Willys pickup question

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
44bz

Willys pickup question

Post by 44bz »

My dad has a 1960 Willys pickup. The body is mounted to a mid 80s Chevy frame and running gear. So it has a 350/700r4 and whatever TC came with that drivetrain, but I can't remember right now.

My question is regarding the speedometer cable. The previous owner/builder removed the stock speedo gauge and simply hung the Chevy gauge cluster on the dash where the original gauge was located. I found a good used original gauge to put back in the dash and I'm wondering if I will need an adapter, assuming the cable is from the Chevy which it likely is. I think the Chevy cable has a 5/8 threaded end. Anyone know what size the Willys cable is?

The gauge I bought is still in the mail and I'm hoping to get it installed in my dad's Willys next week when I visit for Christmas. Thanks

Zack
1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Renodemona

Re: Willys pickup question

Post by Renodemona »

I would think it would have been equipped with a T90 originally, so whatever cable that used. I'm not sure if Willys used GM running gear for an Auto, or if they used an Auto, but I suspect that it used whatever the T90 is. I would think that a double ended adapter with X thread on one side and Y thread on the other wouldn't be too hard to find.
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Herk

Post by Herk »

The speedo cable attached to the transfer case, not the transmission. All Dana 18/20/300 and BW Quadra-Trac speedo cable fittings were the same. I'd be willing to guess that a replacement Willys speedometer cable would hook the the current (likely NP 205) transfer that is in there now.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Herk wrote:The speedo cable attached to the transfer case, not the transmission. All Dana 18/20/300 and BW Quadra-Trac speedo cable fittings were the same. I'd be willing to guess that a replacement Willys speedometer cable would hook the the current (likely NP 205) transfer that is in there now.
Unless it's now too short. Big length difference between a t90/M18 and a 700r/adapter/M18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
44bz

Post by 44bz »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
Herk wrote:The speedo cable attached to the transfer case, not the transmission. All Dana 18/20/300 and BW Quadra-Trac speedo cable fittings were the same. I'd be willing to guess that a replacement Willys speedometer cable would hook the the current (likely NP 205) transfer that is in there now.
Unless it's now too short. Big length difference between a t90/M18 and a 700r/adapter/M18.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm gonna work on getting the original willys gauges hooked up tomorrow. Again, all the willys drivetrain components are gone so it's 350/700r4/np205 - no adapters.

I saw it in person for the first time today and it's pretty sweet. I'll try to share some pics soon.

1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

It's a good drivetrain. My only issue would be with the 205. They have a well deserved reputation as being stout. They are also heavy, bulky, and hang down low. Not much room in a Willys frame to clock it up either. It's one of those examples of it works but is massive overkill. I do want to see pics though.

Greenmachine

Post by Greenmachine »

If the Willys has the round speedo like the CJ' you can get a new speedo from speedhut thats gps and no need for a cable. They make one with a tach built in and it has the temp and fuel built in just like factory. I had one of theirs in my CJ6 and it looks stock but is so much better.
1975 Cherokee S factory 360,t-18, 4" hellcreek, slot mags 33" bfg's, performer intake, and Fitech fuel injection.
1980 J10 304, 5 spd, 4" Superlift, 4.88 Gears, 35" Maxxis Big Horns
1961 fc-150 fishing truck (on hold)

Former Air Cav