sunroof water leak

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
don andrea

sunroof water leak

Post by don andrea »

Hi,
nice to see this forum about GW.
I'm in Italy and I got a problem when it's raining with my GW 1986, because some water leaks inside the car especially on the left side.

I would like to know please if someone can upload images to understand perfectly "the way out-drain out" of the water inside the jeep.

About I see two holes (opening the sunroof) on the front to drain out the water but I would like to know more about...

Where are the two "way out-drain out"? on the A pillar...? What suggest me about?

Someone please could describe me better the method so I could do better the work.

Anyone also know about a new gasket around the sunroof?
All the best
don

Lumpskie

Re: sunroof water leak

Post by Lumpskie »

Hi Don,

The best way to post pictures on the forum is to open a Photobucket account and use the link that has the [img] code in it. In the mean time, the most common problem I've seen with sunroofs is that the drain tubes get clogged with debris on the bottom end. Then they fill up and water comes into the cab of your vehicle. In your post, you mentioned the location of the top end of the drain. Try to follow those drains down to the bottom and see if they are clogged.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Topic author
don andrea

Post by don andrea »

Hi Lumpskie,

thanks for your reply!
I'm sorry but I can't follow at the moment the end of the two drains because the way of those holes are now hidden by the coating on the top, and I prefer not to disassemble the coating without a scheme...
Infact I was asking if someone else could explain the exact way out of the water... if on the A pillar or B pillar...and suggest any way about the leak.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

There are four drain points on the sunroof assembly--at each corner.
You can see the drain pipes at #29 and #32 where the hose clamps are.

The fix at the dealership was to drop the inner bezel and headliner, loosen the hose clamps, pull the hose off the drain pipe and flush with air. I've had to feed a speedometer drive cable into the drain hose and turn it while feeding it like a plumber would use a pipe snake.

It's been years since I last performed this repair and I cannot remember where the B-Pillar drain is.
It is possible that the water flows down the pillar then into the rocker channel and dumps out at the cowl drains.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Skerrvydog

Post by Skerrvydog »

Check the seal of the glass on the gasket. This failed on my 99 Cherokee sunroof, I could push up on the glass from inside when closed and the glass would lift up from the seal, this is where water was leaking in and not being caught in the drain pan but leaking into the vehicle. Eventually had to have whole new glass assembly put in, as they have been known to fly off the car on the highway if the seal breaks enough.
Not sure if the 80's era design is similar, but worth checking.
79 Wagoneer - "Sally" - Work in progress
((SOLD))87 Grand Wagoneer - "Benjamin Brown, Plow Dog": The brown helps disguise the rust.
99 XJ Cherokee - "Jack" - DD

Topic author
don andrea

Post by don andrea »

Great Tatsadasayago, great scheme, is it possible to have the complete paper... so I'll have help to understand well the system and also about in how pull out (and then fix in a new) the headliner, because this work I'll to do in the next.
About drain pipes seems to be at #29 and #30 (not #32), I'm asking what is #32?
The idea to use a speedometer cable it's very good!
Thanks
don

Topic author
don andrea

Post by don andrea »

Hi Skerrvydog,

at the moment the sunroof work fine, but certainly I need a new seal around the car roof.
Someone did change this seal with a new one?
This seal is not easy to find on the catalogue of spare parts...
Thanks

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

don andrea wrote:Great Tatsadasayago, great scheme, is it possible to have the complete paper... so I'll have help to understand well the system and also about in how pull out (and then fix in a new) the headliner, because this work I'll to do in the next.
About drain pipes seems to be at #29 and #30 (not #32), I'm asking what is #32?
The idea to use a speedometer cable it's very good!
Thanks
don
I made a mistake. The hose clamps are #29 and #30 as you said.

You can find the factory service and parts manuals at http://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html

Topic author
don andrea

Post by don andrea »

Very nice, thanks, but please which is the exact link about your scheme?
I found this but I did not find your numbered scheme:
http://oljeep.com/gw/82_tsm_2/82Wagonee ... 3-Body.pdf
All the best
don

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

The image I posted came from the parts manual.
There is another image of the complete assembly in section 3-P of the manual shown in your post.

Topic author
don andrea

Post by don andrea »

Find it!
Thanks
All the best
don

Topic author
don andrea

Post by don andrea »

3N not 3P
;)

ybarraca@gmail.com

Post by ybarraca@gmail.com »

Folks,
I am having the same problem with the drain hose from the rear end of the sunroof. There is no clog (I ran a snake in the hose - nothing was unusual)
But I still have a water pouring into the jeep. The hose is impossible to reach, since its encased between the metal frame. Could the hose was broken inside?