Shopping for a new truck

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Shopping for a new truck

Post by Shagoneer »

Hi Everyone its been awhile since I was on,

Im looking for a truck, and my wife told me I can get whatever I want because I will be the one driving it. (She just stole my car so now I get to sell hers to get something I like)
So while going through all of the 4x4 trucks in my area, I found one that stuck out to me.
https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/5723122730.html
a 1961 Jeep FC170 that was purchased by the forestry service.

The seller said it has the original Super Hurricane engine, original axles, original trans, original t case. Looks like an aftermarket bumper, with what im guessing is a pto winch.

So I figured I would come ask you all your opinions since you all probably know more about the FCs than I do. It would be used as a DD, with some mild trails, hunting, maybe a little towing on occasion. Id eventually like a small lift and some bigger tires.

So what does everyone think?
Last edited by Shagoneer on Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the market for a new FSJ

REDONE

Re: Looking at an FC

Post by REDONE »

While the cool factor is off the charts, I would NOT chose a 55 year old unrestored obscure model vehicle for a DD, especially if you need it to get to and from a job. It's not a matter of "if" it will let you down, but "how often".
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

bigun

Post by bigun »

I have to agree with Redone while cool it isn't a vehicle I would want as a DD.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

In that case it looks like ill be going with a powerjoke

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Very cool

although if you do a restomod and you do it right, there is no reason why it would let you down.

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

8500.00 seems kinda steep unless you live in the area the seller lives in- there's always a few FC's the pop up for less money. There was one a few months ago in the New Mexico area for 1/2 the price and it was better looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Yeah, FCs are cool x5 but have inherent issues that are hard to fix due to the scarcity of parts...mostly body related. Yer in deep doodoo should you need glass replaced.
I drove one in high school and even back then it was not very reliable. I had more hassles with the shift linkage and the TurdNado engine than anything else.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Yeah, not for a DD. As a cool side project maybe, but definitely not a DD.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

By any chance does anyone know the story on this? https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/5696886040.html

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

I also went and looked at this today

Its a Willys truck (obviously), with a SBC 350 and turbo 350 trans swapped in. Still has the original front axle, they just decided to use the 2WD trans, when they did the engine swap. If I went this route I could fix this witha divorced np205, or a trip to the junkyard to steal a front axle, trans and tcase out of a chevy truck.
The interior is kinda rough but Ive seen much worse on cars half the age, I could fix this with a bit of insulation and making some replacement door panels.
The exterior is actually in decent condition, not much rust, a coating of paint could fix that.
The PO also took out the gas tank, and installed a modern fuel cell in the bed of the truck.

The only other "problem" is the carb is a quadrajet, so I would swap that for a Holley TA when i had time.

So what does everyone think? Its reliable with the newer engine in it, SBC parts are easy to find,so that fixes one of the biggest problems with it. My only reservation is, is it worth $5500 with the amount of work it still needs?

Topic author
Shagoneer

Re: Shopping for a new truck

Post by Shagoneer »

So the more I show my wife Willys trucks the more she likes them, so I may end up getting it.
So if I do what are everyone's suggestions for fixing the 4 wheel drive.
So far I've considered
1. Finding a divorced tcase and getting new drive shafts.
2. Finding a 4 wheel drive trans and tcase.
3. Putting the body on another frame.

As for the front axle I also have a few options
1. Regear the Dana 25 to whatever the current rear end is
2. Swap out the front axle for something stronger
3. Swap out both axles from a donor.
4. Put the body on another frame/drivetrain

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Congrats, I really like the weathered look of that truck.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Simple. Ditch the 2wd turbo 350 for a Blazer 4wd 350 and transfer case. Find a Wagoneer front axle and a centered Wagoneer rear axle.

For now, I'd say it's worth the 5500 if the swap is sanitary and has a rebuilt motor. If it's used crap sanitarily swapped in offer 4500. If it's hacked in there it's a 3000 dollar basket case.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

Go for it. I'd love to have that as a DD. I'm also with Stuka on the patina. I'd fix it up and drive it as is. It has earns that weathered look. Keep us posted on what you decide to do. Good luck.
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

ClovisMan

Post by ClovisMan »

I hear they fit real easy on a Waggy frame.
88 Grand Wagoneer - The Money Pit - 360/727/NP208 - SOA/SF - Lots of other stuff SOLD
78 Cherokee Chief - Copper - 360/TH400/Quadratrac - 4 inch BDS lift - 33 inch tires SOLD

Mdcptman

Post by Mdcptman »

Love the patina, shoot a coat of clear on it and don't look back.
88 Grand Wagoneer
360/727/208
Edelbrock 2131, non-EGR
Holley 600
Hydroboost
Hedman headers
Dual exhaust
MSD 6A
TFI conversion
Rusty's 2" Add-a-Leaf kit
31 x 10.5 LT15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority Tires
S-10 Steering Box Mod

Quote From Friend's Mom:
"You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

What years did the blazer use a th350? And what tcase did GM use? I'm guessing it's an np208.
Also would it be better to keep the Willys frame or to switch to a wagoneer/s10 frame.

I like the weathered look, however my wife would prefer a fresh coat of forest green paint on it.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

Went back today to test drive it and take a few more pics.

So a few days ago when I was there they were moving all of their vehicles, and the Willys was working perfectly.
Today I got in to drive it, put it in reverse and boy did it move. Then I put it in drive, put my foot on the gas.....and it reved really high and thats it. They told me it had a small trans fluid leak (I expected it, since its a jeep), so they grabbed a couple jugs of fluid and put it in and.....nothing.
So one of the guys at the shops is gonna rip it apart for me and figure out whats wrong, and call me when its fixed.

But in the mean time here are more pics

Here is the rather shiny fuel cell in the back of the rather unshiny bed, you can also see the original style tubed wheels and tires. I would probably switch back to the tubed wheels once the tubeless on it are worn out.

Here is the 350 in all its glory
another engine shot

They originally had two gloveboxes, but this specimen is missing one of them. My plan if i get it is to put a double din stereo/backup cam (terrible visibility) and GPS in the spot and to put panels to its side to cover the hole.

here the bumper. I would try to swap this for a winch bumper when I had time to fab one up.

I forgot to get a pic of the gauge cluster, but this is what it looks like. My plan is to swap it out for a set of digital gauges. that fit in the same bezel.

Heres the door, a new piece of diamond plate, or a piece of pegboard with clothe glued to it would fix this. I was also planning on putting a speaker in the bottom right side on the door, where it wouldnt be messing with anything.

finally you can see most of the interior here. as I said before my plan is to lay down some insulation and possibly rhino line over it. Also the bench doesnt have any seat belts. While I like, this I dont think my wife would approve of not having seat belt while we're trying to start a family. So I would probably swap this out with a bench from a late model chevy 1500 and add in some seatbelts.

Otherwise my only other plans would be converting back to 4x4, possibly a frame swap, and adding a tow hitch receiver.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

UPDATE ON THE TRANS SEARCH
One of my friends has an old blazer her dad gave her that she hasnt touched in years, she said shed give me the trans and tcase for 400. There is also a waggy a couple hours away from me selling for 800. I could probably sell the 2wd TH350 for 300-500 depending on how it looks when I get it off, so the Transmission will pay for itself.
The Wagoneer is a late model Limited trim with working trans, Tcase, and 360. So i could probably sell that for a decent chuck of what I pay for it. (possibly to one of you)

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Hopefully the trans is hooped and you get a screaming deal.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.