Hello! Franken '89 '73 and?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
American Grouch

Hello! Franken '89 '73 and?

Post by American Grouch »

I've been a fan of jeeps for a long time, but this is my first full size. I picked it up yesterday in fact so it is brand new to me. While I've wrenched a bit over the years I am no mechanic, I have done most of my own maintenance over the years but I've not done a lot of deep in motor work. The last time I fooled with carbs was on a '79 1 ton long bed club cab dodge with a 440 in it, sitting on 35" tires.

It appears to be a bit of a mismash of years. PO gave me a list of things that were done or changed. For example, the bottom end is from a '73 360, top is from an '89. He said an oil filter from an '89 is fine, but if I was to swap the starter it would need to fit a '73. Allegedly there are 5500 miles on the rebuild.

It runs pretty good, but it is a bit anemic in my opinion which I believe is related to the fact that he built the motor up but it's still using a 2bbl and stick intake even though he dropped a Performer-Plus cam in it. Runs smooth, idles well and hit highway speeds without hickup, cruise still works too. It sounds great because he put in a pro custom exhaust in, duals, the y is where the spare tire would be, so he routed safely around the fuel tank. Appears to be stainless steel. It is lifted and sits on some 35x12.50s right now.

It has the same problems that I've read about, slow windows or non-functional, I've got a lot of rust to fight, other than windows the electrical works right now that I've dropped a good battery in. The Interstate that he had was a good big battery but a check said it was bad. The volt meter would go all over the place when turning lights on or something. I put a Optima Red Top in it on the way home. Heat blows strong as did the AC.

I've got my work cut out for me on the rust side of things, and while it runs and idles well I think I need to swap in a 4bbl intake and carb. I was considering a Edelbrock 2131 and a 1406 carb. I've read that this is a decent combo. I also noticed some black soot on the snow, coming from the left exhaust when I dug on it a bit at idle. Is this a sign of something terrible?

Anyway, I've always wanted a FSJ, now I have one, but with seemingly a good bit of work to do.

Here she is along side my XJ.

fulsizjeep

Re: Hello! Franken '89 '73 and?

Post by fulsizjeep »

Welcome to the madness and congrats on the Wag! :-bd

In 1988 the FSJs got a change in starter set up using a Mitsubishi starter. It uses a different flex plate on the motor. Some minor wiring changes would be required to wire in external starter solenoid used on 71-87 AMC V8s. With this change on your Wag, replacement starters are quite a bit cheaper than the Mitsu.

AMC V8s like to breath so a 4BBL will help though I would recommend Holley over Edelbrock but to each their own.

What is the axle gearing? if stock, it would be either 2.73:1 or 3.31:1. Running 35s on either will make an anemic Jeep. I have 3.73 w/35s and like the road and off road ability with that setup.

Happy Hollydaze!
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
American Grouch

Hey thanks for that.

Not sure on the gearing yet but I'll be moving back down to 33s eventually anyway. Is there an easy way to determine the gearing? Pull cover and count teeth? :P

Thanks for the intel on the starter situation, good to know.

I don't have a preference on intake/carb, just going off what was suggested so I am interested in all suggestions. Not looking to max the motor, just reliability/mild performance improvement followed by gas mileage is what I am looking for.

The sway bar is also disconnected, I drove it the 70 miles from PO to home and could feel it but it wasn't overly dramatic. I ran it up to 65mph and we had some strong lateral wind, I could feel it but it wasn't nerve wracking. Is it bad to run disco'd? Anyone know the bolt size used there to reconnect? They are gone.

Since it's running fine I was going to start on electronics, windows, wiring etc. Is there something anyone would recommend as far as check downs and other things to be alert about?

Thank you!

mud89

Post by mud89 »

A 4bbl carburetor will be an improvement but as said it won't be enough for your 35s if the axles were not regeared
American Grouch wrote:Hey thanks for that.
Not sure on the gearing yet but I'll be moving back down to 33s eventually anyway. Is there an easy way to determine the gearing? Pull cover and count teeth? :P
There is a less accurate but easier way : count the turns number of the rear shaft for a rear wheels 360° turn. A mark with a chalk helps.
J10 81, J10 77, CJ7 80, Gladiator 64, Wagoneer 65, ZJ 5.9
parts vehicles : wagoneer 63, cherokee Golden eagle

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Glad to see you made it over... Image

The later starter is the same as the XJ starter, to switch to it, you would eliminate the solenoid on the fender and run the battery cable and the excite wires down to the mitzu starter.
If you have rust, check the frame where the front eye of drivers side rear leaf spring bolts on. The skid plate holds debris and rusts the frame in that locate.
Congrats on going full size. :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
American Grouch

Thanks for the tips!

Oddly enough I got an email this morning from the other place saying I didn't meet the requirements there. What the hell is that all about?

lindel

Post by lindel »

By other place, you mean ifsja.org? If so, then you need to email Tad. There's been a bad run of bots trying to get membership and flood the site with spam. Had to take drastic action and require that new members go thru admin so the bots can be weeded out.
Lindel

Topic author
American Grouch

lindel wrote:By other place, you mean ifsja.org? If so, then you need to email Tad. There's been a bad run of bots trying to get membership and flood the site with spam. Had to take drastic action and require that new members go thru admin so the bots can be weeded out.
Roger that, thank you.

Brizio

Post by Brizio »

Nice shoot too!!!