jeep cherokee chief 76

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
marcbaxis

jeep cherokee chief 76

Post by marcbaxis »

Need help...jeep fires up fine but when driving will sometimes lose complete power and stall...I have to throw it in neutral and it will start back up ...any suggestions I did have the same issue and we changed out the ignition switch that seem to fix it...that was a couple years ago...any help is appreciated

Tatsadasayago

Re: jeep cherokee chief 76

Post by Tatsadasayago »

That's a tough one to diagnose over the internet without more details.
Has this happened at night while you were driving? If so, did the dash lights go out or wipers stop when this happened?
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
marcbaxis

Post by marcbaxis »

when it stalls all power goes out...I thought it was fuel related so I changed all the filters and lines...its wierd how it will just cut out completely and then start right back up...I have noticed that if I pump the gas too much it will not start ...it seems to turn over best if I dont give it too much gas...but still cannot explain once I have the engine running it will stop like its not receiving any fuel at all...

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

That's what I thought.
This is going to sound crazy, but the cause is likely your headlight dimmer switch.

The FSJ cowl and windshield leaks are legendary and when the drivers side leaks the water drips from under the dash directly onto the dimmer switch. Over time the switch corrodes internally and begins to short intermittently. When the short is strong enough the fuse block circuit breaker 'pops' and resets almost immediately. When this happens, your jeep loses electrical power to ignition, instruments, blower motor, lighting and wipers.

You can easily test the switch by removing it's wiring connector, secure it from grounding then driving around. (Or simply replace it for around 16.00)

I pulled my hair out for an entire winter trying to figure out what was causing this.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

letank

Post by letank »

76... you probably still have the distributor with a dual advance diaphragm called Prestolite, derided to known as Presto no light for its consistent failures, of course remember that nothing is supposed to outlast the warranty of the 7 year of original ownership retention

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8413

looks like this

The other option is your failing ammeter, time for a bypass quick solution

http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical ... uges.shtml

remember to always disconnect battery ground terminal before trying to fix any on-going electrical issues...

the quick and dirty is to attach both terminal on the same post of the back of the ammeter gauge, if you do not AC you can reach behind the intrusment cluster... otherwise some removals are necessary
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)