Frame repair and question on how to prevent it from rust...

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
JeeperCreeper

Frame repair and question on how to prevent it from rust...

Post by JeeperCreeper »

Hi everyone,

A new member and owner of an '86 CJ7 is here. Glad to be a part of your community, folks! Some would probably disagree with me, but here's what it is. I love Jeeps, yet hate crappy qualty AMC made them... I did plenty of work about my CJ already to keep it running, yet now I have to work on the truck's frame as its rear rail failed...
So I was wondering, if I still have to do some frame welding and stuff, maybe there is a way to protect the metal to prevent from rust. So wanted to ask your folks experience about the anti-corrosion stuff.... What way did you coat metal (frame) to make sure it won't rust?

Thank you. :fsj:

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Re: Frame repair and question on how to prevent it from rust...

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

Rust Bullet and POR-15 I hear are great products.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

POR 15, or a good epoxy paint.

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

Check out Throttle Down Kustoms. You can get a new base frame for $1895.00. You can add galvanizing for $400.00. There are other options if you want. New boxed galvanized frame for $2300.. plus shipping with warrenty is not bad.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

Topic author
JeeperCreeper

Post by JeeperCreeper »

Thanks for your advice, folks. I thought that I will do the welding by myself, as for now I cannot afford $2300 for the frame... But if I could, I would definitely got the galvanized base... Will write it down, for future... Yesterday found the rear frame rail, new one (aftermarket - https://www.carid.com/frame-rails/) for a little over $100, so I guess will grab one and do the welding first, and then will get the epoxy paint to secure from rust...
Last edited by JeeperCreeper on Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

Rustoleum rust converter or pork 15 the epoxy over the top and you should be good to go for a wjile
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

Adventure_Wagon88

Post by Adventure_Wagon88 »

Also check out Magnet Paints / Monstaliner they make a competing product to POR15 and it's what I'll be using

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I used Rustolium rust reformer on my 90s heavily rusted frame after i pounded the hell outa it to get the flakey scale off, and then use a wire wheel to get the dusty crap off. Frame is pitted badly in the rear and i had to cut out and weld in new sections. I put 3-4 coats probly more of rust reformer on the frame back there. Its been like 7 months now and its been wet even coated in road chemicals from the winter. And not a spec of rust is coming through. Same with the floorboards under the jeep passenger and drivers side. Its holding pretty well. Just use MANY coats and its extrremely important to clean it of the scaley flakey rust.

I doubt your frame can be much worse then mine.. in this picture. I dont have a pic of it painted but im sure you get the idea of what i had to do to fix my frame rails and leaf spring mounts in the back. TBH it took me only two days to fix my frame, using a $100 harbor freight flux welder, and like 4 cans of rust reformer. Just dont breathe in the fumes.. it puts out alot of foggy fumes.. get a respirator for chemicals.. (just a regular p100 mask you need one for chemicals) or hold your breathe.. spray and roll away to take a breath and repeat.. you dont want cancer or neurological issues.

Dont get an epoxy paint.. You want something that CONVERTS rust.. So use a rust reformer and then if you want added assurance get POR15 to 100% seal it from air.. POR15 doesnt convert rust though so thats why i tell people to not use it directly over the rust.. Use a rust reformer first. Harbor freight sell rustolium rust reformer cans for $5 or so. Get the rustolium brand dont go cheap and get the off-brand

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
JeeperCreeper

Post by JeeperCreeper »

Wow, the result is really impressive, thanks for pictures. My frame is in a bit better condition, yet is rusty, so hopefully it will work on mine as well.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Sadly.. there is a salvage yard only 10-15 miles from my house with an 82... the body is rusted to hell and totally beat up.. but the frame... OMG the frame... is like brand new... I wish i had the means to remove my body and put it on the frame of that... Its a shame the wagoneer will be crushed and the perfect frame will go to waste
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)