Alternator Belt - 'same' part number, different belts! No more whine

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
will e

Alternator Belt - 'same' part number, different belts! No more whine

Post by will e »

When I placed a load on my alternator it would squeal. The noise got really bad the other morning so I took a look. I touched the pulley and it was really really hot. Obviously there was some slippage.

So I go down to the local autozone and get part number 15510. Unfortunately they only had one in stock and had to order another from 'the hub'.
I go back and pick up the second one and take it home.

That's when I found out they interchange part 15510 with part 51015. I ended up with one of each and they are not the same belt. They both had a 15510 package but the numbers on the belt are different:

I put them both on to show one of the differences. The 15510 is a bit thicker and a sits little higher in the pulley than the 51015.

Here is a side shot of the differences:

You can see the 15510 (top) is much thicker. I called around several autozones and asked them to verify the number on the belt itself. It took about 5 calls before I found another one that was an actual 15510.

I have always had a bit of belt whine, no matter how much I tightened. I had been using 51015. With the 15510 there is no whine/slippage at all.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

motcat

Re: Alternator Belt - 'same' part number, different belts! No more whine

Post by motcat »

This is great info. I have the same alt squeal using the 51015 from Autozone. I'll go get the 15510.

:JR
- John (aka JR)
78 Chief Dad bought new in Kenosha WI, 401, RV cam, Part time kit, Edelbrock+Holly 600, DUI, 3" Rancho, Skyjackers, Crossflow rad, Rust, rust, rust
78 J10 Bob's (Becca's) old J-Truck, Tired 360, Tired TH400, Tired QT, Just really tired, but keeps on runnin

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I knew there was something funky going on with my belt! Oriely sold me the short one too. Rock auto carries the correct number belt. Thanks for the heads up man you just made me very happy.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

So are you going to order from Rock Auto? If you get the right belt from them I am going to order an extra set. I think Motcat is going to get the last couple of real 15510's in Phoenix.. haha
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Brain fart on my part, I've got to find a taller belt in my size. For the 74 belt drive.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

But rock auto should have the correct belt.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

That's odd.

My Honcho AMC 360 (TBI, of course) is setup for a single alternator belt and dual power steering belts. I dunno what part number belts I have on there, but they are old and have never once squealed. Perhaps my 'quick starting, good running , TBI AMC' doesn't require as much juice to power and therefore, the belt never slips...

:fsj:

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Mine squeals like a pig

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I think it's all that cranking on that carb that drains the battery, requiring the alternator to have to work harder, inducing the slippage.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Blake wrote:I think it's all that cranking on that carb that drains the battery, requiring the alternator to have to work harder, inducing the slippage.
:funnypost:

Or the electric choke...

What really did it was the second battery. I did a test drain on it using the fridge I added to the Jeep. When I would flip the switch to add it into the primary circuit it put a big load on the alternator. At one point the noise is what I can only describe as, well, indescribable.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

My belt squeel is so constant and unique that peopek use it to know when i have arrived. "Oh gabes here his car just squeled around the corner"

I dont know blake, I'm usually started within a rotation of the crank as long as the weather is ok. In the cold I "prime" it before I start. Pump it thrice, crank it over two rotations with the kill switch on and the throttle around a quarter open, kill switch off and it starts like warm. Kinda overkill but I enjoy the procedure.

If anything your engine usues more electricity just idling running the computer and higher voltage ignition.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Blake's just having fun with us. ;) His electric fuel pump eats up some power too.

Nikkormat, I like your starting procedure. Mine isn't as bad. Get in, turn ignition to on, turn on electric fuel pump, one pump of the gas to set the choke and crank. It almost always catches. Blakes gonna chime in about just getting in and going... I kind of like the old school feel of a starting procedure.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Yeah I know, I'm having fun with him too.

The procedure, and the feeling of satisfaction when you get it just right the first time is a good feeling. Vapor lock and altitude related mixture headaches are not. That all I want to get rid off.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Hey, just be happy you guys have v-belts. My J10 has the worst serpentine belt setup ever created.

BTW Nikkormat, I edited one of your post up above to change one of your words to funky ;) I don't harp too much on language used here, just keep the f-bombs away.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Is it one of those funky skinny serpentine belts? The like, 1/2" wide ones?

Sorry Stuka I was trying to emulate Bubble's humor, I won't do it anymore. Image

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Nikkormat wrote:Is it one of those funky skinny serpentine belts? The like, 1/2" wide ones?
Its not the belt itself, its how its configured. It was before the days of the spring loaded tensioner. So you use the alternator.

Two problems with this...

1: You can't tighten the belt in one go, since the belt is wrapped around a bunch of accessories. You can tighten about half the length. So you have to tighten, then start the engine for a bit, then tighten again, and do this 3-4 times to get it tight enough to not squeak. A spring loaded tensioner does this for you.

2: AMC's alternator mount requires that you loosen three bolts in order to rotate the alternator. Its a really messed up setup.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Stuka wrote:
Nikkormat wrote:
2: AMC's alternator mount requires that you loosen three bolts in order to rotate the alternator. Its a really messed up setup.
That's messed up. (Office space)

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

That's great engineering right there. Just throw a serpentine belt in our existing v belt setup with different pulleys ha-ha.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

I drained my second battery down to 10 volts. Fired up the jeep, flipped the switch to bring the battery in the charging circuit and no noise! Super happy.

wterrier99

Post by wterrier99 »

Quick question about belts...I am in process of changing water pump and had to remove AC compressor and I am going leave it off but put mounting bracket back on. What belt do I need to use 15423? I think this is right just wanting some feedback. 78 Cherokee chief wide track 360

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk