KL Cherokee Owners out there?

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
Renodemona

KL Cherokee Owners out there?

Post by Renodemona »

I just ordered a 2018 Cherokee Trailhawk. Anyone else on here have a current generation Cherokee?
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: KL Cherokee Owners out there?

Post by Stuka »

Redone has one, which is also a trailhawk.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Yep! I love it! Being a 2018 yours shouldn't have the known issues with the Uconnect or the low range. The important thing is to use your low range. It has a dog gear (gear with teeth on the side rather than projecting outwards, it "bites"=dog) for engagement. The more you use it, the smoother it engages.
Also, the hill descent mode is probably my favorite feature for 4 wheeling. It does wonders for easing squeemish passengers on a hairy down hill.

Forward visibility is awesome, rear leaves a little to be desired. Only a few of the 4x4 modes work in hi, and I really only use the auto mode for dry/wet/snow/ice. In lo you have the full Gambit including the locker. I really only use the locker and Hill descent, I haven't found enough sand or mud to try the modes against the locker.

Another thing I really love is the mileage. Our adventures involve a ton of windshield time, even with the roof basket loaded, we still get 30ish going 70+ enroute to the destination. I took 10 extra gallons with us for the eclipse trip, spent the whole day bombing around the boonies West of Casper and didn't have to wait in line for gas the whole way back to Denver.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

I dunno if they changed anything, but the last cherokee I drove was a rental, and I physically cannot safely drive them. My knee kept hitting the key and shutting it off while driving. I'm not even kidding.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

REDONE wrote:Yep! I love it! Being a 2018 yours shouldn't have the known issues with the Uconnect or the low range. The important thing is to use your low range. It has a dog gear (gear with teeth on the side rather than projecting outwards, it "bites"=dog) for engagement. The more you use it, the smoother it engages.
Also, the hill descent mode is probably my favorite feature for 4 wheeling. It does wonders for easing squeemish passengers on a hairy down hill.

Forward visibility is awesome, rear leaves a little to be desired. Only a few of the 4x4 modes work in hi, and I really only use the auto mode for dry/wet/snow/ice. In lo you have the full Gambit including the locker. I really only use the locker and Hill descent, I haven't found enough sand or mud to try the modes against the locker.

Another thing I really love is the mileage. Our adventures involve a ton of windshield time, even with the roof basket loaded, we still get 30ish going 70+ enroute to the destination. I took 10 extra gallons with us for the eclipse trip, spent the whole day bombing around the boonies West of Casper and didn't have to wait in line for gas the whole way back to Denver.
My new Rubi has hill decent control, have not had a chance to try it out yet. Although also not sure if I will need it with the 4:1 low.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Dr. Marneaus wrote:I dunno if they changed anything, but the last cherokee I drove was a rental, and I physically cannot safely drive them. My knee kept hitting the key and shutting it off while driving. I'm not even kidding.
Wow, even with the seat back and the steering wheel up? Thats crazy.
2017 JKU Rubicon

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I was going to get a pic when my wife gets home, but we're both 6' and we've never had that issue.

Stuka, is your rubi an auto? The nice thing about the hill descent is the Jeep just stops, you have to push the gas to move. Inching up to and then down steps and ledges becomes super easy and controlled, which minimizes the freak-outs from the peanut gallery. Not everyone may need it or want it, but it's made my trips more enjoyable for sure!
Last edited by REDONE on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizzly Locker Rear

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeah I went with an auto in this one. My last JK with a 6sp, but the NSG370 just isn't a good transmission. And the 5sp auto holds up quite well.

Going to have to do a little bit of re-learning going from a manual to an auto. I will miss just letting the Jeep crawl its way over things like a manual can, but will make tricky situations a bit easier.

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

That's a pretty color! Speaking of which, RENO, what color did you order? They got some new colors I haven't seen IRL yet. Also, what options and packages? The leather was a big selling point for us.
Grizzly Locker Rear

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

REDONE wrote:That's a pretty color! Speaking of which, RENO, what color did you order? They got some new colors I haven't seen IRL yet. Also, what options and packages? The leather was a big selling point for us.
Yeah, it's Chief Blue. Which is the same color that you could get on 70's Cherokees.
2017 JKU Rubicon

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Nice! I have a reservation with a premium body shop in November for the hail damage from spring. I didn't want a fly-by-night outfit from out of town so I'm waiting for a reputable shop to have time. I'm thinking of having some nice red scallops added to the sides. :mrgreen:
Grizzly Locker Rear

Topic author
Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

REDONE wrote:That's a pretty color! Speaking of which, RENO, what color did you order? They got some new colors I haven't seen IRL yet. Also, what options and packages? The leather was a big selling point for us.
I ordered the dark blue I think its called Patriot Blue. I wanted the Sandstone but they don't offer it on the 18s. V6, Tow Package, Comfort group, 27E Option group (power everything, remote start, and bigger nav display).

Topic author
Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Dr. Marneaus wrote:I dunno if they changed anything, but the last cherokee I drove was a rental, and I physically cannot safely drive them. My knee kept hitting the key and shutting it off while driving. I'm not even kidding.
I had then when I test drove the limited. I think it was something to do with the seats, the trailhawk had different seats that didn't do that. It was actually much more comfy for me. I also have looked at the Hazard Sky lift (about 1") and some steel roof bars to beef up carrying and off road stuff for it.

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Renodemona wrote:
I had then when I test drove the limited. I think it was something to do with the seats, the trailhawk had different seats that didn't do that. It was actually much more comfy for me. I also have looked at the Hazard Sky lift (about 1") and some steel roof bars to beef up carrying and off road stuff for it.

Awesome! Sounds like a non issue then.

Looking forward to your wheelin' reports
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

I purchased a 2015 Cherokee for my wife about a year ago and she loves it. I like it a lot too, but not for off roading. Just does not do anything form me. Now it is not a Trail Hawk so maybe that could make a difference some. With that being said you could look at the info here on a Cherokee build http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threa ... t=Cherokee

Things I do like about it is it's fast, gets great gas milage. Goes down the free way at 80 and is barley over 1500 rpm. Fun to drive, on the streets...
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Have fun with the craptastic transmission. That nine speed is infuriating, and unreliable.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

I read the same thing once I purchased my wife's Cherokee. With more research it just turns out Americans in general don't like the way it shifts and always think that something is wrong with it. Same transmission in Europe works just fine for them. But, they like performance there.....
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

ghcoe wrote:I read the same thing once I purchased my wife's Cherokee. With more research it just turns out Americans in general don't like the way it shifts and always think that something is wrong with it. Same transmission in Europe works just fine for them. But, they like performance there.....
Yep, we love it to. It is a little different though. Like if you want to shoot across traffic at a one-way stop sign, you have to double tap the gas. If you just push, it rolls out slow. On the other hand, if you're going 35mph on an on-ramp and want to go 70mph, it does it with a quickness! All those gears, it's got the right one no matter what speed your at.
In all, there's not a car on the market I'd trade it for. You know csuengr, I don't think you've praised a single thing in all the years I've known you. I can't recall you ever saying "you know what's awesome? This thing!" Point is, when you poopoo on everything, it kinda loses its meaning. ;)
Grizzly Locker Rear

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

ghcoe wrote:I read the same thing once I purchased my wife's Cherokee. With more research it just turns out Americans in general don't like the way it shifts and always think that something is wrong with it. Same transmission in Europe works just fine for them. But, they like performance there.....
I found the transmission lazy, indecisive, and manual shifting is a joke. It waits too long to downshift while going up hills, so if you are using cruise control, you will lose lots of speed before it will downshift.

Mine couldn't figure out what gear it wanted to start out in, especially when starting off going downhill. It would start in second when you needed first, and first when you needed second. It was almost impossible to get a smooth start. It would start out in first, realize it was in the wrong gear, go into neutral for a bit to think about it, and then slam into second gear. Felt like bad hesitation. Start, nothing, them bam. Mine also starting having a rather audible clunk shifting into fifth. So bad I could feel it. That was at 12,000 miles.

Manual shifting is a joke. I drove a Sonata last summer and it's six speed transmission is soooooo much better. From fifth gear, in manual position I could push the shifter forward three times and almost as fast as I could move the shifter I was in second gear. Great for descending hills. You do the same thing with the nine speed and the shift from fifth to forth takes forever due to having to first rev match before shifting. Then you you have to move the shifter again and again. No matter how many times you move the shifter, it will only shift one gear, so it is shift wait, shift wait, shift wait.

If you are on a hilly road, be prepared for it to be impossible to maintain speed. I will take a GM 4T45 transmission over the nine speed any day.

Nothing performance about the nine speed. They did a good job of making an auto transmission emulate a CVT. It's all about economy.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Hmm. Mine doesn't have any of those problems, but mine is a V-6 Cherokee Trailhawk like the OP, not a non-trailhawk Renegade like you had.
The trans has no problems getting up and going no matter the incline. The manual mode shifts as quick as I can tap it. In fact, it downshifts one gear first just by slapping in over into manual mode. I guess they knew when they made it that if you want manual mode, you want more RPMs. I mainly use it coming down the passes, most recently Guanella, but I've given it the most workout on Berthoud ( it's the one between Winter Park and I-70 for the Flatlanders reading this). Slapping up and down over and over, works flawlessly. Sometimes I do wish it had paddle shifters, but now that I say that, it probably does if I select the right display. I'll have to look into that. :geek:
Grizzly Locker Rear