WJ Grand Cherokee

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: WJ Grand Cherokee

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

^^ that's what I was gonna mention. The heater issue is a massive PITA. Many a GC has been abandoned due to that issue alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

will e

Re: WJ Grand Cherokee

Post by will e »

My MIL bought a 2004 GC new. It's the limited and loaded. It has about 50,000 miles on it. It's had the blend door issue as well as a power steering issue. Otherwise it is fine. Of course this is low miles, garaged, Arizona and well maintained. IMO it has plenty of power. The engine and transmission are more like older cars that rely on torque as apposed to dropping down a couple of gears. Her's has the 4.7 power tech.

Unfortunatly I have A LOT of experience with the smaller 3.7 power turd. (The 4.7's baby brother) Our brand new Jeep Liberty (2002) came with one of these little jewels.
Shortly after overheating it the engine dropped an intake valve seat. Not too long after that it dropped one on the other side. More recently one of the valve springs broke. I pulled both heads and had the exhaust seats replaced. It turns out these are starting to become a problem too.

Back to the GC. I would go to some popular forums and see what people are asking about. At Jeepforum.com in the KJ (Liberty) section there are a lot of threads about engine issues and the types of issues.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge