Timing chain failure 6 258

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
Fredrik

Timing chain failure 6 258

Post by Fredrik »

My 6 cylinder in line 4,2 liter jeep engine from 1983 has run the latest 80 000 km on wood gas without problems.

A couple of weeks ago I decided, after listening to the engine running on high idle speed, that I really need to change the timing chain set on it. I left the car stand in my shed waiting for a suitable moment. I turned the engine a little forth and back from the fan and could clearly hear the chain scraping around inside the casing. So my decision was that the car will not be driven any more before replacement.

Yesterday I anyway needed to pull out a stuck car just a few hundred meters away and did anyway start the engine on gasoline to get this done. The engine started with a loud rattling sound, totally different from what I had heard before and stopped after a few seconds. I broke the timing chain.

My question is: Do the pistons hit the valves on this engine or do they not? In other words, do I have to take the cylinder head off or will the damage be limited to the timing chain assembly? I ordered new gears and chain today plus a set of gaskets.

Is there something else I should think of when I start the process of getting my jeep back in operational condition?

Best regards,

-Fredrik

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Timing chain failure 6 258

Post by Stuka »

Locking this post. comments should be made to the other post here: http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 4&p=129877
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ