are resisting being in a gear other than in the middle. Not sure if/how adding springs or something would help but I'm hoping this will work.

swampedge

Post by swampedge »

Brims with spacers between the swivel and the lever. Both ends of the rods need to travel on the same arch/hypothetical circle and they will work. So if one lever is at 5* up then the apposing lever should be 5* up or down but they need to stay together through the range of motion. Make since? Jim

You really are judged by the dogs you have!

swampedge

Post by swampedge »

I meant “Heims” with spacers.

You really are judged by the dogs you have!