is a 1988 Wagoneer with a hemi 5,7 possible?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

66stepside

Re: is a 1988 Wagoneer with a hemi 5,7 possible?

Post by 66stepside »

bkilby wrote:
66stepside wrote: That "guy's" build was funded by Chrysler for a SEMA build. Unlimited funds and parts.

He did not even let the forum members know he was a Chrysler employee for their "skunk works" program to build prototypes. He burned a lot of bridges with his build/posts.

All of his "friends" helping out were paid employees of Chrysler. They're the ones building the JK converted to look like an FC170.
Actually, that guy is a good friend of mine. He and the other guys, some being Chrysler employees, spent their personal time to help build that rig.
Friends or not, beers bought, or not, If you read through that build, it left many folks feeling burned due to it being funded by Chrysler- which was revealed toward the end. Having Chrysler employees building it on their own time wasn't even mentioned. Those simple facts left some bitterness and resentment for quite a few.

Understand that when "many" felt burned doesn't mean "all" felt that way. If some folks are ok with the way it played out on the forum, then oh well- life is kinda like that in general no matter what.

All in all, it's a cool build, but it would've been better for the "builder" to have been upfront on who was working on it and who was funding it at the start of the build rather than the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bkilby

Post by bkilby »

66stepside wrote: All in all, it's a cool build, but it would've been better for the "builder" to have been upfront on who was working on it and who was funding it at the start of the build rather than the end.
It wouldn't have been a very secret "skunk works" project had he blasted that info out a year prior. Lol.

I get that some didn't like the outcome. However he didn't have to take his time to explain the process, show many many pics, answer questions etc. They could have just built it, shown it and never created that build thread. Many people, myself included, reference back to that thread for pics, part numbers and inspiration. The FSJ community should be grateful he documented this build IMO.
Reviving a '74 Cherokee S from the dead.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I'm not reading through those 50 pages of thread, but from memory it seems people were upset because they sold parts at a "bargain" to "help a fellow jeeper" and then got miffed when they thought they could have gouged Chrysler instead. Some others felt they should have been compensated or gotten credit for offering their advice and expertise. In my opinion, both these grievances say more about the offended than the offender. It's a Jeep, not the cure for AIDS, and our precious hoarded parts aren't worth anything sitting under tarps or in boxes above the garage.

I just love a good build, and that was a really good build! :D
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

REDONE wrote:
bkilby wrote:
Actually, that guy is a good friend of mine. He and the other guys, some being Chrysler employees, spent their personal time to help build that rig.
I understand the heartburn, but I like the guy. He's the one that got the Mighty FC and J12 to come to Ouray, and that was pretty special to me. I'd offer him a beer if he showed up at my camp site again. :)

EDIT>>> He offered me the passenger seat in the J12 too, but I had a rig so I passed for someone who didn't to ride.
I followed his build like a heroine junkie chasing the dragon and loved it. When it was outed he was sorta part of skunkworks it didn't phase me. If anything I was happy to see even an underground group in the basement of Chry-Co that had an actual clue. Gave me hope that Jeep wasn't lost.
I'll admit I was (and still am) jealous but he made the Jeep equivalent of one super sexy woman... No bitching about that from me since I'm drooling.

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Hahaha, BK, It can't be a secret build by employees and also just a guy with a "few" friends who happen to be employees at Chrysler in a selective program to bust out cool projects. You're presenting both of those scenarios as if they're both the truth.

Pick a story and stick to it.

The build was a Chrysler secret project no two ways about it. Glad you owned that Fact.

Yep, Redone, you are correct, that was a large part of the problem.

The other part was the representation that this was a guy in his garage with a few friends helping out. That was a lie, or a closely guarded secret- either way, whatever.

If you read his latest "build" there are folks asking him who is funding that build. He's not even working in the same garage as the first build.

All I'm saying is no one should think that amazing build was just a guy in his garage building a cool ride. It was a project funded by Chrysler and built by some very talented guys at Chrysler and couldn't be replicated by anyone without deep pockets and quite a few talented friends.

I drooled over that build and it is one amazing ride. I'd buy the retro FC JK version in a heartbeat if they were to offer it retail in a four door version BUT to say that Cherokee build was anything other than an exclusively Chrysler funded build is a lie plain and simple.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Yeah, that sounds accurate. I hope his build brings the Hemi swap closer to feasible for the OP, but if Chrysler wants us swapping in Hemis instead of Chevies, they need lower the cost to play (not just the engine, but the ability to adapt it computer-wise).
Grizzly Locker Rear

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Hahaha! Hemis are cursed, it seems. One guy joins to make one post about them and look at what happens! :P

Personally, I blame Richard Rawlings. Everything he touches turns to poo.
Grizzly Locker Rear

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

^^hahahaha!!!^^

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Since we're off in the weeds now, I wonder what it would take for Kevin Bacon to show up in Ouray with the Tremors truck. I heard a rumour that he owns it (or at least a clone). I was hoping for Bill Paxton in a mellow yellow, but that never happened. I'll be happy with Charles Cline bringing his. John Cappa threatened to show up once years ago but then he just disappeared. I doubt he still has any of his FSJs.
Grizzly Locker Rear

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

REDONE wrote:Since we're off in the weeds now, I wonder what it would take for Kevin Bacon to show up in Ouray with the Tremors truck. I heard a rumour that he owns it (or at least a clone). I was hoping for Bill Paxton in a mellow yellow, but that never happened. I'll be happy with Charles Cline bringing his. John Cappa threatened to show up once years ago but then he just disappeared. I doubt he still has any of his FSJs.
He does still own FSJ's, although he just sold one of his J-Trucks.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Ok guys, just had to do some thread cleanup. Please keep it civil, and leave the gay slurs to some place else. I will NOT tolerate it here.
2017 JKU Rubicon

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

What's he (Cappa) up to these days? I remember he became senior editor at Petersen, then took a job at Chrysler, then "poof", haven't heard his name since.
Grizzly Locker Rear

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I have an old school 5.3 Hemi - 1957 D500 325CI in a 1957 W100
Power Wagon. Top secret build too. ;)

Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

REDONE wrote:Hahaha! Hemis are cursed, it seems. One guy joins to make one post about them and look at what happens! :P

Personally, I blame Richard Rawlings. Everything he touches turns to poo.

Classic.

I spent the AM off the grid going to Harrison, ID. to drop off some work, I must've missed a show.

Redone, I may have to test the curse on the 68 wag and drop a ultra top secret hemi 6 cylinder in it when the 232 blows up (full disclosure here: I offered to paint the JP Magazine logo on the side on my Panel Delivery Wagoneer when I still had it if Cappa wrote me a 10k check to fund that build, he declined, but was willing to give me a JP bumper sticker in one of 6 colors- I declined because I didn't have any stamps to mail the request at the time. So, I can be bought. Just saying).

I'll set up a go fund me page.

Redone, what's the back story on Richard? Is there a backstory besides what we see on TV?

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Yeah, there might still be the whole article written about him, it was titled "Spank my Marketer". Somewhere between 5 and 10 years ago when he was trying to promote "gas monkey garage" he got real aggressive with his "social media marketing", basically violating every terms of use on every car centric forum. Stuff like starting 15 member accounts everywhere he could, and having fake discussions with himself through the different accounts to create fake buzz about his show. He'd get caught and kicked off and just start over. Some folks took it upon themselves to dig into him and found that everything about his is fake. He's not a car guy, he's not a racecar driver, he was a marketer that decided to market a fake version of himself. He'd buy other peoples restorations/hotrods, take some parts off, and then put them back on as a "build". He bought a pristine, perfectly maintained 50s something buick, all original, garage kept, then hit it with a sander, sprayed it with acid to make it rust quick and called it a "barn find" give-away for one of his promotions. The first promo for his show, he would pee on his own cars and claim they were someone else's (classy, but at least fake), drive through SoCal with open cans of Budweiser in his hand on camera. No telling if it was real since he's so fake, but still attempts to normalize the behavior. Closest he's ever been to a "racecar driver" is the "bullrun" where people like Justin Beiber recklessly drive super expensive sports cars coast to coast just to show that money trumps the law. Basically, he's a counterfeit version of the worst kind of car guy.

NOT SAFE FOR WORK: here's the article: http://spankmymarketer.com/richard-rawlings.html
I was on hottrodders.com under the screen name Ambassador o' Pane (in reference to the LPG 401 I was building for my 66 Ambassador at the time) when it all went down.
Grizzly Locker Rear

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Whoa. That's crazy. It doesn't surprise me, though.

When he opened up a full scale bar for merchandising, it struck me as pretty odd considering how early in the show it was and it had nothing to do with cars whatsoever.

Dang, what people do for money, and/or fame anymore it crazy. Seems like if you dig into things a bit, many things are not really what they appear. Thanks for the backstory.

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Damn! You weren't kidding when you said NSFW! Hahaha, I spit out my MT. Dew I laughed so hard at that pic! Roflmao!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

REDONE wrote:What's he (Cappa) up to these days? I remember he became senior editor at Petersen, then took a job at Chrysler, then "poof", haven't heard his name since.
He worked at Petersens long time ago, worked at JP for a decade or so, and then went to FourWheeler. Just looked there and shows him as a Former Editor, but he is still actively writing articles. He posts on instagram semi often.
2017 JKU Rubicon

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

And he took that pic on purpose! :lol:
Grizzly Locker Rear

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Oh, as for Gas Monkey, Aaron was always the guy that did all the work on cars after the show started. But last i checked he left because he got really sick of it.

I really feel like I should split this topic, except the OP only has a single post, and has never followed up with anything. Because it has gone way off the rails.
2017 JKU Rubicon